PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on BOYS .50

karambay
January 26, 2016, 14:57
Hey all, going to look at a boys converted to .50 cal. I hear comes with a few extra mags transit case and a few other odds and ends.

Price is 4K. I haven't been able to find much to gauge the value. My thought is for that money I'm better off getting a 82A1. Not sure how much 'collectible' value there is in one that's converted from the .55 although it's obviously easier to purchase/sell? Where I'm living, not impossible to shoot, though honestly I likely wouldn't shoot it a lot.

karambay
January 26, 2016, 14:59
Posting this here as well for visibility.

Hey all, going to look at a boys converted to .50 cal. I hear comes with a few extra mags transit case and a few other odds and ends.

Price is 4K. I haven't been able to find much to gauge the value. My thought is for that money I'm better off getting a 82A1. Not sure how much 'collectible' value there is in one that's converted from the .55 although it's obviously easier to purchase/sell? Where I'm living, not impossible to shoot, though honestly I likely wouldn't shoot it a lot.

Andy the Aussie
January 26, 2016, 17:15
Even at my distance away it sounds expensive mate. I know that some people toyed with converting Boys here to .50 but I also have some vague recollection of issues with actions stretching, that is a LONG time ago now though (80s).

Andy

tac-40
January 26, 2016, 17:21
Taking a look at the auctions, the unmodified .55 cal rifles are going for $15-25K depending on condition and accessories. Here is a Rock Island Auction of a Boys converted to .50 BMG and is in pretty good shape. Looks like your rifle would be close to the this RIA sale estimated price.

http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/52/lid/1719

That said, a modern .50 BMG will be more modern, have lots of accessories that fit, and can often be upgraded. The Boys is a relic, a throwback when in simpler times, when making something bigger was the solution to many problems. But, it was the biggest and baddest, and can still compete with the new kids on the block. Get it, shoot it, and enjoy it.

Bawana jim
January 26, 2016, 17:24
Here a boys in 55 is an NFA item but you can rebarrel one to fifty and not pay the tax. I have spent time with a friends Boys and they are heavy. Takes boys to carry them. Recoil is nothing in 50 cal but unless you have a mount you will shoot it from the ground. Old guys don't crawl on the ground well:biggrin:. Friend sold his for near $4000.

yovinny
January 26, 2016, 17:52
A gunsmith I knew had one he converted to 50 back in the 80's. We brought it to the range and shot it after he proof fired it. Glad I had the experience, but it was very heavy and once to the range was enough.
If you really dont plan on shooting it much, the boys makes extra points for very interesting history and rarity.
Personally, I'd look elsewhere for something in a 50bmg, because I'd want something with good glass instead of open sights.

Arby
January 26, 2016, 20:00
it was very heavy and once to the range was enough.

Agreed! They are cool artifacts, but the luster is short-lived when having to lumber that beast around.

I have a friend that had one years ago in .55. We fired some rounds in that caliber (pre-68GCA) and also with .50BMG. The Boys was converted to .50 BMG after the 68GCA.

It was a hoot to shoot, but after a few outings with it the blush was off the rose, so to speak.

Nothing I can add speaks to investment value, so take my comments for what they are worth.

gates
January 26, 2016, 21:58
Probably stick with an 82A1.

Bwana John
January 27, 2016, 10:20
the Boyes that was converted to 50 BMG that I shot had to be singly loaded, the 50BMG cartridge was too long to feed thru the magazine.

Arby
January 27, 2016, 23:33
You're right on that, Jim. The difference in length appears to be around 0.176".

P.I. Staker
January 28, 2016, 01:23
I got my Boys rifle last year, paid 4 grand with only one mag.

4 Gs is a good price. I would buy it, aren't that many around, and IMHO much higher cool factor than the new .50s

Still very fun to shoot too.

You can load the .50 BMG rounds in an unmodified Boyes magazine.

Take the floor plate off, remove spring and follower.

Load rounds in from the bottom, replace follower/spring and floorplate.

Easy peasy.

richbug
January 29, 2016, 11:19
The mags are worth a significant amount. Memory serves I saw a transit chest of them sell for $100 per mag a few years back.

karambay
January 30, 2016, 23:37
So... I bought the Boys.

Came with a .50 cal can full of what I think is yugo 98 ammo.
can full of mixed .50 cal brass
300 CCI primers
Hornady press and dies

Looks like that will help me feed this 'horse' at least to start!

also came with a box of 9 mags (unmodified)
one mag modified for .50 cal

The rifle has a scope mount. nice done, one piece machine to fit in the dovetail for the rear sight, with a piece of angle iron welded on with a base and rings. Not sure exactly what to put there other than replacing it with the rear sight for now.

So it seems that I cannot load the .50's in an unmodified mag, even with the process above. They sit at such an angle due to the length I have no idea how they'd feed. the .50 modified mag works well.

To work around this it seems I've got options:
Use the modified mag or feed single rounds (it is a bolt action)
Modify the boys mags (at least some of them) looks like weld up the front a bit, then machine out a slot to allow for the longer length of the .50
Or reload with a shorter OAL with subsequent reduction in power (seems like a fair option, with only one .50 to feed, although, I've done some reloading, but never for a .50)

That said, can't wait to get to the range, but free time's looking sparse for the next little bit. I'll try to get some pics up.

Story
February 07, 2016, 21:28
When you remove the bolt from the receiver for cleaning, look in the bolt head track on the tail of the receiver and see if the maker's name isn't stamped there.

If you want to wring some accuracy out of that rifle, when reloading make sure you use a digital scale for the projectiles (many years ago, there could be a +/- 2 grain variation - makes a difference).

Same for the powder.

If you're imaginative, you can mount an offset scope.