PDA

View Full Version : My Garand Hobby!

falover57
December 15, 2015, 11:37
With Canada's FAL rifle situation not likely to ever change I have taken up the Garand cause! Now before any purists get worked up about matching numbers or 'original' condition my rebuilds are just to get a nice looking operational Garand rifle. The receivers are Italian Beretta and Breda manufactured pieces that are as good as any American built parts (maybe better):wink:. Receivers are plentiful and inexpensive up here. I pay $61.50 CDN for each one. (price includes all taxes and shipping) I reparkerize most every one because I like to. Finding the rest of the parts is a challenge as there are not a lot of suppliers here for them. Some of what I assemble look stock but there are a couple that I have taken some creative license with. I will be posting more photos as time goes on.

This is one of the latter. .308 Criterion barrel in a Boyd's laminate. http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q699/falover57/garand/f3e0366b-d0a2-4e65-ab6b-a5585423298f_zps6aodm8xn.jpg (http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/falover57/media/garand/f3e0366b-d0a2-4e65-ab6b-a5585423298f_zps6aodm8xn.jpg.html)

Texgunner
December 15, 2015, 12:19
Very nice indeed! :bow:

ftierson
December 15, 2015, 12:25
Very nice indeed! :bow:

I agree... :)

Forrest

bubbagump
December 15, 2015, 13:26
At the risk of being burned at the stake on this forum the M1 is in many ways superior to the FAL anyway. Certainly when it the topic turns to what sort of accuracy can be wrung out of the rifle by tuning it up the M1 has the FAL beat both in terms of holding zero over time and group size on command. Then there's the sights, which are an order of magnitude better than what you get with a FAL.

Of course the measure of a battle rifle isn't so much about what can be wrung out of it on the national match course, there's a whole lot more to it than that obviously. But the point it when it comes to the mighty M1 the list of things the FAL does better is a short one and for me it starts and ends with 'chamber a .308 round'. And there's folks that will make an M1 do that too.

Anyway, great looking M1. Well done sir!

BiGB808
December 15, 2015, 14:14
Great looking rifle. Probably my favorite color in a laminate stock.

ArtBanks
December 15, 2015, 16:29
Beautiful. M1s are a favorite of mine. I shoot them way more than my FALS. If fact I don't think the FALs have had a round through them in over 20 years.

Tuhlmann
December 15, 2015, 16:53
Dang.... I don't want to like it but I really do. Very nice work. M1's deserve respect, and you have shown the requisite amount in your tasteful modern restoration. Kinda pissed about your cheap receiver hookup tho!

Orlando8
December 15, 2015, 17:39
My favorite Garand shooter is in .308. Good looking Garand you have

raubvogel
December 15, 2015, 18:40
Very nice

I'd love to find me a beretta receiver

V guy
December 15, 2015, 20:19
Apparently the very first Gas Trap Garands, the first 50,000 were the most accurate of all the Garands.

The guy producing the repro gas trap barrels, discovered that the original design was way more accurate, and builds the repro barrels the same way.

A std gas trap Garand is more accurate out of the box than most gas port Garands, and as accurate as the old NM '03's.

D P Six
December 15, 2015, 21:43
Apparently the very first Gas Trap Garands, the first 50,000 were the most accurate of all the Garands.

The guy producing the repro gas trap barrels, discovered that the original design was way more accurate, and builds the repro barrels the same way.

A std gas trap Garand is more accurate out of the box than most gas port Garands, and as accurate as the old NM '03's.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/%5Cfaqs%5CM1G-FAQs%5COpRod.htm

I had never heard about that before but Fulton Armory has an interesting article on gas traps, op rods, etc, Thanks

792mauser
December 16, 2015, 17:18
Drool! :homerdrool:

SteelGreyML
December 16, 2015, 19:37
Very nice!

Impala_Guy
December 23, 2015, 09:48

I can't remember if its Kuenhausen's book or Hatcher's, but Springfield Armory did extensive testing on gas port versus trap rifles and found no discernable loss of accuracy due to drilling in to the barrel. The Germans did the same thing with the G41 and G43 rifles. More likely the pre war Garands were simply of a higher quality, less rushed manufacture. They were making something like 100 per day in 1940, only a tiny fraction of what was needed after Pearl Harbor.

Mark IV
December 23, 2015, 10:33
You need to check out National Match Armory. They have some beautiful Garands for tall dollars, although they haven't updated their site in a while.

http://www.nationalmatcharmory.com/

Impala_Guy
December 23, 2015, 17:11
You need to check out National Match Armory. They have some beautiful Garands for tall dollars, although they haven't updated their site in a while.

http://www.nationalmatcharmory.com/

I'm curious what one could do to a refinished 1903-A3 rifle with a 2 groove barrel to make it worth almost $3000.

Mark IV
December 24, 2015, 08:08
I'm curious what one could do to a refinished 1903-A3 rifle with a 2 groove barrel to make it worth almost $3000.

Bored .030 over, forged pistons, forged rods and crank, full race cam and mechanical lifters, GMC 671 blower: Sub MOA and it runs in the low 10s.

I did mention they weren't cheap.

Democrat1
December 25, 2015, 17:49
Long time US NRA High Power shooter here. I had two .308 and two .30-'06 M1 match rifles built, and both of the .308 rifles shot better than the '06 rifles. Old Service rifle shooters from the 1960s and 1970s always told me it was that way also.

The only bad thing attributed to .308 M1 rifles is a greater incidence of out-of-battery explosions. Make sure your cartridges freely chamber in your rifle, and use hard primers, seated just below flush.

Blood of Tyrants
December 26, 2015, 15:29
The FAL's biggest drawbacks are the barrel and the trigger. I have custom made barrels using Rem 700 take offs that would hold slightly over MOA with surplus ammo and no trigger mods.

At the risk of being burned at the stake on this forum the M1 is in many ways superior to the FAL anyway. Certainly when it the topic turns to what sort of accuracy can be wrung out of the rifle by tuning it up the M1 has the FAL beat both in terms of holding zero over time and group size on command. Then there's the sights, which are an order of magnitude better than what you get with a FAL.

Of course the measure of a battle rifle isn't so much about what can be wrung out of it on the national match course, there's a whole lot more to it than that obviously. But the point it when it comes to the mighty M1 the list of things the FAL does better is a short one and for me it starts and ends with 'chamber a .308 round'. And there's folks that will make an M1 do that too.

Anyway, great looking M1. Well done sir!

raubvogel
December 27, 2015, 08:18
Mind posting a picture of your Remington 700-barreled FAL?

Hebrew Battle Rifle
December 27, 2015, 15:26
Putting surplus M1s back in service is always a good thing and certainly respected by me. I have a 1984 Harley Davidson Softail and if it were not for aftermarket parts, it would not be in service today. Keep that ol warhorse in the field as long as you can.

Blood of Tyrants
December 27, 2015, 20:44
Mind posting a picture of your Remington 700-barreled FAL?

Sorry, But I have sold them all.

gates
December 29, 2015, 01:04
Nice looking M1. Well done.