PDA

View Full Version : M1A bolt hold open issue

ceb3
January 25, 2016, 20:24
no mag in gun bolt will not stay back on it;s own
or manually pushing down bolt hold open(hold only momentarily then slams forward)

mag in gun wont stay back unless manually press hold open

with bolt held open with magin gun can smack butt
bolt stays back

remove mag bolt goes forward

what replace first?

op rod spring?

hold open?

hold open spring?

gun is several decades old so I think op rod spring is best choice

what say fal files members?

12v71
January 25, 2016, 20:40
no mag in gun bolt will not stay back on it;s own
or manually pushing down bolt hold open(hold only momentarily then slams forward)

mag in gun wont stay back unless manually press hold open

with bolt held open with magin gun can smack butt
bolt stays back

remove mag bolt goes forward

what replace first?

op rod spring?

hold open?

hold open spring?

gun is several decades old so I think op rod spring is best choice

what say fal files members?

I have a BM59 with exactly the same issue. I'm thinking the BHO is rounded off where it holds the bolt back. I'm not sure if the M1A uses the same setup though.

MJ1
January 25, 2016, 21:29
is the bolt hold open GI or SA reproduction. ? when was rifle made ?

good luck

garandguy10
January 25, 2016, 21:54
It sounds like your bolt hold open and its spring are worn out. Use extreme caution when replacing the bolt hold open. The forward bolt hold open boss on the receiver is easily broken if you use the wrong size punch or the wrong technique to replace it.

ceb3
January 25, 2016, 22:11
rifle came from springfield armory circa 1977.
read that op rod spring can cause this
also thinking of putting in a smith bolt hold open
there are I believe three aftermarket hold opens
do'nt know about the others
smith stuff has always been good.

Jarhead504
January 26, 2016, 19:06
rifle came from springfield armory circa 1977.
read that op rod spring can cause this
also thinking of putting in a smith bolt hold open
there are I believe three aftermarket hold opens
do'nt know about the others
smith stuff has always been good.

Don't bother with the "extended" hold-open device with the extension that is supposed to operate in similar manner to an AR-15. Banging the hold-open device most likely is what caused it to be worn round in the first place.

The proper way to release the bolt and chamber a round from the magazine is to pull the bolt to the rear until the hold-open device returns to normal, or gets out of the way, then release the bolt. As a young jarhead, I never saw my Drill Instructor, Primary Rifle Instructor or any other jarhead EVER release a bolt on an M-14 by banging the hold-open device. I never do. You shouldn't either. It is an M-14 clone, NOT an AR. I like a lot of Ron Smith's ideas, but an extended hold-open device is not one of them. It is like putting a shifter/stick on a motorcycle with a foot operated clutch when the left handed clutch and left foot shifter work wonderfully for the machine(s).

When you place the hold-open device, try to get a fresh USGI one or one from a reliable M-14 parts retailer, like Fulton Armory. You might get lucky and be able to "hand select' some from a gunshow, if you are near one that has M-14 parts dealers with good parts. Good luck with that.

HTH,
Jarhead

ceb3
January 26, 2016, 20:31
Thanks for the tip on the hold open.
I doubt it is the op rod spring .
I applied hold open while holding bolt back.
Pushed and added pressure to op rod,let off the hold open and bolt went forward.
Hopefully it is not an issue with the place hold open contacts the bolt,but I do have a spare bought years ago in the wrap.
Would the SA part have been investment cast?
Is there a mark on a G.I. part?
Will probably wait for April Lakeland show.
Friend deals in M14,M1, AR parts

SteelonSteel
January 26, 2016, 21:40
Plus one on Not getting an extended bolt stop release. I put one in and hate it. You can't lay the rifle down on the left side without dropping the bolt accidentally. If it wasn't such a pain in the ass to remove that pin I would take it out. I have removed that pin twice building rifles and it is a bugger to get out.