PDA

View Full Version : In need of a good S&W mod 10 wheelgun smith

MilsurpMonkey
January 29, 2016, 15:41
So, picked up a little "gem" I couldn't live without from gunjoker last night and I need some help. It's a US Navy contract Victory model with all matching numbers, decent bore and no import marks. The good stops there. It has acceptable timing and lock up... Until you put any resistance to the cylinder, then it fails to fully advance. Every spring in the gun is weak with exception of the main spring, and yet I still like thus crummy paperweight. Going to have to send it out for a rebuild, can't find anyone locally who knows revolvers all that well, any suggestions?

W.E.G.
January 29, 2016, 17:00
Its a simple machine.

Just take it apart and replace parts that are worn.

Parts for a Model 10 are available if you Google.

Retired Bum
January 29, 2016, 17:37
Smith & Wesson produced 300,000 .38 Special Victory Models during World War Two. A quarter million of them went to the US Navy and are so stamped.

As W.E.G. stated finding the necessary parts and springs shouldn't be a problem. S&W long action K frame parts are out there.

I own a .38 Special Victory that didn't go to the US Navy. It was one of the 50,000 that was shipped to the DSC aka Defense Supply Corporation which was operated by the federal gov't during the war. The DSC provided restricted items such as firearms and ammo to other gov't agencies, federal, state, and local. Police departments and defense plant security being prime examples.

Mine was shipped from the factory in Nov/Dec 1943 to the DSC who in turn transferred it as part of a group of Victory Models to the O.S.S. aka the Office of Strategic Services, the ancestor of the C.I.A. After the war the O.S.S. was disbanded by President Harry Truman and all of its assets were returned to the gov't. The revolver was part of a group of Victory Models transferred to the Illinois State Armory who in turn shipped it and others to the Illinois State Prison at Statesville. The prison stamped an inventory number on the left side of the frame behind the trigger guard. ISP XX. Later on the prison got rid of the old Victory Models and sold them as surplus which is how mine got into circulation.

The above information is not speculation. It was provided to me by a member of the S&W Forum some years ago who is the forum's Victory Model expert. He has a data base on both US and British Contract Victory Models and has all manner of information available.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

nvcdl
January 29, 2016, 20:06
I think the springs are pretty much the same on all the K/N frame smiths - even the old ones.

MilsurpMonkey
January 29, 2016, 20:15
Actually the Navy orders totalled 65,000 guns, 1st order was for 20k second was 45k. And not all navy guns were marked. First order was marked US Navy on the top strap at the S&W factory, second order was unmarked by the factory and later markings were applied by the Navy. Second order also saw unmarked guns shipped to the Navy Strategic Services office at the Rosslyn Navy yard for dispersal to the OSS, I've got a Colt Commando shipped to the NSS warehouse in Rosslyn, Va according to Colt.

BUFF
January 29, 2016, 22:40
If the cylinder doesn't turn far enough when cocked (called "carry-up"), the springs have nothing to do with it. The worn part or parts are the hand and/or the ratchet.

This isn't a problem if the cylinder ALMOST makes it to lock-up under resistance, because when shooting it for real, momentum will rotate the cylinder the rest of the way when you cock it normally, before the hammer falls. When shooting, you shouldn't be doing anything that drags on the cylinder.

A lot of perfectly serviceable revolvers act like yours when brand new.

MilsurpMonkey
January 29, 2016, 22:49
I've no doubt there are worn parts, but most of the springs are gone or half gone, literally, half the extractor spring is gone.

croftonaviation
January 31, 2016, 09:20
Darrel Hoover in bardstown ky. His number is 502-428-1761. He is a small time old school gunsmith who can fix your revolver very reasonably. A friend had a k-22 that had some major issues and Mr Hoover fixed it correctly and timely. He also does a wonderful hot blue if you ever require that service. He went through a old 5 screw for me and I was more than pleased.

Good luck

Tom

MilsurpMonkey
January 31, 2016, 21:25
Thanks, I believe I've found a fellow Filer to assist with the rebuild. Should turn out to be nifty little shooter.

19&41
February 02, 2016, 20:34
You might give Numrich/Gun Parts a try for the springs and take a couple of days and do cleaning and replacing. I had to do that on my recent 64 to get it running right.