PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand trigger group

pasote
February 02, 2016, 23:53
Hello everyone. Back in 1990 I started High Power competition shooting a springfield 1943 dated receiver M1 Garand that had a Springfield Armory dated 11/66 barrel with a bright shiny bore. I had the rifle accurized by an experienced ex-national guard armorer who glass bedded the action, modified the handguards and trigger group in the stock, and added national match sights. I shot several matches with it, and did well, but at one of our weekly practice sessions, during one of our rapid fire strings, I had a problem with it. I had fired 2 shots, reloaded a full clip and after the 4th shot of the full clip, it went full auto pumping out 4 shots quite rapidly. I did manage to hold the rifle unto the target. (what a lousy group!) but, needless to say, I was banned from further participation at the rifle range until I came up with a new rifle. I bought a competition level M1A and continued to compete. I no longer compete but I still have the M1 Garand and I want to fix it. If I buy a complete trigger housing assembly from gun parts corp and swap out the assemblies will that fix the problem? They want $130.00 for it. Is that reasonable? Any help you could give me would be appreciated. Thank You.

Orlando8
February 03, 2016, 05:44
Its either the hammer or trigger or both, you do not need to repalce the whole assembly.
Watch this video and see if yours will work as it does. I have excellent condition hammers for sale

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/th_MOV06864_zps8749d9d0.mp4 (http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f197/Garandlover/misc/MOV06864_zps8749d9d0.mp4)

ArtBanks
February 03, 2016, 05:57
Replace the trigger/sear, hammer and pins with NOS and you will be good to go. Your quoted price for parts is about the going rate.

TARGSHOOT
February 03, 2016, 08:56
Sent you a Pm ..

GIshooter
February 03, 2016, 09:51
Agreed REPLACE THE PINS as well as the hammer and trigger. The trigger pull can suck if the pins are worn. Should be replaced as a set.

Orlando8
February 03, 2016, 17:03
Dont replace anything until doing the trigger check shown in my video

Democrat1
February 05, 2016, 21:48
I've been shooting Garands in competition since 1982. I've had 4 match accurized. One of those, when it came back, would consitently double, but never 3 or 4 shot birsts. Replacing the hammer & trigger fixed it.

There is another way multiple shots can be fired, refe%ed to as milking the trigger. I have tried to get it to happen with several Garands, and never succeeded. It is supposed to happen with some Garands when one takes up some trigger slack, releases it, then takes up a bit more, releases it, then a bit more, until it fires.

Did you look at the primers on the 4 burst fired cases? Curious if they showed good firing pin indents.

I used about the most sensitive primer available for many years in .308 and .30 caliber ammo for Garands. I was very careful to have all primers seated below flush. I only use really hard primers in these rifles any more. In a rifle with no firing pin retraction spring, it is possible to have a rifle run away if one is using reloads with soft sensitive primers. I had it happen with a Soviet design once.

Orlando8
February 06, 2016, 15:39
The trigger test in my video will tell you if its parts or shooter related

tdb59
February 06, 2016, 16:15
Improper stock dimensions / improper bedding at the tang of the trigger group will cause doubling as well.

"E. The distance from the top of the stock to the small bedding surfaces for the rear of the trigger housing is too large. On BOTH the M1Garand and M14 stocks, the correct distance is 1.725” or slightly less. They may wear down to just over 1.700.” You can check this distance using good dial calipers and measuring from inside the stock. This distance is critical so the bolt will force the hammer down far enough for the trigger assembly to reset correctly. If the distance is too great, the bolt can’t force the hammer down low enough for the trigger assembly to reset.

Back in the early 2,000’s – there was a huge problem with this when people were using Boyd’s commercial stocks for M1 Garands. The stocks were making rifles double or triple all over the country. Well, the reason was the distance between the top of the stock and the two bedding surfaces for the rear of the trigger housing on those stocks ran 1.735 – 1.750” or even slightly larger. The ones where the distance was close to 1.750” were the ones most often doubling, though even some of the stocks with the 1.735” distance did it. The cure was to pare or cut the two small surfaces a bit higher in the stock until the distance was back in spec. I have also seen this with some commercial M14 wood stocks as well.

Another way this can happen is if someone does not correctly glass bed the trigger housing. Sometimes if you don’t push the rear of the trigger housing up into the stock when you bed it, there can be too much bedding under the rear of the housing. When the bedding cures, then it will make the distance too great for the bolt to reset the trigger assembly. This is something we Military NM Armorers learned from glass bedding the M1 and M14. So IF your stock has been bedded there and the rifle doubles, check to see if the measurement is correct.
"

http://m14forum.com/gus-fisher/107035-causes-doubling-m1-s-m14-s.html