PDA

View Full Version : G 27

chino*74
January 05, 2016, 20:35
Looking to buy, any opinion gen3 vs gen4? I usually carry a G 23, need the 27 as an alternant carry for those times when the G 23 is a bit too printable that requires the subcompact. What ser. # range for gen 3 had the slide rail issues.

Right now I can get a used gen3 for $100 less than a new gen 4 but then I don't get 3 mags that come w the new gen4.

VALMET
January 07, 2016, 16:57
If by side-rail issues your talking about the "kabooms," those occurred back in late 2000-01 in the EXX-SN range. Check over on GlockTalk for specifics.

Archon
January 10, 2016, 19:09
A G27 is my EDC unless its summer when I switch to my G42. The standard Gen 3 grip works for me (especially with Talon) tape so I never thought about getting the Gen 4. Save the $ and use it for some decent sights IMHO.

chino*74
January 10, 2016, 21:31
OK good advice if the SN does not start w E I will likely get it. Big grip tape fan here also have skater tape I use for same purpose.

Right Side Up
January 11, 2016, 01:11
I think the Gen 3 is a great gun. I would get it and spend the savings on ammo.

chino*74
January 12, 2016, 23:51
So, she was still there at my gun store so picked up the G27 Gen3 today, bargained it down $25 from asking price got 2 mags & one has finger extension, bleh, got a free base plate to switch it, not keen on pinky ext. the whole point is to be concealable including the carry magazine.

It's a 'D' SN series looks basically hardly fired at all, the whole pistol cleaned up in about 3 minutes with some Hopps, nylon brush & about 4 run thrus with some patches down the barrel (a short trip with the sub-compact :)

Will run some rounds thru it next week. Also going to order some night sights, any suggestions? I run Trijicon on my G23 they seem fine but am looking at alternatives.

Right Side Up
January 12, 2016, 23:53
I decided on the TruGlo TFX ones for my G22. I like them. There's a pic in another thread.

chino*74
January 12, 2016, 23:58
I will check out the Truglo TFX, also Meprolight & Trijicons, thanks!

Right Side Up
January 13, 2016, 00:18
Here's a top view. They're easy to see day and night. Fiber optic for day, and tritium at night.

http://i1352.photobucket.com/albums/q652/greggood1/20160108_230937_zpsv8hgoxxq.jpg

chino*74
January 13, 2016, 16:16
Well leaning towards Trijicons, I have them on my 23. Either standard or the 'HD' versions. Not a fiber optics fan really. I will say they look interesting might still reconsider if I can see them in person.

nyalaman
January 13, 2016, 17:13
There's alot of good advice here. Get the gen #3, put some good sights on it, I love the truglo's myself.

homelandprotector
January 14, 2016, 12:01
If you have the funds to get a Gen 4..... do it, I just picked up a gen4 G35 and the first time I shot it I thought I was shooting a 9mm, (G35 is .40 cal) the dual recoil spring REALLY reduces recoil dramatically. All my Gen3 .40's have a pretty stout kick, I almost considered switching to 9mm for the reason of recoil issue. :fal:

homelandprotector
January 14, 2016, 12:08
This is where I got the G35, the one they sent me was unfired, yes, brand new..... http://www.centerfiresystems.com/HG0032.aspx

$499. is pretty good for a Gen 4 G35.

Here ya go >>> http://www.centerfiresystems.com/glock-27pti.aspx

chino*74
January 14, 2016, 13:24
Good price on the Gen4. U do know the Gen3 G27 has the dual recoil spring? There is no functional diff. Between Gen 3 Vs Gen 4. But I think that Gen4 price is good. Thnx :)

homelandprotector
January 14, 2016, 21:02
Good price on the Gen4. U do know the Gen3 G27 has the dual recoil spring? There is no functional diff. Between Gen 3 Vs Gen 4. But I think that Gen4 price is good. Thnx :)
I had no clue about the sub compacts having the dual, makes sense though, a single spring on a short recoil would have to be very heavy. I just know that it makes a huge difference on full size .40 cal like my G35. Huge. :cool:

But the Gen 4 has a texture which is less aggressive then the RTFT texture, which is a big plus for me. I was pretty pissed that they stopped making RTFT texture just like Hitler was.........

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iQYep23-onw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

gates
January 14, 2016, 23:33
Have a 35 and a 23 which I carried, had a 27 - traded it, I'm going a different direction due to where I live - a G43 and SW 642 are now what I'm rotating when I carry. It's hot here most of the year and most everyone is in a t-shirt most of the time - no need for a .40 IMO. Shot placement is king regardless of caliber - within reason.

chino*74
January 14, 2016, 23:45
Granted, texturing is diff. on the grip frame but that is a non-issue for me. I use Talon grip wrap or skater tape on all my Glocks.

Gen4 U can switch the mag release left or right, great for lefties. Having said that I am a leftie & I shoot all my glocks w the standard mag release location with my index finger, just used to it so for me it's no benefit to go Gen4. Also ya I know they have those insert back strap size options, if I ever get a Gen4 I'll see how that works.

EDIT I will add I forgot there is a spring upgrade on the Gen4 I don't recall which.

Hitler is always pissed about something...

chino*74
January 15, 2016, 20:11
Got a chance to run about 80 rounds thru the G27, one FTF, I think it was the used magazine. Question; I got 2 new 27 mags today at the range, I notice the follower is stamped "9" on top I assume for the 9 round capacity. The older 2 that came with the gun are stamped "5" but they R 9 rounders as well. The magazine followers have a slightly diff. top profile as well, so not sure why this is.

Other than that she shoots great, even single hand & weak single hand shooting I can shoot it with no trouble with my pinky hanging onto nutting, I love the snappy recoil and the bark on this little sub-compact.

I do need to run another few hundred thru it with the new mags before I consider it as an EDC piece but so far I like it mucho.

Tat2
January 17, 2016, 12:25
Got a chance to run about 80 rounds thru the G27, one FTF, I think it was the used magazine. Question; I got 2 new 27 mags today at the range, I notice the follower is stamped "9" on top I assume for the 9 round capacity. The older 2 that came with the gun are stamped "5" but they R 9 rounders as well. The magazine followers have a slightly diff. top profile as well, so not sure why this is.

Other than that she shoots great, even single hand & weak single hand shooting I can shoot it with no trouble with my pinky hanging onto nutting, I love the snappy recoil and the bark on this little sub-compact.

I do need to run another few hundred thru it with the new mags before I consider it as an EDC piece but so far I like it mucho.

The 5 and 9 are follower revision numbers. 9 is newer

T

gates
January 17, 2016, 23:16
I'm a 6'2 250lb dude, I had and can handle a .500 S&W mag, I choose NOT to;)

I can get the SAME job done with MUCH more pleasant to shoot firearms...

chino*74
January 17, 2016, 23:28
REF the mags, yes, figured it out. I need the latest versions for the 27 & 23, all stamped '9' I assume. I am pretty sure that's the issue with this FTF I had. We shall see.