PDA

View Full Version : Big Ol' Bubba Head + SKB O/U w/ Adjustable Comb = No Sight Alignment

Bug Tussell
December 10, 2015, 12:19
I bought an SKB 785 with an adjustable comb. I joined my local gun club and want to do some skeet/trap shooting. A guy had the O/U for a decent price so I bought it (no paperwork, no transfer, no nothing but hand him some money and he handed me the O/U - don't tell Hillary or she will pee herself with glee as she can now say "I told you so!!").

It has a buncha bells and whistles. But my big old bubba head won't let me get down far enough to get the beads aligned.

What are the options for adjusting this shotgun to fit my genetics?

I have the same problem with my Browning Auto-5. I can't get a comfortable sight alignment with that shotgun either.

Thanks for your recommendations.

meltblown
December 10, 2015, 12:20
Damn son, I have a large head. I'd hate to see what a Remmy 1100 would be like if you struggle with an A-5 humpback

okiefarmer
December 10, 2015, 12:31
Go here, I had the same issues with an SKB 85TSS.

www.addarib.com

They sell stick on ribs in various heights to help you keep your head/eyes level with rib. Worked great for me until I get the damn thing stolen.

I went up to Lowes and got some of that rolled adhesive insulation to experiment with what I needed. I ended up with a 3/4" add-on. Comes with double sided 3-M tape. If you ever change your mind, it comes off with fishing line.

Bug Tussell
December 10, 2015, 12:47
Damn son, I have a large head. I'd hate to see what a Remmy 1100 would be like if you struggle with an A-5 humpback

Never had a problem with an 1100 or 870 or Mossy 500. Wonder if I got combs with less drop on the A5 and SKB?

SAFN49
December 10, 2015, 14:09
Go have yourself measured for a stock, and buy one that fits.

http://www.wenig.com/

K. Funk
December 10, 2015, 17:48
785's are fairly high end guns. I don't see anything that was listed with an adjustable stock. If the gun is already modified, do as SAFN says and get yourself measured and then gut a correct butt installed. I guess a high rib would accomplish the same thing, but a tad more expensive.

krf

bulletslap
December 10, 2015, 23:02
Have the stock bent to fit you and/or lower the comb with a rasp.

Pluribus
December 11, 2015, 12:44
Have the stock bent to fit you and/or lower the comb with a rasp.

There ya' go right there. Cut it to your pull, bend it to your oblique and, swamp the comb to your sweet cheek.

I ain't kiddin' neither. All the rich bastards do that. Even the poor ones.

I still ain't kiddin' neither.

:wink:

Do it Mr. Tussel, don't let it Bug ya'

Aaahh- ha, Aaahh- ha, Aaahh- ha,........

I'm funny...........:rofl:

Bug Tussell
December 11, 2015, 20:01
Have the stock bent to fit you ...

Have the stock bent to fit you? How is that done?

Bug Tussell
December 11, 2015, 20:02
There ya' go right there. Cut it to your pull, bend it to your oblique and, swamp the comb to your sweet cheek.

I ain't kiddin' neither. All the rich bastards do that. Even the poor ones.

I still ain't kiddin' neither.

:wink:

Do it Mr. Tussel, don't let it Bug ya'

Aaahh- ha, Aaahh- ha, Aaahh- ha,........

I'm funny...........:rofl:

Ayyyyyeeeee..... maybe your wife will get you a sense of humor for Christmas?

Ba-da-dump-dump....

Pluribus
December 11, 2015, 22:16
I know, dull as dishwater I've been told. I meant what I said though and, I believe bulletslap meant the same too.

Bending is accomplished by localized steaming at the point of deflection. Comb height is adjusted by cutting, rasping, sanding until it suits you with some folks actually cutting a "wallow" where their cheek rests against the stock.

Or, go the mile high route with the mile high ribs and Evel Kneivel jump ramp. Trick is trick and, how cool is that? Make it anyway you want if anyway you want works for you.

Bug Tussell
December 11, 2015, 22:33
I googled bending and got a video from Brownell's showing how to do it. I thought you guys were pulling my leg. I had no idea such things were done.

That does give me another option if I can find a gunsmith in NM that does such things. If not here then over in AZ when I visit the kids for Christmas.

Thanks for the input.

:bow:

Andy the Aussie
December 11, 2015, 23:12
I just can't believe that no one has suggested a head transplant ... ;) :uhoh:

Pluribus
December 11, 2015, 23:18
:thumbsup:

I told you I wad'nt kiddin'

:shades:

Bug Tussell
December 12, 2015, 12:20
You guys are brutal ...

Head transplant, penis transplant... :facepalm:

Bug Tussell
December 12, 2015, 12:22
785's are fairly high end guns. I don't see anything that was listed with an adjustable stock. If the gun is already modified, do as SAFN says and get yourself measured and then gut a correct butt installed. I guess a high rib would accomplish the same thing, but a tad more expensive.

krf

This one has an adjustable comb and an adjustable, shock delayed butt pad.

yovinny
December 14, 2015, 18:05
I've got a 685 sporting clays model, which is basically the same minus the engraving.
Have you opened it and got your hand pinched yet :uhoh:

bulletslap
December 14, 2015, 20:44
I wish I knew of a Gunsmith in New Mex that bent stocks; but I don't.

Bug Tussell
December 15, 2015, 07:36
I'm thinking about just heightening the rib. It won't take much. I kinda hate to do bending and swamping if a higher rib added on will do the trick.