PDA

View Full Version : P229/.40....any thoughts?

Oz308
November 24, 2015, 17:47
Hi All-

Been looking at a 229 in .40, doing some reading and researching on 229's. Kind of hard to find an objective review.

Anything to watch out for, or are they really as good as all the articles claim?

I'm a noob in regards to SIG's.

Thank you for your time.

W.E.G.
November 24, 2015, 18:01
SIG makes excellent product.

You will not be disappointed.

Well, until you find a gun by a different manufacturer that serves the intended purpose equally well for considerably less money.

Not that it matters.

Guns are cheap.
Its everything else that has to do with guns that accounts for 85% of the cost of a gun hobby.

Guy-epic
November 24, 2015, 19:28
I own the Sig P229 e2 in 40. I can honestly say that my first pistol was a full size 1911 that I have enjoyed keeping on my hip right up until I tried the P229. It took me some getting use to as far as controls are just a bit different, learning to shoot with the heavy first shot, and then the wonderful SRT. Also it was odd not using my thumb to drop the safety, that has all passed with some helpful training from a great instructor. I can't think of a better pistol. I have tried many none have been as fun to shoot.

abbynormal
November 24, 2015, 19:53
Jump on it!!!! Pick up a factory .357 barrel and switch it and you'll have the perfect gun. Practice with the cheaper .40 and carry the flat shooting .357!!!!!

Right Side Up
November 24, 2015, 20:09
I had a 229. Liked it a lot. Ex-wife has it. She liked it too.

spider991
November 24, 2015, 21:40
Lotsa used p229 cop guns in 40cal floating around and coming out and bound to be a ton more. Great guns and with them hitting the market for reasonable prices used, it's a win for us.

douglas
November 24, 2015, 22:10
+1 to what ABBYNORMAL said.
I have a P-229 in 9mm. Great pistol. .357 Sig would take to a whole new level.

Oz308
November 24, 2015, 22:13
Hey Guys-

Thanks much for this- I really appreciate it. The SIG is an older, gently used one, no abuse or bubba-ing.

Didn't know you could swap the barrels, that's a cool tip. I've shot .40 before, but not .357SIG.

Any recommendations for a good carry round- brand/loading, etc.? Both in .357 and .40?

Thanks again guys for your time and courtesy, it's appreciated.

W.E.G.
November 24, 2015, 23:17
Federal HST or Hornady Critical Duty

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UWy2AB_AQYo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kjrenK4N_qY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P8ln6DcUxhE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wildcat
November 25, 2015, 00:07
Didn't know you could swap the barrels, that's a cool tip. I've shot .40 before, but not .357SIG.

Any recommendations for a good carry round- brand/loading, etc.? Both in .357 and .40?

If you are going to play around with the 357 SIG round, invest in some good hearing protection.

pre1989
November 25, 2015, 02:37
The big selling point is how gosh darn cheep they are .. A sig 40 or 357 sig your choice of actions and either a 226 or a 229 can be found for like 350-400 .. Most near new or if you want new 500

Police guns they can be ceeh pa nd good

Most of my guns are 40 in all metal guns its not bad at all .. Plus you can swtich to 9mm and 357 sig so big plus

HST and gold dots are nice

Retired Bum
November 25, 2015, 04:39
In 1995 I bought a new Sig P229 chambered for the then new .357 Sig round. When Sig announced that they would start selling barrels for it I acquired a .40 S&W barrel.

Switching barrels in the P229 is simplicity itself. Just field strip the pistol and swap barrels. The same recoil spring and magazines work with both rounds. My P229 shoots to POA with the 125 grain .357 load and with the 180 grain .40 load at 50 feet.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Oz308
November 25, 2015, 13:10
Hey All-

Thanks so much for all of this info. This place is pretty doggone cool, lots of knowledgeable folks, good info too.

Probably be checking the Siggy out after turkey day. Hope this works out well.
It's always interesting to try new boomers out.

Thanks much again, and wish all of you and your families a safe and Happy Thanksgiving.

Guy-epic
November 25, 2015, 14:22
I had a 229. Liked it a lot. Ex-wife has it. She liked it too.

Oh man that's not cool. Time to get a new toy. I sleep with mine next to me. I really feel like it's a extension of my hand.

Right Side Up
November 26, 2015, 01:51
Has anyone seen any 229 police trade-ins? I really want another one.

Thanks.

Guy-epic
November 26, 2015, 14:33
Has anyone seen any 229 police trade-ins? I really want another one.

Thanks.

I haven't seen any lately, but if you get another Sig try the Kramer holster for it. So very nice. Also I think due to the low capacity the P5 in 9mm or P225 is so very underrated. I purchased one that was carried much and shot little. This pistol was the reason for many changes that we know today to be common. Sadly the low magazine round capacity keeps it as a not very popular pistol, and that you can buy them so very cheap. I look at it as a huge plus, I was taught that if you needed more then five shots you maybe in over Your head.

Oz308
November 26, 2015, 18:19
Hi All-

Went to take Sig for a walk at the range today.

Didn't behave at all. It jammed/stovepiped more than it ran.

Firstly, wondering if it was the ammo at hand. PPU 180gr JHP. It's just all I had in hand.

Second, mag issue possible? I would not run with it full (12 rounds). So I kept reducing the count, eventually down to 3....it would sort of run. But even then the jams persisted- both with trying to drop the slide with the release, or hand-controlling it.

It was physically checked, and lubricated, before even taking it out, didn't notice any obvious flaws. But then again, I'm no SIG armorer, all I did was a good visual inspection, and function checked the controls.

Thoughts?

I've only had a few semis, and they always seem to have some sort of prob, especially with any non-round nose rounds.

I'm not gonna slam Sigs because of this, but am just sort of puzzled, the claim is they'll eat anything with no probs.

:confused:

JohnnyV1966
November 27, 2015, 19:00
Hi All-

Went to take Sig for a walk at the range today.

Didn't behave at all. It jammed/stovepiped more than it ran.

Firstly, wondering if it was the ammo at hand. PPU 180gr JHP. It's just all I had in hand.

Second, mag issue possible? I would not run with it full (12 rounds). So I kept reducing the count, eventually down to 3....it would sort of run. But even then the jams persisted- both with trying to drop the slide with the release, or hand-controlling it.

It was physically checked, and lubricated, before even taking it out, didn't notice any obvious flaws. But then again, I'm no SIG armorer, all I did was a good visual inspection, and function checked the controls.

Thoughts?

I've only had a few semis, and they always seem to have some sort of prob, especially with any non-round nose rounds.

I'm not gonna slam Sigs because of this, but am just sort of puzzled, the claim is they'll eat anything with no probs.

:confused:

Something is wrong! Either your SIG has something wrong with it, it might even be the pistols magazine, or something was wrong with the ammunition. Everyone who I know that has a SIG touts its accuracy and reliability. They run like a sewing machine when it comes to reliability.

Retired Bum
November 27, 2015, 20:27
My first Sig of the five I currently own is a P226 TT purchased in 1991. It has run flawlessly for me with all manner of factory loads and my hand loads.

But one day at my club range I let a pal of mine shoot it with WW white box 115 grain FMJ. He had jam after jam with most of them being stove pipes. So I tried a full 15 round magazine of the load and it shot just fine. I handed the P226 back to my pal and closely observed how he held the pistol. Right away I saw that he was limp wristing it. I told him to use a good tight solid grip and that would clear up the jamming. He insisted that limp wristing wasn't he problem. Some people you just can't do anything with.....

So are you limp wristing the P229?

And so it goes.

The Retired One

Timber Wolf
November 28, 2015, 09:05
Oh man that's not cool. Time to get a new toy. I sleep with mine next to me. I really feel like it's a extension of my hand.

Would that be a 229, or (somebody's) ex-wife?:confused:

Oz308
November 28, 2015, 16:11
Hi All-

Little update on a trip to the range.

Tried several different kinds of ammo, we don't have a stellar variety on the shelves here.

Prior mentioned PPU JHP = stovepipe
Magtech RNFP = stovepipe
American Eagle RNFP = stovepipe

Remington UMC RNFP green/white box = zero malfunctions. Ate it like candy.

On the Magtech and Eagle, a very weird thing popped up. Don't know why I thought of this, but I kept reducing the round count, until the mag only had 6
installed.

Then, they would sort of start functioning. But with a full mag of 12, no way, the first one off the top would stovepipe...and repeated racking the slide, they piped too.

On the Remmie ammo, I could load 12, drop the slide release, it would cleanly strip off the top round and snick home like butter.

This SIG seems to be very sensitive to nose shape of the bullet. Wish I could have tried some of the stuff WEG posted, would like to know if it would feed.
From what I've tried to learn on here, it seems that you want hollows for a defensive round...or am I wrong? Are RNFP acceptable/unacceptable for that purpose? There seems to be lots of talk about over-penetration in gun-writer circles.

Mr. Retired, yep, I kept a firm grip at all times...had learned that the hard way long ago with a 1911, but thanks for the reminder, sometimes we can forget stuff. 40S&W isn't too bad in an all metal pistol, lot less snappy than the plastic ones.

Afterwards, took it to a local shop, had one of the guys strip it down, and he could not find any obvious physical damage to the pistola, or the magazine.
The shop guy thought that maybe the area right below the ramp could use a slight edge break...it seems to catch on the edge of the rim of some of the various rounds. Maybe ammo QC is the problem...the Rem greased right through, the others didn't.

I know SIG is supposed to have a great rep, but like anything made by humans, sometimes faults show up. Maybe it's a Monday or Friday built pistola, I just don't know. I'm not going to slam their company, but this particular unit doesn't want to behave as advertised.

Thanks again to all of you who've posted stuff, it's appreciated.

MontanaGrant
November 30, 2015, 13:40
That's weird, I own a "few" sigs and I can (don't often but I can) shoot flying ashtray loads (super widenose JHPs) and Lead semi-wadcutters.

The only thing I've ever had problems with is some Aguila .40 ammo that the rims were so thick they didn't want to slip under the extractors of both my Sig and Ruger.

fuel fire desire
November 30, 2015, 14:39
I owned and carried a 229 Platinum Elite for a few years. It was quite gaudy (I took it in on a trade) but it was hands down the smoothest cycling pistol....hell firearm, I have ever owned. Its action just felt like silk. The barrel to slide match was simply incredible too. Not any hint of movement when the barrel was resting in place in the slide, even without spring pressure holding it in place. Yet it never ever wanted to bind or stick even when heavily fowled. The reset and break on the SRT was better than many factory 1911's Ive handled. The factory SigLites were very bright too. They'd cast shadows in my car at night.

Granted, this is their pinnacle model from their custom shop (with a $1300 price tag to show for it), but it was simply incredible for a production model gun. It ate everything I put through it too, from garbage steel case to widemouth JHP.

My complaints with it is that it was a snappy pistol, even more snappy than my lighter M&P in .357sig. The other, and the reason I sold it, was that its very wide. It bothered me as an IWB gun (which was its purpose for me). I sold it to fund an equally well put together (and slimmer) 1911 to use as IWB.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p205/fuel_fire_desirels1/firearms/29e46fec5c933b6434dfb198e03a3163_zpse3e01400.jpg

Oz308
December 13, 2015, 19:55
Hi All-

Got to meet with SIG again Saturday. A second mag was provided, owner rolled up with prior PPU hollows.

He said he slightly dressed ramp edge with a bit of emery cloth, that he found out it had some tiny burrs that would cut into his fingernail.

Filled mag #2 with 12 rounds of PPU hollows. It ran like a machine with mag #2. No grief/drama/stovepipes...it just ate 'em up.

We tried PPU ammo in mag #1 again. It surprisingly closed clean on round 1, and after about 3 rounds, jammed again.

Could not see any visible, glaring defects in follower, or edges of mag #1....spring issue??

So...primarily a mag issue, it would seem? But maybe I'm wrong.
Any thoughts/experiences/comments, would be appreciated.

Anyhoo, if his SIG-nificant other grants the green light, may go for it.
.40 in a metal pistola is pretty decent.