PDA

View Full Version : welding on magazine divots

mountainman
December 20, 2015, 10:29
Need to add .032" per side on those little magazine divots on the inside of recvr, anybody got any good suggestions, maybe brazing, spot welding, tig, adhesive, or whatever would work good. My concern is that welding will lead to holes or such. Its a recvr conversion to 74. Ejector looks like it will eject according to how deep it reaches on breech face of bolt.

kotengu
December 20, 2015, 12:32
It's sheet metal - can you not just make a hammer and anvil the correct shape and form them in further? I built a flat years ago and did this. Doing it in an already finished receiver would add a few complications, but I think it's still do-able.

mountainman
December 20, 2015, 13:28
Kotengu I am just afraid to stretch it any further as I know that what happens is that the divots are usually not perfect so what happens is that they get machined to the right size during final assembly and one side looks like it had more taken off than the other. Now on the side where nothing was taken off, that seems like a very good idea.

kotengu
December 20, 2015, 14:38
Then I would just weld it. Welding sheet metal takes a "touch", but it's not that bad. Buy some cheap sheet metal from Tractor Supply of the same thickness as your receiver and practice on it a bunch - see what it takes to burn through and what you can get away with - then weld on your receiver. Use some anti-spatter spray to keep weld spatter from getting on the parts of your receiver you don't want to weld.

I've always wondered - how can you be a "mountain" man in Florida??? :biggrin:

ftierson
December 20, 2015, 15:22
I've always wondered - how can you be a "mountain" man in Florida??? :biggrin:

Not to divert the thread, but :) ...

Forrest

mountainman
December 20, 2015, 16:10
twas a little Village in Israel called Tappuach that I lived in. I used to hike the mountains between Itamar and Shchem ( Nablus in Latin) to work every day back at the turn of this Century. Boy do I miss my mountains. This isn't to far away from there.

https://scontent-mia1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/12304382_10153743026583374_2355009309837470501_o.j pg

kotengu
December 20, 2015, 23:14
Very nice! You had me going with "turn of the century". I thought - "dang, how old IS this guy?!??". I'm going to have to start using that. :D

I was working at Home Depot at the turn of the century. Nothing nearly as exciting and impressive as hiking the mountains of Israel!

mountainman
December 21, 2015, 03:03
Nothing nearly as exciting and impressive as hiking the mountains of Israel!

W/ 3 magazines a folder UZI, a radio, and a prayer. When it was winter and constantly snowing/ raining, add to that a 3/4 gallon container full of tea for my cold.

kotengu
December 21, 2015, 07:31
W/ 3 magazines a folder UZI, a radio, and a prayer. When it was winter and constantly snowing/ raining, add to that a 3/4 gallon container full of tea for my cold.

Awesome. I'm glad I asked!

nopec
December 21, 2015, 07:54
Unless you're an advanced welder you will blow through the receiver and ruin the heat treatment. If you're trying to correct mag wobble, it's easier and safer to cut shims to the gap below the dimples and jb weld them in place. If the wobble doesn't affect function, it's even easier to accept it.

mountainman
December 21, 2015, 11:24
Unless you're an advanced welder you will blow through the receiver and ruin the heat treatment. If you're trying to correct mag wobble, it's easier and safer to cut shims to the gap below the dimples and jb weld them in place. If the wobble doesn't affect function, it's even easier to accept it.

I'm kinda of on the fence as to whether an adhesive would do the job. I know this is not a high stress location, but ya never know if this thing ever becomes a SHTF item. I know welding can cause some serious problems.

Slow
December 21, 2015, 15:10
Solder or braze is you best bet IMHO, welding is going to be tough and a blow-thru suck or even warping on that thin steel is the sux.

mountainman
December 21, 2015, 20:02
Slow, on the topic of brazing, has anyone here ever successfully brazed anything and been able to parkerize over that. For me that is almost as difficult to park over as welding.

Slow
December 22, 2015, 07:41
braze wont park. but brownells has blacking agent for solder.

ALL FAL
December 22, 2015, 18:01
Make some small tabs of 20- .030 thousandths thicker cold rolled steel than the mag case and use EASY flow silver solder and sweat it between them, shape each mag for proper fit, if done right the repair should last a very long time.

12v71
December 22, 2015, 20:50
Make some small tabs of 20- .030 thousandths thicker cold rolled steel than the mag case and use EASY flow silver solder and sweat it between them, shape each mag for proper fit, if done right the repair should last a very long time.

Howzabout drill 2 holes in the dimple and do a quick Tig plug weld to hold the shim? Not much heat and guaranteed to hold forever. And it will park.