PDA

View Full Version : M1 carbine question

MilsurpMonkey
November 25, 2015, 10:23
Question for the experts here, my Google fu is failing to give me a clear answer. What is the difference between the Saginaw S.G. and S'G' guns? I remember an old timer telling me one took over Irwin Peterson production, the other was a more common gun, but can't remember which is which?

randy762ak
November 25, 2015, 12:02
All My books are in storage ==If you get this book You will find most every answer you seek,, I had the fortune of setting up Next to Larry Ruth the author at a gun show! great guy!!

War Baby! The U.S. Caliber .30 Carbine, Vol. 1

Presented in Collector Grade's usual in-depth fashion, WAR BABY! is the complete story of the design, development and production of all models of the U.S. military carbine, from the inception of the program in 1940 through to its termination at the end of World War II. The carbine is the most popular military shoulder arm in American history. The carbine program was a major achievement in many ways. First of all "nothing succeeds like success", and over six million U.S. cabines were produced from mid-1942 to mid- 1945, nearly five million of them in 1943-44 alone.

tdb59
November 25, 2015, 12:04
Here ya go....

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/manufacturers.html

:wink:

MilsurpMonkey
November 25, 2015, 12:33
Perfect, just what I was looking for Terry! Thanks. I've got the War Baby books as well but couldn't find them last night. Looks like the one I'll be trading for is a grand rapids gun, with possibly original 3-43 Underwood barrel. Typical arsenal update condition.

308/223shooter
November 25, 2015, 15:20
Perfect, just what I was looking for Terry! Thanks. I've got the War Baby books as well but couldn't find them last night. Looks like the one I'll be trading for is a grand rapids gun, with possibly original 3-43 Underwood barrel. Typical arsenal update condition.

The books are likely buried under your MilSuprs and parts kits. :biggrin:

MilsurpMonkey
November 25, 2015, 16:04
The books are likely buried under your MilSuprs and parts kits. :biggrin:

Probably lol. I was pleased to find my Bruce Canfield Garand book while looking, unfortunately, wrong gun :facepalm:

MilsurpMonkey
November 25, 2015, 20:02
http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj486/Milsurpmonkey/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151125_164529761_zpsryvxmhjj.jpg

http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj486/Milsurpmonkey/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20151125_164703174_zpsdypyzyxq.jpg

So, traded a flat band Winchester 94 to a buddy for this little 3-43 Saginaw S'G' in the 3.2 mil block. Appears to be the original barrel, action, and bolt. Everything else is more than likely arsenal replaced during rebuild. Only commercial parts are the stock and handguard from the cmp. It looks great above my Winchester late 44 carbine. Only wish I hadn't sold my 1-45 Inland now.

MilsurpMonkey
November 26, 2015, 10:58
Got to break her down last night. Looks like a nice rearsenaled mix. Barrel date matches receiver serial date, and is a correct Underwood barrel in excellent condition. The slide is a type II Underwood, bolt is an unmarked flat bolt with Saginaw S'G' internals. The trigger housing is a type V Inland with Winchester hammer and sear, and a National Postal Meter trigger. Saftey and mag catch are post war update parts along with the barrel band and rear sight. Should be a real nice shooter. If anyone happens to have a decent GI carbine stock and handguard, I've got a very nice CMP set to trade :D

12v71
November 26, 2015, 13:02
You will be bringing one of those the next time we get together? It's only fair after I attempted to ruin your life by letting you shoot my FALO. :wink:

MilsurpMonkey
November 26, 2015, 13:33
You will be bringing one of those the next time we get together? It's only fair after I attempted to ruin your life by letting you shoot my FALO. :wink:

Tell ya what, I'll bring them both :wink: :beer:

12v71
November 26, 2015, 13:56
Cool, I'll pick up a couple boxes of .30 carbine for that. And for the one I'll probably end buying after that. :uhoh:

MilsurpMonkey
November 26, 2015, 14:01
Yeah... You let Coffee Vixen get ahold of one and you may be in trouble. Shoots like a .22 and packs a slightly better punch. Best jackrabbit gun around.

12v71
November 27, 2015, 18:39
Yeah... You let Coffee Vixen get ahold of one and you may be in trouble. Shoots like a .22 and packs a slightly better punch. Best jackrabbit gun around.
Well, she thinks I need another Garand and when I showed her these pics her response was "Cool, a small Garand". I'm going to hand her the Mini 14 and tell her its cheaper to shoot.:whistling: