PDA

View Full Version : Need 1911 advice

MilsurpMonkey
December 14, 2015, 15:01
I have the opportunity to trade into a 1918 Colt produced 1911. It's in pretty nice shape for a shooter. I'm sure it's been reparked, but the frame, slide, grips and some small parts are original and have very clear markings. I don't know much about the early guns, but, from what I do know, here's what's been done.

Aftermarket flat msh
Matched and fitted National Match barrel and bushing
A1 grip safety
And some aftermarket target sights (slide not altered front or rear)
Wilson trigger

The gun was an old man's competition gun and from what people say was very good with this 1911. He died, a buddy got the gun and is offering to trade me out of a lnib Springfield Armory GI milspec 1911a1 and some other goods at about $200 value. I'd be in the Colt around the $700 mark. Is it worth it with what's been done?

VALMET
December 14, 2015, 16:33
Depends on who wants it. To me, it isn't worth more than a few hundred as nearly all of the "1918" is completely gone (those WW1 guns were originally blued so technically hasn't been "re" parked) and one can buy a very serviceable "match" 1911 in a Range Officer new for around $700. That said, someone may see it and it may "speak" to them and they'd gladly pay $700ish.

tdb59
December 14, 2015, 16:49
And some aftermarket target sights (slide not altered front or rear)

If this is correct, you have a good trade.

MilsurpMonkey
December 14, 2015, 17:35
I think I am going to do it, it will be a shooter, not a collector, and that's exactly what I'm trading for it, my shooter. I agree that most of the "1918" is gone. It's a very black finish, as it would have been, but it was originally blued you are correct, just poor prep in late 18 led to what I think they call "black army" colts. Blued but looked parked. Pretty sure current finnish is dark black park.

VALMET
December 14, 2015, 17:53
Go for it if you know you'll enjoy it. Yes, IIRC the late 1917-1919 guns were considered "Black Army's." Pics when you can...

MilsurpMonkey
December 14, 2015, 18:28
Going to meet him Friday and take another look at it. He says he has some original WWI era parts that come with it, trigger, rear sight, and a couple other small parts. Just told me he has another Colt from the same guy, but has the same stuff wrong, trigger NM barrel and bushing, aftermarket sights, but its a 1943 production and its blued. Says I can have my pic for the same deal. I'll certainly post up some pics if I end up with either of them.

Invictus77
December 14, 2015, 21:53
Going to meet him Friday and take another look at it. He says he has some original WWI era parts that come with it, trigger, rear sight, and a couple other small parts. Just told me he has another Colt from the same guy, but has the same stuff wrong, trigger NM barrel and bushing, aftermarket sights, but its a 1943 production and its blued. Says I can have my pic for the same deal. I'll certainly post up some pics if I end up with either of them.

For $700-ish I would grab one if not both.

MilsurpMonkey
December 14, 2015, 22:04
For $700-ish I would grab one if not both.

He'll only trade off 1, he's keeping whichever one I don't take. Only other 1911 he has is a 1945 Remington Rand that has a rewelded frame.

12v71
December 14, 2015, 23:38
He'll only trade off 1, he's keeping whichever one I don't take. Only other 1911 he has is a 1945 Remington Rand that has a rewelded frame.

Dude... you find all the cool stuff.:bow:

AliYahu
December 15, 2015, 01:19
Sounds good to me! Replace the recoil spring, those early frames would crack with heavy use so do what you can to keep it in good shape.

Eli

MilsurpMonkey
December 15, 2015, 09:43
Dude... you find all the cool stuff.:bow:

Yeah, but now I'm running out of trading stock lol. Damn guys know when they have something I want, I swear it's a conspiracy to amuse them. Good thing I don't have kids, they'd be up for grabs in the MP :wink:

12v71
December 15, 2015, 16:10
Yeah, but now I'm running out of trading stock lol. Damn guys know when they have something I want, I swear it's a conspiracy to amuse them. Good thing I don't have kids, they'd be up for grabs in the MP :wink:

You can't sell kids... Believe me... I've tried. :uhoh:

L Haney
December 15, 2015, 19:42
You can't sell kids... Believe me... I've tried. :uhoh:

Much easier to sell OTHER people's kids. The market is looking for the 'unpapered' ones.

tdb59
December 15, 2015, 19:48
Much easier to sell OTHER people's kids. The market is looking for the 'unpapered' ones.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/swV7PgAhTr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MilsurpMonkey
December 15, 2015, 21:21
Terry, you crack me up lol

sweetwine
December 26, 2015, 12:19
Slides were not hardened on the old guns and will crack with a lot of use. Just so you know.

Robere'
December 28, 2015, 16:54
Slides were not hardened on the old guns and will crack with a lot of use. Just so you know.

Yep this ^^^^, for a shooter I'd get a more modern pistol. The old war time stuff was only partially heat treated and while an unmolested collectible is worth the bucks, a modified/ refinished one isn't worth much and isn't practical to shoot much. Get a good used piece for practice and shooting.

catmguy445
December 29, 2015, 13:20
Yep this ^^^^, for a shooter I'd get a more modern pistol. The old war time stuff was only partially heat treated and while an unmolested collectible is worth the bucks, a modified/ refinished one isn't worth much and isn't practical to shoot much. Get a good used piece for practice and shooting.

Ditto. My $125 (what I paid in 1988 when I bought it) 1943 Remington Rand is now worth $1200-$1400, from what I've seen at gun shows, gun shops, and in the Blue Book. If I were in your place, I'd try to get the 1911 as close to original as possible without spending a fortune and buy a more modern .45 for a shooter.

MilsurpMonkey
December 29, 2015, 13:29
Guess I forgot to mention I've got 3 other 1911s for shooting, I'm looking at picking up the 1918 for the basic novelty of WWI manufacture and markings. I've got no shortage of shooters, but I have not a single USGI 1911. Holidays got in the way of taking another look at it so it's on hold for a little while till we've got time to meet up.