PDA

View Full Version : AK build suggestions?

.30-06
February 11, 2016, 02:48
I opened this up on the akfiles and didn't get many responses...I found a NOS romy barrel in my parts bin. I want to build it on either an Izzy Russian kit or make a rifle on NOS parts from KVAR and add optics. I'm not really sure what to do. Any suggestions?

paulo
February 11, 2016, 05:29
What do you want it to be when its done? Are you doing the build?

gunplumber
February 11, 2016, 08:32
Sell the barrel, buy what you want to end up with.

.30-06
February 11, 2016, 13:34
What do you want it to be when its done? Are you doing the build?

Just something fun to shoot with. Something that's a step up from my current franken ak.

.30-06
February 11, 2016, 13:35
Sell the barrel, buy what you want to end up with.

This also crossed my mind. Just afraid I might regret it someday.

gunplumber
February 11, 2016, 15:01
They are scarce, but that only means the price has gone up from the $100 they used to be. They got around the Republican import ban because they had never been on a "non-sporting" rifle.

Equivalent Polish ones are readily available. Some say better since it's a hammer-forged barrel, but it has no muzzle threads. Yes, the Romy is a good barrel. You might get $150 for it.

But no, it's not such an awesome find as to build a rifle around it. You can still buy Romy G parts kits with original barrels for $450-$550.

.30-06
February 12, 2016, 01:14
They are scarce, but that only means the price has gone up from the $100 they used to be. They got around the Republican import ban because they had never been on a "non-sporting" rifle.

Equivalent Polish ones are readily available. Some say better since it's a hammer-forged barrel, but it has no muzzle threads. Yes, the Romy is a good barrel. You might get $150 for it.

But no, it's not such an awesome find as to build a rifle around it. You can still buy Romy G parts kits with original barrels for $450-$550.

Valid points, might as well sell it and buy an Arsenal later on.