PDA

View Full Version : yugo mess...help!

kmdh37
February 04, 2016, 18:17
trying to resurrect a Yugo underfolder kit. It was milled with a threaded barrel. Can I have the barrel threads turned down and convert it to a press fit? I measured and it's 23mm+ on the non threaded portion of the barrel. Second question...will I run into trouble finding a front trunion that interchanges with the Yugo bolt/carrier? The original handguards were butchered, can I modify akm handguards to fit? Gas block was also butchered, will it's replacement have to be Yugo or only one that fits with the new front trunion?

I basically have a parts kit that was at one point subject to a horrible attempt at building. I'm aiming for a rifle build, simple & plain ak with wood furniture.

thanks in advance!

squirrelblaster
February 04, 2016, 20:10
PM sent!

Drtrumpet
February 05, 2016, 00:56
Yugo hand guards are not interchangeable with akm. You would want a stamped Yugo barrel trunnion and under folder trunnion. You could also sell off the m64 kit you have and buy an akm kit, since it seems that's the direction you really want to go.

gunplumber
February 05, 2016, 11:56
+1.

Yugos are unique to Yugo. An AK (not AKM) base, with their own unique modifications. Personally, I'd never own a Yugo.

Sell all that crap off and buy a standard AKM kit. A Polish underfolder if that's the way you want to go. Although from a practical standpoint, side folders (standard trunion) are better shooting platforms.

Far better gun, in my opinion.

kmdh37
February 05, 2016, 15:06
appreciate the input guys.

Shag
February 05, 2016, 21:28
+1.

Yugos are unique to Yugo. An AK (not AKM) base, with their own unique modifications. Personally, I'd never own a Yugo.

Sell all that crap off and buy a standard AKM kit. A Polish underfolder if that's the way you want to go. Although from a practical standpoint, side folders (standard trunion) are better shooting platforms.

Far better gun, in my opinion.

I personally prefer yugo's, heavy barrel, BHO mags, gas shutoff, milled reciever on a lot, what's not to like? In my opinion the yugo's are better in every way.

So as barrels go i'm not sure who has any early type threaded ones, but there must be a source, probably someone with a lathe on akfiles does them. Is this a m64 style BHO reciever? Meaning it has a big lump on the side to fit a the mechanism? The BHO guns are kind of a pain in the ass since they take special(or modified) mags but it is sweet having a full BHO.

If you can get a yugo threaded barrel it sounds like you have a nice reweld project. Do you have all the reciever pieces? Yugo wood is pretty cheap, apex just listed plastic too. The gas block is a yugo only but there are some non-grenade ones floating around cheaply since some people are converting import yugo's to military config

Otherwise you can use the bolt/carrier, top cover, and handguard for a standard akm build.

gunplumber
February 06, 2016, 10:30
I personally prefer yugo's, heavy barrel, BHO mags, gas shutoff, milled reciever on a lot, what's not to like? In my opinion the yugo's are better in every way.

If I ever feel the desire to have a Yugo, I'll just tape a brick to the side of my Bulgarian.

Shag
February 06, 2016, 11:18
If I ever feel the desire to have a Yugo, I'll just tape a brick to the side of my Bulgarian.

Ha! yea i can see that. I love the heavier stuff but i'm a young-ish guy that can handle the heavy stuff, plus i cant hit anything so i'll make it up in volumn! The Yugo guns IMO were great for a defensive war which yugoslavia would have fought during the cold war. Anyway off topic

RG Coburn
February 06, 2016, 20:11
2nd selling it...the m64 is a tougher build for a newbie. It had a unique milled receiver,unique barrel.

Whydah
February 07, 2016, 14:15
I have a Yugo underfolder and it is noticeably heavier than most. But to guys who hump FALs around its a light-weight in comparison. It also is very accurate and hits were the sights point, unlike the ARS-built Romy I have that still hits 1 to 2 inches to the right at 50 meters even after drifting the front sight all the way over.

gunplumber
February 07, 2016, 14:41
unlike the ARS-built Romy I have that still hits 1 to 2 inches to the right at 50 meters even after drifting the front sight all the way over.

Interesting. It shot straight when it left here, as I personally test-fire and zero every rifle. So I suspect there is more to the story. Which explains why you save your little jabs for here instead of contacting me directly. Or maybe you did, and discovered that my warranty doesn't apply after 10 years and 3 owners.

Vaughn L. Allen
February 07, 2016, 21:34
Interesting. It shot straight when it left here, as I personally test-fire and zero every rifle. So I suspect there is more to the story. Which explains why you save your little jabs for here instead of contacting me directly. Or maybe you did, and discovered that my warranty doesn't apply after 10 years and 3 owners.

Hahahahahaha, too funny!

You're killing me!!!

A 10 year warrant... Really???

Mark, I bought an ARS build from a pawnshop 4 years ago and have shot the shit out of it since then... It's shooting a little to the right, will you fix it for me???

Drtrumpet
February 08, 2016, 19:02
I have a Yugo underfolder and it is noticeably heavier than most. But to guys who hump FALs around its a light-weight in comparison. It also is very accurate and hits were the sights point, unlike the ARS-built Romy I have that still hits 1 to 2 inches to the right at 50 meters even after drifting the front sight all the way over.

Well..either your fsb got knocked out of whack, your rear sight leaf is bent, or your barrel is bent. All of which would have prevented the rifle from leaving Mark's shop imo.