PDA

View Full Version : M1 6th or 7th round stoppage

12v71
November 25, 2015, 15:06
As most of you know, I'm a Garand newb. Last time out with my new toy, it ate 5-6 clips with no issue then started to stop feeding at mostly the 6th round, sometimes the 7th. It would put the bullet tip on the left side of the breech and just stop, didn't mash the tip or anything like that. thumbed the bullet to the center of the chamber and smacked the op handle and off we go. Ammo is PPU 150gr Garand food and the clips are marked AEC and have a rough fresh park job. Do they need some break in time?

MilsurpMonkey
November 25, 2015, 16:01
Pretty sure the clip latch spring is the culprit (was on mine with very similar symptoms) but I've also had trouble with the AEC clips as well, only had 2 of them mixed with my surplus clips so it was easy to toss them out. But my clip issues were that they didn't want to fully seat like the rest. Don't think I had feeding issues with them.

MilsurpMonkey
November 25, 2015, 20:05
Surprised tdb59 hasn't chimed in, he'd probably be able to give ya an accurate way to diagnose the cause.

12v71
November 25, 2015, 20:46
Surprised tdb59 hasn't chimed in, he'd probably be able to give ya an accurate way to diagnose the cause.

Been waiting for that. The man knows his stuff. :)

tdb59
November 25, 2015, 20:47
Just got here.

Worn/ weak op-rod spring. Get a complete spring kit from Brownell's, and replace all.

PM your address, and I will send some original USGI clips- gratis.

T

Orlando8
November 26, 2015, 18:07
Has nothing to do with clip latch spring. Sounds like a timing issue which can be a number of things
It is recommended by CMP to completely dissasemble the rifle ,clean and properly grease it. Did you do this??
Also those new AEC enblocs can cause issues. I would either put them in a tumbler to remove some of the rough parkerizing or buy USGI enblocs
As suggested also replace the op rod spring. Go with Orion 7 or Garandgear spring. Wolff can cause short stroking
Do all of the above and fire rifle again. I would be issue will be fixed. If not reoprt back

12v71
November 26, 2015, 23:29
Has nothing to do with clip latch spring. Sounds like a timing issue which can be a number of things
It is recommended by CMP to completely dissasemble the rifle ,clean and properly grease it. Did you do this??
Also those new AEC enblocs can cause issues. I would either put them in a tumbler to remove some of the rough parkerizing or buy USGI enblocs
As suggested also replace the op rod spring. Go with Orion 7 or Garandgear spring. Wolff can cause short stroking
Do all of the above and fire rifle again. I would be issue will be fixed. If not reoprt back

Thanks, I'm betting op rod spring. Stripped it down while dinner settled and found 3 major kinks in the spring where the wire was worn halfway through. I'll get a new spring and relube and see how things work. I do have a couple of GI clips to try also.

ftierson
November 27, 2015, 03:14
Worn/ weak op-rod spring. Get a complete spring kit from Brownell's, and replace all.

This...

Forrest

ftierson
November 27, 2015, 03:16
By the way, Tony Pucci at Orion 7 usually has very high quality stainless steel replacement op rod springs in stock. He has them made expressly for this application. I routinely replace the original spring with one of these with excellent results...

Forrest

12v71
November 27, 2015, 18:49
By the way, Tony Pucci at Orion 7 usually has very high quality stainless steel replacement op rod springs in stock. He has them made expressly for this application. I routinely replace the original spring with one of these with excellent results...

Forrest

Sounds like very good advice, Thanks.:bow:

12v71
December 05, 2015, 21:30
Got my Wolff spring kit today from Brownells. New oprod spring was a full 1.5" longer than the old kinky spring. Bolt closes with serious authority now. Thanks for the info guys. And thanks for the clips tdb 59. Weather permitting, we'll find out tomorrow if it's happy now.:biggrin:

Tuscan Raider
December 06, 2015, 12:04
Now get the things to reload.
Cheap powder over here. ;)

12v71
December 06, 2015, 13:54
Now get the things to reload.
Cheap powder over here. ;)

I may be taking you up on that in a month or so. The damn thing is just too much fun to shoot. My kid absconded with my reloading stuff for his .243, so I'm looking at getting another setup. I'm also going to teach the Coffee Vixen to pull the lever since she shoots so much of the ammo... Wants her own M1 too. :uhoh:

tdb59
December 06, 2015, 18:08
.....Wants her own M1 too. :uhoh:

Hmmmm...

:biggrin:

MilsurpMonkey
December 06, 2015, 19:18
Gotta have 3 to use the stacking swivel anyhow :whistling:

garandguy10
December 06, 2015, 21:52
Be sure the rifle is properly lubricated.

ftierson
December 06, 2015, 22:18

Proper lubrication is never bad... :)

With an M1, it's essential...

While the original Lubriplate works just fine, I usually use a more modern one, usually a nickel based anti-seize. Just don't use too much... :)

And, when you shoot the rifle, don't wear clothes you want to wear later to the opera...

Forrest

garandguy10
December 06, 2015, 22:23
I use Moly wheel bearing grease, it's cheap and works great.

12v71
December 06, 2015, 22:24
Gotta have 3 to use the stacking swivel anyhow :whistling:

The BM 59 will make a good third for now.:biggrin:

12v71
December 06, 2015, 22:27
Just did it up with lubriplate. Got tons of the stuff for assembling engines and large transmissions.

bubbagump
December 07, 2015, 07:28
I may be taking you up on that in a month or so. The damn thing is just too much fun to shoot. My kid absconded with my reloading stuff for his .243, so I'm looking at getting another setup. I'm also going to teach the Coffee Vixen to pull the lever since she shoots so much of the ammo... Wants her own M1 too. :uhoh:

Good problem to have, that ... :) ... ditto on all the lubrication advice too. Don't forget a light touch of grease on the op rod spring, people tend to forget that.. operative word 'light'.

Orlando8
December 07, 2015, 19:05
Wish you would have listened to my post and bought a spring from Orion 7
Wolff op rod springs are extra power and "can" cause short stroking.