PDA

View Full Version : Interesting NFA development, no more CLEO sign off?

Jaxxas
January 05, 2016, 15:56
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/foghorn/breaking-atf-issues-final-ruling-on-nfa-trusts-requires-fingerprints-but-eliminates-cleo-sign-off/

The news isnít all doom and gloom, though. The ATF has officially removed the requirement for your local CLEO to sign off on your paperwork, no matter if youíre an individual or a trust.

In short, no longer will anyone need permission from their local Chief Law Enforcement Officer to obtain an item regulated under the National Firearms Act. I gotta admit, even though this comes at a bit of a high price in terms of annoyance, thatís a pretty huge win for a lot of people who otherwise had been blocked from buying silencers by their CLEOís intransigence. The rule goes into effect in 180 days, just long enough that paperwork filed today should clear before it goes into effect.

2barearms
January 05, 2016, 20:11
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/01/foghorn/breaking-atf-issues-final-ruling-on-nfa-trusts-requires-fingerprints-but-eliminates-cleo-sign-off/

Actually I don't think this is Obama's doing. This was the result of some
dickering that the NFA Collectors Assoc. tried with the ATF and it back fired on them and us.......sort of kind of after the fact. The original rule as proposed
would have had Cleo, backgrounds, Print Cards and photos on all the folks
listed in the trust. My ub=nderstanding is that only the 'responsible person or
persons' with access to the items needs the Cards etc. I'm not sure why a CHL
wouldn't serve as your ticket though.

D P Six
January 05, 2016, 22:50
Actually I don't think this is Obama's doing. This was the result of some dickering that the NFA Collectors Assoc. tried with the ATF and it back fired on them and us.......sort of kind of after the fact. ....

I have heard that the NFACA had stirred up this hornet nest but never knew if it was true. In any case it would appear that the NFA trust will become a dead letter.

Tuhlmann
January 06, 2016, 07:12
How will this apply to existing trusts and NFA items in those existing trusts?

GS455
January 13, 2016, 23:43
How will this apply to existing trusts and NFA items in those existing trusts?

My question as well. I believe if you get anything into your trust by July you're grandfathered in on the no fingerprints pictures aspect that will be included moving forward

2barearms
January 14, 2016, 00:30
My question as well. I believe if you get anything into your trust by July you're grandfathered in on the no fingerprints pictures aspect that will be included moving forward

Will have to have the Responsible Person/s do a one time Print Card and Pic.
You then have to 'notify' CLEO. Same would be for any non Trust transaction.

I plan on adding a few items soon and be done with it before it goes into effect.