PDA

View Full Version : De Terminator Wood Be Prowd ...

Bug Tussell
January 17, 2016, 21:21
My wife was relieved when I told her that rather then stand around the fabric store with her sighing and impatiently looking at my watch that I would head over to the gun shop. She happily agreed.

Off to Shooter's Den I went with a song in my heart and a smile on my face.

This is what followed me out of the shop.

I told the owner "Ah'll be bak." ... with more $$ later.

This is a PW84 copy of an M1884 lever action shotgun but with refinements from the M1901 IIRC.

Not as efficient as a pump action but what's not to love?

Joe Biden would be proud.

J. Armstrong
January 17, 2016, 22:15
How can you not like it :)

Range report when she comes home with you !!!!!

yovinny
January 18, 2016, 15:45
Kool :shades:
But I think you mean it's a copy of the Winchester 1887.
I dont think there ever was a model of '1884' and the 1901 was in 10ga only.

NFADLR
January 18, 2016, 16:27
But but but I ordered the phase plasma rifle in the 40 watt range WTF.

Bug Tussell
January 18, 2016, 20:37
Kool :shades:
But I think you mean it's a copy of the Winchester 1887.
I dont think there ever was a model of '1884' and the 1901 was in 10ga only.

Ooops. Yep model 1887. A review I read said that it looked like there were some refinments from the 1901 rolled into this offering.

I took a better look at the shotgun today and I have to say that the fit and finish is pretty decent. The action was a little stiff but smoothed out after a few leverings of the parts.

I should get to shoot it this weekend. I'll post a review then.

Bug Tussell
January 27, 2016, 11:24
I took this PM87 to the Texas River Shoot (http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=394550) and fired off a few rounds.

Loading is awkward. You need to push the follower down and out of the way and angle the round down a little to feed into the magazine tube. Cold fingers, gloves, adrenalin are gonna make this tough to do.

The first couple of volleys I loaded a single round. The single loaded shell would not eject. It just angled up and did not eject.
I tried singles a couple times with the same result. I fully loaded the magazine and was able to get full extraction. The next round in the follower pushed up the spent shell enough to get extraction and ejection. But the last round would not eject without that upward pressure caused by the next round.

I have read reviews that some polishing needs to be done to get it to cycle properly.

Kick. That sumbitch kicks. I've got a semi and a couple pump 12 gauges. These are comfortable to shoot. But this bitch kicks.

No wonder Mr. Browning wanted to drop it for the M1897.

At the price I paid, $330 not bad for a curiosity. As a go to shotgun - nope.

ftierson
January 27, 2016, 12:41
Kick. That sumbitch kicks. I've got a semi and a couple pump 12 gauges. These are comfortable to shoot. But this bitch kicks.

No wonder Mr. Browning wanted to drop it for the M1897.

At the price I paid, $330 not bad for a curiosity. As a go to shotgun - nope.

It's a neat (I'm giving my age away by using that old version of 'cool') shotgun.

Back when I was young, I knew a guy who used a couple of originals to shoot trap. I'm talking 1970s here and not 1880s... :)

Makes my recent rotator cuff surgeried shoulder hurt just hearing you talk about kicking... :)

Have great fun with a neat 'old' shotgun...

I've always thought that they were pretty cool.

Forrest

MAINER
February 03, 2016, 12:35
Winchester 87 story;
Many summer's ago. a friend asked his Father in law to show me his shotgun. He came out with a long barreled 87 in 10 ga.
As young man, he was heading home after having no luck hunting the fields for birds. Seeing a bird run under a Pine tree, he fired at the base of the tree, causing half a dozen birds to fly away. Thinking he had missed, he went to the tree to see if he might have gotten one. He got one for sure and was surprised to find twenty six more.

His Mom told him that "four would have been enough" and made him clean all twenty seven. His Dad was happy he hadn't wasted any shells, it being during the Depression and things like shots shells were hard to come by.

I didn't get to shoot the 87 and don't know if he even had any of the old blackpowder 10ga shells left, but I do remember the action felt buttery smooth, much like a well broken in Model 86.
He did say that shooting that old 10 Ga. "will get your attention".

NFADLR
February 03, 2016, 12:52
Your story made me think.

Here is a 10 gauge mfg 1891 winchester.

But it's in the hands of a FFL so paperwork may be involved, But since it's a antique hmm?

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/winchester-shotguns-antique/winchester-1887-10-ga-mfg-1891.cfm?gun_id=100657089

Winchester 87 story;
Many summer's ago. a friend asked his Father in law to show me his shotgun. He came out with a long barreled 87 in 10 ga.
As young man, he was heading home after having no luck hunting the fields for birds. Seeing a bird run under a Pine tree, he fired at the base of the tree, causing half a dozen birds to fly away. Thinking he had missed, he went to the tree to see if he might have gotten one. He got one for sure and was surprised to find twenty six more.

His Mom told him that "four would have been enough" and made him clean all twenty seven. His Dad was happy he hadn't wasted any shells, it being during the Depression and things like shots shells were hard to come by.

I didn't get to shoot the 87 and don't know if he even had any of the old blackpowder 10ga shells left, but I do remember the action felt buttery smooth, much like a well broken in Model 86.
He did say that shooting that old 10 Ga. "will get your attention".