PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 12 gauge

chino*74
December 23, 2015, 23:02
Open to suggestions. I sold my old Remington 870 & am looking for a replacement (mainly because I have a truck load of ammo & no replacement shotgun). Primary purpose will be home protection option & general backup, possibly a truck weapon. I am not opposed to a semiauto or Dble barrel either, I have nothing specific in mind, just formulating some possibilities.

raubvogel
December 23, 2015, 23:11
I was going to say 870 but you went to that road already. What didn't you like on it?

fnogger
December 23, 2015, 23:26
Mossy 590a1 if you want pump

One of the more modern "coach" style SxS if you are OK with 2 shots before reloading

One of the "Not a NFA Item" shotgun like weapons with short barrel and OAL of 26"+

Texgunner
December 23, 2015, 23:28
Winchester Defender?

W.E.G.
December 23, 2015, 23:42
Basic pump 12 gauge guns are so cheap now, it almost seems too good to be true.

You can still pay stupid money for a 12 gauge if you want a proper fuddstick or gee-whiz factory tacicle autoloader though.

Several Chinese knockoffs (very good ones) of 870 and 1300.
Google "chinese" and either model number.

Pay about $70 more for an American version.

W.E.G.
December 23, 2015, 23:51
Just saw that there's even a Chinese Ithaca 37 knockoff.

http://survivalblog.com/pats_product_review_stevens_model_350_shotgun/

You'll pay a WHOLE LOT more for an American 37.

SAFN49
December 24, 2015, 00:32
I have a assload of 870's, 1148's, 1187's, a couple of A5's, and a 37. I have also had a bunch of 500's. I would go 870's, or 1100/1187's all day long. IMHO

chino*74
December 24, 2015, 19:31
I didn't dislike the 870 just didn't do enough shotgunning in general & traded it for an older Beretta 92F a buddy of mine had. So just thinking about options. I did tend to short stroke it sometimes, hate to do that under stress.

I might do another 870 though or possible a basic dble coach style. Reloads R not a time consuming affair. I'll research some of these suggestions U all have offered.

Also might look into a pistol grip 870 or Mossberg simply for space especially if it ends up as the truck gun. Ya I am aware of the shortcomings (no pun intended).

ALL FAL
December 25, 2015, 02:33
The way there are so many good deals on shotguns right now, just be patient, take some time and stop in to local gun shops and read the classifieds, let your gun buds know you are looking for one, get the one you really like, it will show up. :)

chino*74
December 25, 2015, 11:27
Yup I am in no rush. I will see what comes up. I would not actually mind an older 870 stainless marine model with pistol grip I don't think they make those anymore. If so, they R probably overpriced for my needs. Can do the same with a basic 870.

raubvogel
December 25, 2015, 20:10
SAFN49, don't you have a shotgun you can let chino*74 have for a reasonable price? :whistling:

nearmisses
December 25, 2015, 20:32
Yup I am in no rush. I will see what comes up. I would not actually mind an older 870 stainless marine model with pistol grip I don't think they make those anymore. If so, they R probably overpriced for my needs. Can do the same with a basic 870.

They were NOT stainless steel but eletroless nickle. If you're short stroking an 870 bump up to an 1100 or 1187 if you like shooting 3" also. I love the one I just got and whipped into what I have been wanting for a long time for a home gun or truck. I got an 1100 on Gunbroker with a deer barrel 21" with rifle sights no Rem Choke as that would have been a whole lot more. 306.00 and 30.00 shipping. I had some goodies I was waiting to put on a 4 shot Choate Mag.tube, Dave's speedloader, and swivels. Need a recoil pad and I'm done, well maybe some mepro nite sites! As reliable as they come. Just pull the trigger! ha! Merry Christmas!

SAFN49
December 25, 2015, 23:33
SAFN49, don't you have a shotgun you can let chino*74 have for a reasonable price? :whistling:

Maybe. F to R #1, #2, and #10 I paid more than $300 for :whistling:

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s30/djm540idjm540i/Shotties_zpssosupolt.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/djm540idjm540i/media/Shotties_zpssosupolt.jpg.html)

chino*74
December 25, 2015, 23:49
They were NOT stainless steel but eletroless nickle. If you're short stroking an 870 bump up to an 1100 or 1187 if you like shooting 3" also. I love the one I just got and whipped into what I have been wanting for a long time for a home gun or truck. I got an 1100 on Gunbroker with a deer barrel 21" with rifle sights no Rem Choke as that would have been a whole lot more. 306.00 and 30.00 shipping. I had some goodies I was waiting to put on a 4 shot Choate Mag.tube, Dave's speedloader, and swivels. Need a recoil pad and I'm done, well maybe some mepro nite sites! As reliable as they come. Just pull the trigger! ha! Merry Christmas!

Yes, U read my mind, looking for an older 1100 on GB already, still some fair deals & probably will get one as soon as I see one that looks good at a fair price, that's the direction I am headin. Altho I might also go for a Winchester 1300 if I see a good deal & I am seeing good deals already, so Auto Loader VS Pump, leaning more towards the 1100.

pre1989
December 26, 2015, 00:17
Pre ban m1 super 90 HK or a Veper 12 .. You wont be sorry

Got to love ghost loading a super

nearmisses
December 26, 2015, 12:46
Yes, U read my mind, looking for an older 1100 on GB already, still some fair deals & probably will get one as soon as I see one that looks good at a fair price, that's the direction I am headin. Altho I might also go for a Winchester 1300 if I see a good deal & I am seeing good deals already, so Auto Loader VS Pump, leaning more towards the 1100.

As a gunsmith I wasn't too fond of the 1200 &1400 series shotguns and the 1300 was no different. It uses a screw that is prone to breakage where it holds a carrier guide plate to the bolt proper and keeps the firing pin in place. It has a step cut on it and if you do buy one buy a bunch of screws and hope you get one good one. The Remington 1100 is idiot proof and the rubber o-rings can be easily had. When installing a new one put a layer of electric, even packaging tape on the mag. tube threads, removal same if you want them to last.

I waited a long time to find mine and got a great deal as the cracked forend kept some away. Happens when they don't fit them right in the back end and along the barrel channel. Keeps the looky lous from buying them up. I got a late model dull blasted finished one with wood stocks yet. keep l;ooking you'll find a good one and cheap. Thjere's a smith on ebay advertises he'll do the Rem Choke or others 85.00 a barrel and return in 3 days. Good service, ask if you ever need the info. Good luck finding one.

chino*74
December 26, 2015, 12:56
As a gunsmith I wasn't too fond of the 1200 &1400 series shotguns and the 1300 was no different. It uses a screw that is prone to breakage where it holds a carrier guide plate to the bolt proper and keeps the firing pin in place. It has a step cut on it and if you do buy one buy a bunch of screws and hope you get one good one. The Remington 1100 is idiot proof and the rubber o-rings can be easily had. When installing a new one put a layer of electric, even packaging tape on the mag. tube threads, removal same if you want them to last.

I waited a long time to find mine and got a great deal as the cracked forend kept some away. Happens when they don't fit them right in the back end and along the barrel channel. Keeps the looky lous from buying them up. I got a late model dull blasted finished one with wood stocks yet. keep l;ooking you'll find a good one and cheap. Thjere's a smith on ebay advertises he'll do the Rem Choke or others 85.00 a barrel and return in 3 days. Good service, ask if you ever need the info. Good luck finding one.

Thanks for the info, sounds more like 1100 is my preferred direction. I will keep looking. See what deals come my way.

nyalaman
December 26, 2015, 16:09
Just saw that there's even a Chinese Ithaca 37 knockoff.

http://survivalblog.com/pats_product_review_stevens_model_350_shotgun/

You'll pay a WHOLE LOT more for an American 37.

I got one recently, will be shooting it soon. It seems to be built like a tank, has a great park finish, and really nice sights, and points nice. I'm partial to the 870, but I like the Stevens.

nyalaman
December 26, 2015, 16:36
And the 1100 would be a great choice also.

nearmisses
December 27, 2015, 01:25
I had an 870 many years ago when I first started gunsmithing. I always wanted, but never really had a need for a shotgun. Funny how age and eyesight make for different needs. 1100's just seemed the logical step forward from the 870. 1187's are nice but I won't shoot the 3" stuff, hurts too much now. What barrel length have you settled on or have you? Bead or rifle sights? You should have some great gunshops and pawn shops in Nevada area to pick from. I was hoping for a real beater and figured I'd Blast and Park it but the one I got was the way I wanted it already. Keep up the vigilence and you'll find one sooner or later.

chino*74
December 27, 2015, 02:11
I had an 870 many years ago when I first started gunsmithing. I always wanted, but never really had a need for a shotgun. Funny how age and eyesight make for different needs. 1100's just seemed the logical step forward from the 870. 1187's are nice but I won't shoot the 3" stuff, hurts too much now. What barrel length have you settled on or have you? Bead or rifle sights? You should have some great gunshops and pawn shops in Nevada area to pick from. I was hoping for a real beater and figured I'd Blast and Park it but the one I got was the way I wanted it already. Keep up the vigilence and you'll find one sooner or later.

Barrel length I am thinking 22" or 21", rifle sights, smooth bore probably but might go for rifled. I need to check the shops in town. Not too many one off single owner shops, I know one I am going to check out though O/W it's Gunbroker.

I have a headache from looking at a variety of guns & researching. I looked at a lot of different makes / models, the only other one that stands out is the newer models of the Mossberg 930 tactical, I've seen more than a few positive reviews.

I looked at older Browning A5's (I really like their lines) the newer Browning A5 stalker is damn fine but prolly out of my budget & they don't make an HD or shorter barrel than 26" but is that ever a sweet gun!

rheubers
December 27, 2015, 05:33
Winchester Defender?

Yep! Light, swings fast. 'Riot' action if things get dicey.

Skilter
December 28, 2015, 05:21
Mossy 590a1 if you want pump

One of the more modern "coach" style SxS if you are OK with 2 shots before reloading

One of the "Not a NFA Item" shotgun like weapons with short barrel and OAL of 26"+

Yep... 590A1

Get it with a Vang Comp choke and you are golden.

MAINER
December 28, 2015, 13:09
Have to put this one up just cause I like to look at it. :D

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-hammer-coach-12-20-fixed-cyl-bore/

My son picked up a Beretta A300 at a Walmart for around $350. Very nice shotty and will look even better with the factory walnut stock I got him for Christmas.

Had a Rem 1100 since '65 or so. Good shotgun except for the one time the sucker jumped the gun and fired by itself while waiting for a skeet. No harm done, but some serious scrubbing of the trigger ass'y followed.

chino*74
December 28, 2015, 13:55
Beretta A300 for $350? I'll take a look.

SAFN49
December 28, 2015, 15:03
If anyone ever runs across a Remington 1187 barrel, part number 29623, 21" rifle sights with Rem-chokes, please let me know. It was probably the most versatile barrel made 2 3/4" and 3" shells. You could screw in a rifled choke tube or any of the regular choke tubes.

Sagerider
December 28, 2015, 15:22
My upland game bird shotgun is a semi auto 20 gage Benelli Montefeltro and it is the best shotgun I have ever owned. They are also made in 12 gage and run at $1,300.00, a bit on the higher end but not crazy high and worth every penny.
I also have a semi auto Benelli M-90 in 12 gage room broom which is also an awesome shotgun for anything a shotgun can be used for. I prefer the 20 gage because I enjoy shooting it more than a 12 gage. Seeing as you have a truck load of 12 gage that is what you need.
I am not wild about pumps because I have short arms being a little feller at 5' 7".
The Montefeltro comes with a very nice heavy duty plastic case, four screw in chokes and stock adjustment spacers for adjusting stock angle. They break down easily for storing in the case and for cleaning. Not real wild about their other space cadet looking shotguns enough that I have zero interest in even looking at them. They just look weird to me.
Another choice would be a Ruger Red Label if you are interested in an over under. I had one in 12 gage and realized later I really screwed up when I sold it. :(

chino*74
December 28, 2015, 17:29
Well I stopped by my local owned Gun shop & found a pretty clean old Remington Model 11 (their licensed model from Browning for the A5) in .12 gauge. It was a good deal so I put it on lay-away. I will have my Smith go through it thoroughly & also shorten the barrel to about 21 or 22" (it looks like a 28" now but I didn't measure it) add a new front bead or maybe rifle sights on it.

SO this should be fun! Do a mild tactical redress on this old A5 clone. Strickly 2 3/4 shells, it's gonna be a hoot to shoot!

SAFN49
December 28, 2015, 20:12
Well I stopped by my local owned Gun shop & found a pretty clean old Remington Model 11 (their licensed model from Browning for the A5) in .12 gauge. It was a good deal so I put it on lay-away. I will have my Smith go through it thoroughly & also shorten the barrel to about 21 or 22" (it looks like a 28" now but I didn't measure it) add a new front bead or maybe rifle sights on it.

SO this should be fun! Do a mild tactical redress on this old A5 clone. Strickly 2 3/4 shells, it's gonna be a hoot to shoot!

Sweet! Now put a mag tube ext on it and have an extended forearm made and you can have a clone of the one in post #13. :whiskey: :whiskey::whiskey:

chino*74
December 28, 2015, 21:15
Sweet! Now put a mag tube ext on it and have an extended forearm made and you can have a clone of the one in post #13. :whiskey: :whiskey::whiskey:

HAHA, we'll see, I am prolly OK with the standard REM 11, 4 in the tube & one in the pipe but who knows, I love older guns so this one called to me. It's a 700,000+ serial number so looks like one of the last or later ones 1940's vintage.

Any good source for springs etc.? Anything in particular I need to know about these Remington 11's?

MAINER
December 29, 2015, 11:55
I love older guns so this one called to me. It's a 700,000+ serial number so looks like one of the last or later ones 1940's vintage.

Any good source for springs etc.? Anything in particular I need to know about these Remington 11's?

Kind of fond of them old shooters myself, bought a JC Higgins Model 20 in 12ga. with walnut stock and a comp on the barrel that would make a 20MM envious.

Your Model 11 is one of the shotguns in my old Brownell's "Encylopedia of Modern Firearms" that has a reprint of TM 9-285, Sept 1942. Looks like a good guide to work by if parts need changing.

Good luck with your old-timer.

homelandprotector
December 29, 2015, 20:22
I picked up a Remy 887 Nitro Mag at Cabellas For $170. I think they missed priced it because it looked like new.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/tactical/shotguns/model-887-nitro-mag-tactical.aspx

Great gun, under rated.

homelandprotector
December 29, 2015, 20:30
If Ya got the $$$, get a Mossberg 930. Pretty hard to beat semi auto.

Especially If you're a chick with a smoking body.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_6CBKUM9gk8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

chino*74
December 29, 2015, 21:44
Ya 930's R nice too !

Texgunner
December 29, 2015, 23:08
Kind of fond of them old shooters myself, bought a JC Higgins Model 20 in 12ga. with walnut stock and a comp on the barrel that would make a 20MM envious.

I shot one just yesterday. An old painting bud brought it out to my farm for a lil' deer/hog hunting. The action is slick as hell but damn, the trigger was tough. I kept thinking the safety was on! He was shooting no.1 buck and the pattern was wide to say the least, and it was mostly a foot high and a foot left at 30 yards. That comp/choke does look wild, just like this but his has a green fiber-optic "tube".

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/Texgunner/Gerals%20pump.jpg (http://s7.photobucket.com/user/Texgunner/media/Gerals%20pump.jpg.html)

I suggested that he try some slugs next time Or, just borrow a rifle from me and leave that bazooka in the truck.:tongue:

chino*74
December 30, 2015, 00:42
I am thinking of getting an old CUTTS Compensator installed after I get the barrel shortened however I am undecided on that, they look impressive though.

MAINER
December 30, 2015, 10:00
Tex, that's close, but my M 20 has a "Power-Pac" device that works very similar to a Cutts. I believe they were made by Pacmayer (sp?) for Sears.

spatin
January 01, 2016, 23:42
I've been looking at the new Remington Versa-Max shotguns. Mostly bird guns but I am reading some really good reports about them. The auto gas adjustment is genius, don't know why they haven't invented it before now. If anyone here has one, let me know how you like it. They're pretty pricey right now, being up at the top of the line for the Remington shotguns, but I may get lucky and find one on sale somewhere.
Sidney :cheers:

Open to suggestions. I sold my old Remington 870 & am looking for a replacement (mainly because I have a truck load of ammo & no replacement shotgun). Primary purpose will be home protection option & general backup, possibly a truck weapon. I am not opposed to a semiauto or Dble barrel either, I have nothing specific in mind, just formulating some possibilities.

chino*74
January 05, 2016, 23:50
My old REM Mod. 11 is at the gunsmith getting a complete go over, barrel cut to 18.5 inches, compensator with bead sight, mag tube modified for 4 shot tube instead of the original 2 shot limitation, new forearm stock on order, should be good to go in a week or so.

I am not going to redo the finish, it's probably 90% right now. Thanks to all for Ur information & input.

SAFN49
January 06, 2016, 01:11
My old REM Mod. 11 is at the gunsmith getting a complete go over, barrel cut to 18.5 inches, compensator with bead sight, mag tube modified for 4 shot tube instead of the original 2 shot limitation, new forearm stock on order, should be good to go in a week or so.

I am not going to redo the finish, it's probably 90% right now. Thanks to all for Ur information & input.

I gotta ask, what modification to the mag tube? They all held 4 if you took out the plug.

chino*74
January 06, 2016, 01:59
I gotta ask, what modification to the mag tube? They all held 4 if you took out the plug.

Right. Modification was not the right word choice. U R correct.

Timber Wolf
January 06, 2016, 19:37
Right. Modification was not the right word choice. U R correct.

I have a [I]very[I] low serial numbered Model 11, like probably from the first year they were made. When I popped the magazine plug out it was the original Remington paper labeled piece of dowel. I need to go dig it out, I think I know where it is. I have another "newer" Model 11, and also an Auto 5. I bought both cheaply at a Sheriff's confiscated guns auction years ago. The A-5 had been stored poorly and is not that pretty but works fine. Some lady kept bidding me up, I think I have $250 in the A-5.

Ironhandjohn
January 09, 2016, 17:27
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/Ironhandjohn/1441596392_zps792b24c4.jpg
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/Ironhandjohn/1441596372_zps68639b26.jpg

How about an old-school riot gun like my Model 12? This one is 91 years old, was reblued some time in its past, and has had the 30" barrel cut back to 20.5". The recoil pad isn't original and the length of pull is pretty short, but this was done a long time ago, too.

Bladewurk
January 12, 2016, 20:10
I just got a Sweet 2007 Remington 870 Mag Combo kit with rifled and smooth bore barrels for $350. I think I did good..

AFeod
January 12, 2016, 23:35
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/Ironhandjohn/1441596392_zps792b24c4.jpg
http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq355/Ironhandjohn/1441596372_zps68639b26.jpg

How about an old-school riot gun like my Model 12? This one is 91 years old, was reblued some time in its past, and has had the 30" barrel cut back to 20.5". The recoil pad isn't original and the length of pull is pretty short, but this was done a long time ago, too.

Now that's a riot gun! I've been eyeballing an older mod 97... But still drifting towards the 590a1

chino*74
January 12, 2016, 23:39
Yep that Model 12 is beautiful!

tally
January 24, 2016, 16:21
Benelli M4 H2O LE model with collapsible stock and the full length tube. Pretty much became the queen of the shotgun safe. My previous favorite tactical shotgun was the FN MK1 SLP.

Cava3r4
February 08, 2016, 19:19
I bought a norinco 97 as I WAS going to get into cowboy action shooting.

I already owned and have an 870.

comparing the two, shooting the 870 feels like a 22 compared to the norinco on the SAME loads.

The norinco KICK like a mule and raps your knukles and the bolt is RAZOR sharp so be sure to keep you hand LOW.

I just traded off the norinco and paid 6 bills for the Mossberg 930 SPX.

that works fine.
I'm seeing on the internet where you can buy them for a little of 600 but then with shipping handling paying a FFL to enter into his books and sales tax I figured I didn't overpay too much.

hey .... support your local gunstore!

nearmisses
February 12, 2016, 16:18
I finally got what I was looking for and modified it a bit. Remington 1100. Point and Click or pull. Still needs a recoil pad and shortened to 13 1/2" LOP. Just a tad over 400 bucks.