PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21

perryturner
December 05, 2015, 17:14
Got one that I've fed a couple of hundred rounds of 230 gr. FMJ, without a problem. Now I''m wondering how many rounds of 230 gr. Speer Gold Dot I need to feed it before calling it good to carry in my truck.

Has anyone else ever had a Glock 21 fail to feed Speer Gold Dots? Any other factory ammo?

After a dozen Glocks over the last 20 years, I can't remember a feeding problem with any of them.

kotengu
December 05, 2015, 17:33
My G30 feeds 230gr Gold Dots just fine - but they're handloads so the OAL may be slightly different than factory. I just bought a G41 but haven't tried the Gold Dots in it yet.

tac-40
December 05, 2015, 20:58
I have my old duty G21 that was fed Gold Dots for about 10 years until we went to the SXT's. No problem eating anything fed. You just need to check your springs every couple of years, your extractor after every range time (will function with a broken extractor), and above all, keep any oil or lube out of the striker channel.

SAFN49
December 05, 2015, 22:11
Try a full mag, in each mag, you are going to depend on while carrying. Use what ever you use while carrying. If a full mag functions you should be good to go. So figure shooting a box, box and a half of GDHP's.

VALMET
December 05, 2015, 22:23
While I realize that one is "supposed to" run 100 rounds or so of their ccw ammo thru their gun prior to carrying, I'd feel 110% confident with almost any ammo in any Glock for ccw (especially Speer GD). I've owned a 2004-vintage G-21 for years and it's been flawless with any and all ammo I've put thru it.

yellowhand
December 06, 2015, 00:19
My 21 C will feed anything, all the time, never had a malfunction ever, several K worth of about anything and everything.

gordo63
December 06, 2015, 06:05
My G21 fed GDs just fine. Doubt you have any issues.

perryturner
December 06, 2015, 09:18
I tried to go to the range yesterday morning to run a box through, but didn't make it. And my experience said it wasn't really necessary. I was just looking for a larger sample. Thanks to all for the input.

Perry

VFRMac
December 06, 2015, 10:34
Had a 21 break its firing, pin twice. Circa 1992-3. Glock has great customer service. They gave it a complete salt water upgrade, free.
Traded for HK USP, cost twice as much, but has not had a bobble, or break.

ftierson
December 06, 2015, 11:08
I have two Glock 21s, a Gen3 and an early (square ejection port) Gen2.

I have never had any problems with either, including handloads with the old Speer 200gr 'flying ashtray.'

Glock redesigned the followers of the G21 mag early on to address reported problems with HP ammo in the guns. As a matter of fact, I shipped all my early mags back to them to have them install the new follower/spring assemblies (I guess that they didn't trust the end-user to do that :) ).

Having said that, I never had problems with the first mags (although, from comments, many people did) and have never had problems with the mags with the replacement followers.

Since then, Glock mags have undergone further redesigns, with the current G21 mag followers having the sharp pointed follower just like the 9mm mags. I've never had a problem with the new ones either.

Then again, I've never used Gold-Dots, so this is probably all irrelevant in terms of your original question/comment... :)

Forrest

spatin
December 27, 2015, 09:55
I had some FTF's on two of my Glocks, my 30SF and my 23, but both were my fault for shooting too many rounds between a good thorough cleaning. Now I pay more attention to the feed ramp. Other than that, no issues in thousands of rounds.

Got one that I've fed a couple of hundred rounds of 230 gr. FMJ, without a problem. Now I''m wondering how many rounds of 230 gr. Speer Gold Dot I need to feed it before calling it good to carry in my truck.

Has anyone else ever had a Glock 21 fail to feed Speer Gold Dots? Any other factory ammo?

After a dozen Glocks over the last 20 years, I can't remember a feeding problem with any of them.

Skilter
December 28, 2015, 02:12
Never had an issue ther in my 21.... The SF I did have an issue though. My G2 21 runs like a top. Ymmv

SBH
January 05, 2016, 10:27
I have some 185 gr Federal jacketed SWC's that would not feed in my 21. Not enough bullet ogive to contact the feed ramp. They went thru my Colt 1911 just fine. I also have some 200 gr FMJ, Federal that DOES work. My 21 doesn't like any lead bullets. The polygonal rifling must be the reason. jmho

broderick
January 05, 2016, 17:46
forcryingoutloud, its a glock! it will feed any factory ammo, no problem.

Shootability
January 05, 2016, 17:59
I used to shoot a G21 both in IDPA and USPSA - the only issue I ever had was trying to run SWC to the same length as I run in my 1911 - I could trade which was reliable but not get both with one load. So to answer your question - testing may be worthwhile but SWC is pretty hard for some guns.

GD is not SWC - generally very reliable and accurate - I much prefer it over a 1911.

W.E.G.
January 05, 2016, 18:50
forcryingoutloud, its a glock! it will feed any factory ammo, no problem.

This.

kotengu
February 14, 2016, 17:36
My G30 feeds 230gr Gold Dots just fine - but they're handloads so the OAL may be slightly different than factory. I just bought a G41 but haven't tried the Gold Dots in it yet.

This is old, but in case anyone else searches it: I tried my 230gr Speer Gold Dot handloads in my G41 today, and almost every round FTF. Bolt over base, nosedives, etc. OAL is 1.200"0.005". Powder charge is 7.3gr N-350. 230gr FMJ feeds just fine in it.

After this I had to confirm to make me feel better, but they feed 100% in my Gen 2.5 G30. Just FYI -

spider991
February 14, 2016, 22:31
Odd..hmm,our issue round was the 230g gold dot for years in our gens 3 and 4 21s and our 30s...never an issue,reliable as ball ammo...

kotengu
February 14, 2016, 23:33
Anybody have a factory round they can measure OAL?

spider991
February 17, 2016, 17:41
i got some factory stuff, i will caliper them when i get home tonight