PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand question

TedMckay
November 27, 2015, 03:33
Hello all , this is my first post . I am glad To be here , Thanks .
Alright guys I just picked up this beauty . I am trying to figure out how to add more than one picture and figure out this site . This rifle had been sitting in a safe since 1979 . This Garand has a June 1942 receiver in amazing condition . The overall condition of all its internal parts are the best I have seen . I believe after WW2 the rifle was was arsenal rebuilt for Korea in 1951-52 . The barrel on this rifle is a HRA barrel I-51 . It is worn and pitted but still shoots nice groups . Now the bad , sometime after the rifles use in Korea it was sold to a gunsmith . The gunsmith added some national match parts and did a beautiful job refinishing ( ruining ) the stock . Then sold it to the man I bought it from . I cannot decide on the value of this rifle and would like some help , thanks and i cannot stress enough pictures do not do this beauty justice it looks brand new .

TedMckay
November 27, 2015, 03:34
Another pic

TedMckay
November 27, 2015, 03:36
One final pic

ArtBanks
November 27, 2015, 05:16
Keep the rifle as a shooter. You could always screw on a new barrel. Stock looks pretty darn nice. With service grades going for 7 - 9 bills, I would think your rifle would be in that area.

Orlando8
November 27, 2015, 06:23
With a worn pitted barrel I dont see how you could get $700 for it. IMO its a $600 , maybe $650 on a very good day Garand on the secondary market

ArtBanks
November 27, 2015, 08:32
That would be 700 -900 with a new barrel, not with the pitted one. Sorry, I knew what I was trying to say. Thanks for waking me up. Must be the turkey hangover.

bubbagump
November 27, 2015, 08:34
With a worn pitted barrel I dont see how you could get $700 for it. IMO its a $600 , maybe $650 on a very good day Garand on the secondary market

Oh I dunno, as long as the thing still shoots $800 probably isn't too far out of line. That is, as long as it still shoots ...

TedMckay
November 27, 2015, 13:39
Thanks guys , I took it to my local gunshop . The owner said if it came in his shop he would pay 700.00 cash , do 900.00 in trade and put a price on it of 1150.00 . I was going to leave the barrel on for two reasons one it shoots fine , two I thought that HRA barrel was rare marked I-51 i thought that was the first barrel's made for the garand by hra . Of i researched it right hra wS given a contract to rebarrel rifles before getting a contract to produce rifles .

Orlando8
November 28, 2015, 07:07
That date barrel commands no premium.

toys
November 28, 2015, 14:33
depends on what you want to know the "value" for.

If you want to try and sell it, just put it up at your local shop and see. You can also do the same online too. But chances are you will need to post ALOT of pics of all of the mods.

To me, if all you want to know if you got a good deal, then just forget it and enjoy shooting a piece of history no matter whats been done to it.

If you want to sell it and try to make some $$$, then you could do that. IMO, if its been modded and if i wanted it i would just part it out minus the receiver and have a semi custom M1 made to my liking using as many of the good parts as possible and replacing the rest with new or good used one.

I have a service grade M1 from the CMP and one M1 in 308 that i had semi custom assembled/made to my likes. They are both great M1s, but the service grade will stay that way even with the rebuilds. Its still a shooter even with the wear.

TedMckay
November 30, 2015, 10:59
Thanks for the information guys , I want to keep it . I just wanted to make sure I didn't pay to much . I gave 700.00 and a new ruger lc9.