PDA

View Full Version : Japanese can opener

Mebsuta
January 26, 2016, 10:34
I wanted a can opener with no moving parts. It got tired of using p38s because I would tear up the house looking for them if they got lost, and the real deal GI are getting harder to find.

So I bought this Japanese travel can opener on Amazon. It's bigger than a p38, so I can find it easier when I lose it.

I have only had it for a few days, but it opens cans like a MFer. The only thing is the bottle opener part can dig into your hand, but you'll adapt. Mine is green.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412JG37riuL._SY300_.jpg

nyalaman
January 26, 2016, 11:13
Nice.. I put a bright colored lanyard on important hard to find small things that are Important that get lost easily. Maybe consider that.

Mebsuta
January 26, 2016, 11:44
Nice.. I put a bright colored lanyard on important hard to find small things that are Important that get lost easily. Maybe consider that.

That's a good idea.

Stoney
January 26, 2016, 12:10
my p38 is still on my dog tag chain, been there for over fifty years and I still use it

Jaxxas
January 26, 2016, 12:58
I wanted a can opener with no moving parts. It got tired of using p38s because I would tear up the house looking for them if they got lost, and the real deal GI are getting harder to find.

So I bought this Japanese travel can opener on Amazon. It's bigger than a p38, so I can find it easier when I lose it.

I have only had it for a few days, but it opens cans like a MFer. The only thing is the bottle opener part can dig into your hand, but you'll adapt. Mine is green.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412JG37riuL._SY300_.jpg

Pretty nice, put one in my wish list. thks

ftierson
January 26, 2016, 13:53
It is neat...

BudK is currently offered an enlarged version of the P38, which they're calling the P51 (cute... :) ). I haven't seen one in real life, but at $0.69 each, I'll probably pick up a half dozen or so on a future order...

Forrest

MAINER
January 26, 2016, 17:11
KA BAR! :biggrin:

The P 51 is a better widget than a 38, but that Japonese job looks useful. It does look like it could use a bit of sharpening however.

Mebs, I got to know if that thing will fit a 1911 Muzzle Bushing? Now, that would be cool. :shades:

L Haney
January 26, 2016, 20:04
It is neat...

BudK is currently offered an enlarged version of the P38, which they're calling the P51 (cute... :) ). I haven't seen one in real life, but at $0.69 each, I'll probably pick up a half dozen or so on a future order...

Forrest

I had some of the larger P-38's that were stamped "B-52". Never had one when I was wearing a P-38 on my dog tags though.

Mebsuta
January 27, 2016, 10:32
One thing you should know; the rivets that hold the cutter to the holder are prone to rust.

one hand clapping
January 27, 2016, 10:55
I had some of the larger P-38's that were stamped "B-52". Never had one when I was wearing a P-38 on my dog tags though.

I still got a few issued B52's. I liked them alot more than the 38's cause the larger surface gives my thumb more leverage. Theres been one on my key ring for thirty years. Same with my kids. I used to pass P38's out to friends kids, and at gatherings I would go to.
The B52 could open a c-rat twice as fast as a p38.
Makes an OK screwdriver as well, and I have used the sharp part to cut para cord in a pinch.
Beware thopugh, there are CHEAP Chi-com imatations being sold that are super soft metal.
I ordered some from one of those catalogues, like BudK or ---whoever, they were so soft I didn't even think them worthy of giving 'em away.
Same thing occurring with chi-com made ranger cups -crap metal or alum.
Glad I still have a bunch of old steel issue ones.

ftierson
January 27, 2016, 12:46
I still got a few issued B52's. I liked them alot more than the 38's cause the larger surface gives my thumb more leverage. Theres been one on my key ring for thirty years. Same with my kids. I used to pass P38's out to friends kids, and at gatherings I would go to.
The B52 could open a c-rat twice as fast as a p38.
Makes an OK screwdriver as well, and I have used the sharp part to cut para cord in a pinch.
Beware thopugh, there are CHEAP Chi-com imatations being sold that are super soft metal.
I ordered some from one of those catalogues, like BudK or ---whoever, they were so soft I didn't even think them worthy of giving 'em away.
Same thing occurring with chi-com made ranger cups -crap metal or alum.
Glad I still have a bunch of old steel issue ones.

I have a bunch of the old P38s stashed around the house in various spots and one on a keyring. I have seen some newer 'commercial' ones (P38s) that were really soft, so I guess that I'd better pick up just one of the larger versions to try before picking up a handful of potentially useless gizmos...

Thanks for the reminder...

Forrest

Mebsuta
January 27, 2016, 16:47
I have seen some newer 'commercial' ones (P38s) that were really soft,

Yes. You have to look for the real deal now. It's not like the 80s where there bowls of them at gun shows and the Army/Navy store.

1911Ron
January 30, 2016, 20:47
Maybe you can give these out at Rifel Bibel camp?

slavicshooter
January 31, 2016, 07:38
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/slavicshooter/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01/images-3_zpspbmxydtt.jpeg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/slavicshooter/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01/images-3_zpspbmxydtt.jpeg.html)