PDA

View Full Version : KRD 17rd Hi-Power mags

PASHOOTER
December 07, 2015, 20:43
Anyone try them.

HankC
December 07, 2015, 21:02
Anyone try them.
They are the same mag as their 15 rnd but with a deeper floor. I have their 15 rnd mags, stiff spring but reliable. CDNN used to sell them maybe still have them.

croftonaviation
December 08, 2015, 14:06
When I had my hi powers I used them quite a lot. Never had any issues, if you can find some go for it!

SPEEDGUNNER
December 08, 2015, 18:19
I've had experience with both the 15rd and 17rd KRD mags and had no issues. If you can get past the clunky floorplate on both they are solid, reliable mags.

yellowhand
December 08, 2015, 18:57
Yep, good solid mags, built like a tank!
Have not seen them in a long time at CDNN.
Argentine military issue from what I remember.

CDNN had a black Friday sale for factory HP mags, @ 19.00 each
Mine came in, yepper, identical to what came with my Practical.:biggrin:

BUFF
December 09, 2015, 01:48
I bought some nice high-capacity Hi-Power mags from Dan's Ammo years back. Great mags. Anyone remember where they were from/who made them?

GreenGiant
December 09, 2015, 09:26
I have two 13 rounders that I bought for a song a while back. I wish I had bought more. They arrived a bit rough and gritty but with a nice aluminum follower. Once I cleaned and dry lubed them one worked great and I had to lightly file the magazine catch notch for the other one. Both work 100% now.

Best $8 each I have spent on a magazine ever!

Blackmore
December 11, 2015, 07:14
I bought some nice high-capacity Hi-Power mags from Dan's Ammo years back. Great mags. Anyone remember where they were from/who made them?

I got some, too. Think they are Indian (as in South Asia;)).

PASHOOTER
December 12, 2015, 05:38
Guy' s thanks for all the information. I picked up 2 of the KRD mags for $10 each. Think I got a good deal. I will let you know how the work. Thanks again.

GreenGiant
December 13, 2015, 18:00
Where did you get them and do they have more?

Roadmarker
December 13, 2015, 20:00
Please, oh please let us know.

PASHOOTER
December 14, 2015, 13:56
I found them on Gun Broker. A guy had sold his Hi-Power and sold the mags in an auction. I bid and got lucky that no one else did. They were the only 2 he had.

catmguy445
December 21, 2015, 18:38
I bought a couple of them a year or two back, because they were advertised as being made in Argentina and they were pretty cheap at the time.

Compared to my other Hi Power mags, I don't care for them a whole lot. The mag spring is a lot heavier than it needs to be, the inside of the mag body is rough as a cob, and there are a lot of sharp edges anywhere the mag has an exposed surface, and they WILL cut you if you're not careful. Sanding the feed lips and floor plate attaching lips helps cure the sharp edges.

The mags I have are VERY hard to load 15 rounds into unless you use one of the UpLula mag loaders. I took the 17 round floor plates off because I didn't like them, but that's an individual choice.

However, most of my grumps about these mags are mostly cosmetic. I was pleasantly surprised to find that as far as function went, they worked just fine. I still like factory Browning mags and Mec-Gar mags (which may be the same thing; I have a sneaky feeling that Mec-Gar makes the mags for Browning) a whole lot better than the KRD mags. But I do have to admit that at least in my Argentine Hi Power, the KRD mags worked without a hitch.

yellowhand
December 21, 2015, 18:49
Just got in two factory browning mags, exact same thing as Meg gar, made in Italy, right down to the stamping, made in Italy.

nvcdl
December 22, 2015, 15:13
I bought a couple of them a year or two back, because they were advertised as being made in Argentina and they were pretty cheap at the time.

Compared to my other Hi Power mags, I don't care for them a whole lot. The mag spring is a lot heavier than it needs to be, the inside of the mag body is rough as a cob, and there are a lot of sharp edges anywhere the mag has an exposed surface, and they WILL cut you if you're not careful. Sanding the feed lips and floor plate attaching lips helps cure the sharp edges.

The mags I have are VERY hard to load 15 rounds into unless you use one of the UpLula mag loaders. I took the 17 round floor plates off because I didn't like them, but that's an individual choice.

However, most of my grumps about these mags are mostly cosmetic. I was pleasantly surprised to find that as far as function went, they worked just fine. I still like factory Browning mags and Mec-Gar mags (which may be the same thing; I have a sneaky feeling that Mec-Gar makes the mags for Browning) a whole lot better than the KRD mags. But I do have to admit that at least in my Argentine Hi Power, the KRD mags worked without a hitch.

I had same experience - the KRD mags were cheap in the ban days but a pain in the ass to load. Meg gar and mil-surplus hipower mags much better.