PDA

View Full Version : Century Sued for $5 Million over AK saftey

Bubacus
February 09, 2016, 06:48
Looks like the lawyer that sued Taurus is headed over to Century Arms for a law suit:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/02/08/century-arms-faces-5-million-class-action-lawsuit/

Century Arms Faces $5 Million Class-Action Lawsuit

Posted 12 hours ago in AK-47 / AK-74 / Everything AK, Companies by Nathan S. with 67 Comments

Century Arms, Inc. is now subject to a class-action lawsuit filed on January 19th over defective AK-47 safety / selectors. In short, the lawsuit claims that the safety / selector used on most Century Arms AKs after 1995 are capable of moving past safe and when moved such, able to discharge a round unintentionally.

An example video of the defect is courtesy of YouTube channel MattV2099which showcases the issue:

<iframe width="660" height="402" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8Z8vRS09OgM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The case also calls out a video from channel IntoWeapons, which also demonstrates the issue of the full auto safety / selector. Of late, Century has had a few videos showing issues including this one of a weapon catastrophically detonating.

And before you think the case is frivolous, the plaintiff has retained Angelo Marino, Jr. who previously won a class-action against Taurus International to the tune of $30 million.

The suit is filed as Erickson vs. Century Arms et. al. in Federal Court in Florida. Damages are sought at or above $5 million by the class. The suit alleges that Century did not warn consumers about the issue when it that they knew, or should have known based on testing, that the safety selectors in question could cause the issue.

The lawsuit specifies models C39, M70, 1960, 1980, and other 7.6239 chambered semi-automatic AK-pattern rifles.

If you have any rifles that may be effected, I would advise that one replaces their safety / selector.

gunplumber
February 09, 2016, 07:35
He should be suing ATF, as it is ATF that required the altering of the disconnecter which allows this to happen.

It takes 2 minutes with a Dremel tool to prevent it.

Kingtubby
February 09, 2016, 11:35
The lawsuit specifies models C39, M70, 1960, 1980, and other 7.6239 chambered semi-automatic AK-pattern rifles.

Dang it! I was too smart to ever buy any of these rifles. Now Im gonna miss out on my $100 class action payday. :nopity:

tywest
February 09, 2016, 12:53
He should be suing ATF, as it is ATF that required the altering of the disconnecter which allows this to happen.

It takes 2 minutes with a Dremel tool to prevent it.

Thats what i would tell the lawyer.....barking up the wrong tree there spot

But you cant exactly sue the government with the whole corporation thing so thats a sticky bag to dig in

Gunbroker
February 09, 2016, 13:26
Dang it! I was too smart to ever buy any of these rifles. Now Im gonna miss out on my $100 class action payday. :nopity:
I feel the same way lol

Drtrumpet
February 10, 2016, 00:22
There is a protrusion on the top cover that is supposed to prevent the safety from over rotating.

gunplumber
February 10, 2016, 07:32
There is a protrusion on the top cover that is supposed to prevent the safety from over rotating.

Except on Yugos (!)

Drtrumpet
February 11, 2016, 00:58
Except on Yugos (!)

True, though the selector would have to be way out of whack to rotate up over that thick dust cover. I think this happens mostly when guys have the dust cover removed and are dicking around with the selector. The tip of the selector should be snug against the side of the rec and should make contact with the dust cover when in the safe position, at least in my observation. All that said, it seems AK people are able to screw things without much effort, mostly due to ignorance of the design and how it should function. I've seen some pretty interesting things over the years lol. I'm sure you have also.

Another thought, I recall some threads about stiff selectors, where it is suggested that the selector be bent away from the receiver to relieve the tension and make it easier to move the selector. I can see where this modification would make over rotation of the selector easier.