PDA

View Full Version : Uberti 'Callahan' .44 opinions?

chino*74
January 14, 2016, 21:18
I been looking. Wondering if anyone has experience? Target model 6.5 or 7.5 in. Barrel.

MAINER
January 15, 2016, 11:22
Your...ahem, link doesn't seem to work. :tongue:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-single-action/50212-anybody-else-own-uberti-callahan-44-mag.html

I'd prefer the 6 1/2" barrel myself, but nothing wrong with the longer barrel, just a bit less handy to carry about in a holster. I have too many Ruger SA 44 Mags to be interested in the Callahan.

Uberti makes a good SA, but I do like the ones that Cimarron has fondled over.
Uberti made my 3rd Model Dragoon and there is nothing at all wrong with that beast. They also made my 7 1/2' Calvary in 45 Colt that shoots 6" too high at 25 yds. with every load I can think of. :redface:

Now, if they would only make them things in 44 Special.

chino*74
January 15, 2016, 12:36
Right, my link, I'll try to improve on that :) The Uberti is on my list, so we shall see.

MAINER
January 15, 2016, 16:57
I think you will like it fine. Uberti has upped their game in the past half dozen years likely watching what Cimarron is doing and listening to members of the SASS. Most of the recent offerings that I've seen are really nice in fit and finish. I'm hoping they offer a 5 1/2" SS version in 44 Special one of these days. :biggrin:

Full blown 44 Maggie loads in these shooters are a bit much if not really needed. I usually shoot 8 or 9 grains of Unique under a 240 gr cast bullet in Mag cases. Gives about the same thump factor as the standard 45 Colt loads.
I have an old model Ruger Super Blackhawk with 7 1/2" barrel that makes the 44 mag much more pleasant to deal with.

Nothing like a good "click-clack-clonk-clunk" handgun for shooting fun. ;)

Timber Wolf
January 15, 2016, 20:54
Nothing like a good "click-clack-clonk-clunk" handgun for shooting fun. ;)

Yup.

ALL FAL
January 15, 2016, 21:02
I took a liking to the top break russian 3rd model in .45 Colt, tempting to say the least. If I see a used one for fair price it will be mine.

Aeroscout
January 15, 2016, 21:29
You single action guys.......I saw this and was wondering if it is any good? Blued would be better for my tastes, however the price seems decent.

What say you?

http://www.cdnnsports.com/heritage-big-bore-45lc-nickel.html#.VpmqC1I2E20

Not really up to speed on SA wheel guns but I have always wanted one. Actually think I would prefer one in .38/.357 just for compatibility of ammo already on hand, but then again, .45LC beckons.

chino*74
January 15, 2016, 21:42
http://www.gunblast.com/WBell_HeritageBigBore.htm

Not familiar with Heritage arms but this review from Gunblast is positive. As long as it locks up good & is a true 3 screw patterned SAA U should be good to go.

Myself I would get a newer model Uberti because I am familiar with that company & they make quality SAA revolvers, Beretta owns Uberti now so it's all up to Beretta standards if that makes a diff. to anyone. As to me if it's Beretta then it's good to go.

MAINER
January 16, 2016, 10:32
You single action guys.......I saw this and was wondering if it is any good? Blued would be better for my tastes, however the price seems decent.

What say you?

http://www.cdnnsports.com/heritage-big-bore-45lc-nickel.html#.VpmqC1I2E20

Looks like a good one to start SA shooting at that price, but doesn't quicken my "purist" heart.

I don't know how to explain why this SA just doesn't "feel" right to me, but for one thing the trigger isn't in the right position back to the rear of the trigger guard as it should be. This pistol only gives a "click-clack-clunk", but no "clonk" on this model. :sad:
This is not a true Colt replica as it has a frame mounted firing pin and transfer bar. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially with one chambered in .357 mag. and would allow this Colt copy to be carried with all the beans in the wheel, but just not kosher to the SA fanatics.

The Heritage is produced with parts from Pietta (Italy) and assembled/finished by Heritage in the US. Accuracy is reported to be very good and the sights are regulated to POI on target quite well.

The Heritage may work well for you, but I agree with Chino and would at least take a look at the Uberti's and Cimarron Arms that make Ubertis even better for us dyed in the wool Colt SA nutz.

Aeroscout
January 16, 2016, 17:29
http://www.gunblast.com/WBell_HeritageBigBore.htm

Not familiar with Heritage arms but this review from Gunblast is positive. As long as it locks up good & is a true 3 screw patterned SAA U should be good to go.

Myself I would get a newer model Uberti because I am familiar with that company & they make quality SAA revolvers, Beretta owns Uberti now so it's all up to Beretta standards if that makes a diff. to anyone. As to me if it's Beretta then it's good to go.

Looks like a good one to start SA shooting at that price, but doesn't quicken my "purist" heart.

I don't know how to explain why this SA just doesn't "feel" right to me, but for one thing the trigger isn't in the right position back to the rear of the trigger guard as it should be. This pistol only gives a "click-clack-clunk", but no "clonk" on this model. :sad:
This is not a true Colt replica as it has a frame mounted firing pin and transfer bar. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially with one chambered in .357 mag. and would allow this Colt copy to be carried with all the beans in the wheel, but just not kosher to the SA fanatics.

The Heritage is produced with parts from Pietta (Italy) and assembled/finished by Heritage in the US. Accuracy is reported to be very good and the sights are regulated to POI on target quite well.

The Heritage may work well for you, but I agree with Chino and would at least take a look at the Uberti's and Cimarron Arms that make Ubertis even better for us dyed in the wool Colt SA nutz.

Thanks for the info guys....I believe I will keep looking.

chino*74
January 16, 2016, 21:35
If U go Uberti look at their catalogue they have an impressive line up. Off the top of my head though, if U want a good one look for an El Patron in .45 they R really nice. Order their catalogue on line, U will be impressed.

My old Beretta Stampede has the transfer bar, no biggie for me & the pro is U can safely carry six rounds, I think Uberti makes the traditional plus the transfer bar safety models as well. Almost any configuration of SAA U can imagine they prolly make it.

Also don't be confused, the Cimmarons, Taylors etc R merely Uberti's that have been tweaked, customized to some degree. They R all Ubertis. http://www.uberti.com/

TedMckay
January 26, 2016, 23:57
If you want a uberti , you cant go wrong with a cimmaron . I was told cimmaron has a qa inspector in Italy in the factory . Then once the pistols make to the U.S they are looked over again by a smith . I own several taylors , and cimmarons my latest uberti /cimmarons are a pair of .357 evil roys . The action job on them is as good as my ruger vaquero 44/40 that was owned and had an action job done by the late great Bob Munden . The only issue with the Uberti's is everyone says do not shoot heavy loads in them . I can say from accidental experiance that they will shoot a hot load at least once . One of my bear loads .45lc got mixed in my cowboy load box and I fired one . Now all my hot loads have a red sharpie mark across the primer .

ismith
January 27, 2016, 01:16
Why not get a real Model 29? As far as SAA clones go, hard to beat a Ruger Blackhawk, cheap and strong.