PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, nobody buying this chit

Timber Wolf
February 10, 2016, 11:31
I recently stumbled across my Browning SA-22 up on a shelf (I have no clue how it got up there) while searching for something else (PPS-43C magazines if you must know) and pulled it out to shoot sometime. That got me to thinking about my Browning BL-22 that needs to make a range trip also. Nice .22 rifles these be, I like them a lot although I have others that actually get shot in preference to these Safe Queens.

Anyway, thinking about these particular guns led to action so just for grins I looked up both models on Gonebroker to see what the current market is for these. Sadly, the answer is it appears there ainít no market to speak of. Of all the many listings for each (like two pages) there are only two or three guns that actually have bids. And those are either low bids on penny auctions or really special guns.

Run of the mill, nice but still run of the mill, guns like mine get no play at all. Oh well, guess I will just have to shoot my money back out of these two nice .22 rifles. The squirrels in these parts will not be happy to hear that. Of course, I canít find any .22 ammo so it may not happen. Hope my kid appreciates a couple of nice barely used .22s.

Wagontrainer
February 10, 2016, 11:45
I recently stumbled across my Browning SA-22 up on a shelf (I have no clue how it got up there) while searching for something else (PPS-43C magazines if you must know) and pulled it out to shoot sometime. That got me to thinking about my Browning BL-22 that needs to make a range trip also. Nice .22 rifles these be, I like them a lot although I have others that actually get shot in preference to these Safe Queens.

Anyway, thinking about these particular guns led to action so just for grins I looked up both models on Gonebroker to see what the current market is for these. Sadly, the answer is it appears there ainít no market to speak of. Of all the many listings for each (like two pages) there are only two or three guns that actually have bids. And those are either low bids on penny auctions or really special guns.

Run of the mill, nice but still run of the mill, guns like mine get no play at all. Oh well, guess I will just have to shoot my money back out of these two nice .22 rifles. The squirrels in these parts will not be happy to hear that. Of course, I canít find any .22 ammo so it may not happen. Hope my kid appreciates a couple of nice barely used .22s.

So you are having a hard time finding 22lr ammo also?

fnogger
February 10, 2016, 12:15
Sold a Belgian SA-22 in 22 Short (1963 production) last year for $550. Had it posted for a whole hour.

HK91a3
February 10, 2016, 16:50
There was a BL-22 at an auction I attended last fall. It went for over $500.

fnogger
February 10, 2016, 22:13
There was a BL-22 at an auction I attended last fall. It went for over $500.

Yup, the demand is out there. Post it on rimfirecentral in their trading post and a notice up in the Browning section and it will sell quick

Gazz
February 11, 2016, 07:54
When using Gunbroker to determine the going rate, don't bother with the stuff that is currently listed for sale, go to the completed items and look there. Select advanced, completed items and near the bottom of the page you can select for up to 90 days of past auctions. This will show what sold, what didn't sell and for how much.

Blackmore
February 13, 2016, 12:14
When using Gunbroker to determine the going rate, don't bother with the stuff that is currently listed for sale, go to the completed items and look there. Select advanced, completed items and near the bottom of the page you can select for up to 90 days of past auctions. This will show what sold, what didn't sell and for how much.

You also want to click on "Highest Number of Bids First".

c0wb0y84
February 13, 2016, 23:12
I was in the market for a SA-22 a year ago and what I found was that I could get a new one for $550 online (best deal I could find) add about $20-25 for shipping and another $25 for the transfer fee = about $600 total investment. At that time the local Gander Mountain just happened to have a sale going on where I picked one up for about $600 out the door if I remember correctly +/- $20. I also found from research that people selling the used ones that are in good shape think they're worth the same as new ones. I realize there can be a difference between the Belgian made ones and Japanese ones but that didn't really matter to me.

ALL FAL
February 17, 2016, 23:18

Anyway, thinking about these particular guns led to action so just for grins I looked up both models on Gonebroker to see what the current market is for these. Sadly, the answer is it appears there ain’t no market to speak of. Of all the many listings for each (like two pages) there are only two or three guns that actually have bids. And those are either low bids on penny auctions or really special guns.

Run of the mill, nice but still run of the mill, guns like mine get no play at all. Oh well, guess I will just have to shoot my money back out of these two nice .22 rifles. The squirrels in these parts will not be happy to hear that. Of course, I can’t find any .22 ammo so it may not happen. Hope my kid appreciates a couple of nice barely used .22s.

QUICK, call CCI and ask them why you have not been able to FIND .22 ammo there for years, Make them tell you what the problem is.

Eu .22 is available and ace stuff though more expensive, don't leave those boys useless but pretty clubs.

I have found a Use for the ?Flu? so I'll go hang out at Wally world at 4:30 am and pass the Bug to the Neckbeards in the ammo line, Cough, Hack, flinging slime (Rott taught me thatN). The licking of all those door handles will suck though. kidding.
I know, dump spit cup on rag, then use to wipe their handles.

.30-06
February 18, 2016, 14:23
Of all places in the US, I don't understand why the south is having such a .22 shortage.

ALL FAL
February 20, 2016, 02:45
Of all places in the US, I don't understand why the south is having such a .22 shortage.

Makes me wonder too. Neckbeards? we have a chitload of them in Oregon/Hippies I outgrew them in highschool.

http://www.copesdistributing.com/
http://gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/ armscor 36gr 500 round box 47.95 .9cents a round.

Good luck Gent's Hope you get some, it's in stock, take a LOOK.

EPC WN
February 20, 2016, 07:12
What I don't understand is why you fellers didn't buy tens of thousands of dem itty, bitty boolits for a penny a piece in the way back when. Buy it cheap and stack it deep. Still have 8 boxes of the 525 count rolling around I'll probably never use...

Tibodoe
February 22, 2016, 17:42
My local Walmart has been having Winchester SuperX 22 as of late.
Picked up 300 2 weeks ago and 500 the week before that.

45x4
March 09, 2016, 17:30
I have been talking to some .22 shooters in the UK, they have no trouble finding most American .22 ammo! WTH? Here in the Rockies, we cant get any.

Bonac9
March 10, 2016, 10:20
The thing about GunBroker I always checked was whether there was a reserve. It seems a high percentage of those with reserves and a low start price were sellers with very high expectations as far as the reserves went. Bidders lose interest when they see the same items coming up month after month from the same seller and not meeting the reserve.

one hand clapping
April 09, 2016, 09:40
Methinks the oligarchs have been using our tax $$$ to buy up the 22 production ,so as to break the training cycle for young shooters.
Most all American youth start out on the 22. Make it real hard to get 22 ammo and you reduce the number of future rifle shooters here.
I can imagine warehouses of it , purchased with tax $$ being dumped into the ocean, or sent overseas to be given away.

The neckbeards don't have the funds to be gobbling up the last four years of production, all on their own.

ALL FAL
April 09, 2016, 20:48
Methinks the oligarchs have been using our tax $$$ to buy up the 22 production ,so as to break the training cycle for young shooters.
Most all American youth start out on the 22. Make it real hard to get 22 ammo and you reduce the number of future rifle shooters here.
I can imagine warehouses of it , purchased with tax $$ being dumped into the ocean, or sent overseas to be given away.

The neckbeards don't have the funds to be gobbling up the last four years of production, all on their own.

You are one Brilliant lady and that sounds exactly like what the Anti's would/have done.

The only problem I see is that the .22 ammo makers would be slitting their own throats eh? Would be very interesting to get a straight answer out of the .22 makers CEO's as to whether they have been "Talked to".

bubbagump
April 12, 2016, 05:42

Yeah I've wondered about this too.

b.

ALL FAL
April 12, 2016, 14:35
How is what WE can figure out, CCI does take calls from the public. Long ago, the Honest Media used to root out problems of this nature, sure is Not that way now.

If you can't find .22's then Buy the Aguila and Eley, sure it costs more, but is the best you can get.

Very Hard to believe this is just a supply and demand issue.

fnogger
April 13, 2016, 11:14
CCI produces 4 million rounds or so per day (per a video of their production line/system/How Its made kinda thing). Assuming there are only 500 wal mart stores, and wal mart is the *only* place that sells CCI rimfire ammo, that is only 16 bricks per day per store.

A quick google says there are actually 5000 walmart stores... so assuming they are the only place to buy CCI rimfire, that is only 16 boxes of 50 rounds per day per store...

Assume Federal production is the same/similar... and Remington as well. And Winchester. That is still less than 4 bricks per day per Walmart store, never mind the other big retailers (gander, academy, dicks, bass pro, etc).

That said... the bulk cheap plinking ammo sells quick and fast. So many of us got burned in 2008 after Obama's first election... and many of us tried to stock up in anticipation of troubles due to the 2012 election. We got troubles, but not until Sandy Hook in Dec. '12. So now you have hundreds of thousands of shooters who have said "I gotta buy what I can when I can just to be able to plink". A afternoon range trip with my son is good for at least half a brick down range, and that is only with the bolt actions... bring out the semis and double it.

Now, the bulk cheap stuff - Win 555 (222/333), Remington GBs, anything in bulk packs is sold quick. The single box stuff not as quick, but it still goes at the big box stores.

But you know what? For the past 3 years, I've been able to buy the low end match ammo (TAC-22, SK Std+, SK Magazine) I prefer any time I've had the money to spend on it. And for the past 5 or 6 months, local small shops have had CCI SV, CCI MiniMags, Fed AutoMatch, etc. available for 8 to 10 cents per round.

But now "we" are anticipating election related issues again, and "we" are all still trying to stock up to replace what we've shot in the past 4 years.

CG&L
April 13, 2016, 12:22
When it becomes apparent to most that Hillary has this election in the bag, 22 ammo will get hard to find again. And expensive when you do find it

When do the candidates get nominated? November 5th is really going to spike prices