PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone DR-212 acoustic 12 string

Mebsuta
January 10, 2016, 23:57
Hai. Here is the Epiphone DR-212 12 string. I bought one in 2014 from Music 123 for about $170-something. They are about $220 now, but you can get a nice used one for $150. It was made in Indonesia of out of laminated spruce and mahogany.

Pros: it's pretty and makes suitable racket for Bibel Camp. It doesn't cost very much.

Cons: none if you want to keep it. Just be aware there is no resale value for low end guitars.

Info: I sanded down the bottom of the saddle just a little to lower the strings and make it easier to play.

Here's what I know from playing around with 12 strings at home and in the music store.

Low end guitars like this one have laminated top and sides. This keeps the cost down. They are also strong for a guitar and less likely to warp over time.

If you spend about $50 more, you can get a low end guitar with a solid top. It will probably be a little bit louder than the one with a laminated top.

If you want to spend about $5-600, you can get a guitar that doesn't have the sprayed on glossy finish and is put together a little more carefully, but it will sound about the same.

If you want to spend $1000 or more, you will probably be able to hear the difference between $1000 and the lesser guitars. It should really open up and sound like a chorus of voices. You can hear every note clearly when you play big open chords.

My opinion: at Bibel Camp, when accompanying the Maranatha singers, and there is foot stomping, hand clapping and tambourines going, no one will care or be able to tell the difference.

Info on strings: there are basically two types, 80/20 and phosphor bronze. Phosphor bronze wound strings will look sort of coppery. 80/20 wound strings will look a little more yellow. 80/20 will probably be brighter at first. Once the newness has worn off, who can tell the difference?

Lighter gauges of strings are easier to play. Trade off is a little less volume.

That and 3 chords are all I know.

Maranatha 2 U. :)

http://static.productreview.com.au/pr.products/epiphone-dr-212_4d06b14c525fb.jpg

Jaxxas
January 11, 2016, 00:07
I had an old Yamaha 12 string. It worked well enough for it's twisted neck. Sounded pretty compared to a 6 string. With my big ass fingers it was a bit tough to play clean, but then most who could play would never consider me one to play!:whistling:

Are those 3 chords barre chords?

oleblu72
January 11, 2016, 01:03
A couple of years back I attended an auction at a music store that was going out of business .I bought a brand new 12 string Godin Meritime I think that's the model and its made in Canada anywho I paid $99 for it, its a pretty guitar wish I knew how to play it one of these days maybe I will.

Mark

Mebsuta
January 11, 2016, 08:32
Are those 3 chords barre chords?

Well, I know 3 open chords, so I'm advanced. : P

Mebsuta
January 11, 2016, 08:34
A couple of years back I attended an auction at a music store that was going out of business .I bought a brand new 12 string Godin Meritime I think that's the model and its made in Canada anywho I paid $99 for it, its a pretty guitar wish I knew how to play it one of these days maybe I will.

Mark

You did good. I think those are made in Quebec. Everybody likes them.

Deltaten
January 11, 2016, 09:44
Some tunes just *need* a 12 ! Playin' at Bibel Camp is a great reason ta use one. Yer logic of "cheaper is better" is spot on in most instances.
Fender 140-12 solid top w/Elier lights. Not quite the volume orbrassiness of 80/20'sbut plays a helluvva lot easier :D

12'er since '67