PDA

View Full Version : Help; 220 is rusting.

MACV
November 21, 2015, 13:51
I spent a week in the E Ky mountains camping. Sig 220 spent the whole time in a range bag in the back seat of my truck. I never took it out. When I got home and pulled it out the slide was covered in rust. I've never had a gun rust like that other that a AK that got rained on. It does this every time I take it somewhere for more than a day. I've tried CLP, Kroil, Rem oil, nothing helps. Is there anything that will stop this?

Sig220
November 21, 2015, 14:13
If this happens everytime you take it somewhere for more then a day in your range bag...
I would think your range bag is retaining humidity or moisture. You could probably deal with either one if you had ventilation. JMHO and worth everything you paid for it!!

A silicone bag may block it, but once it shows its ugly face it would be hard to block.
Good Luck!

mongoose
November 21, 2015, 15:13
Time for a new range bag and add silicon dioxide packets to the new one. You might also try putting your oiled pistol in a plastic bag first.

MACV
November 21, 2015, 16:42
This is the only (blued) gun I have that rusts. I'm more concerned that there was a problem during Sigs bluing process. What is out there that inhibits rusting metal?

308/223shooter
November 21, 2015, 16:56
Ceracoat or Metalcol.

gordonm1
November 21, 2015, 20:19
I have a P220 West German that had the folded slide rust in my pickup under the seat. I didn't notice it until after a month or two of me wearing boots in the winter and snow and ice on them melted leaving a pool of water at the same elevation as my gun.
I reblued and got a nice finish but I don't put that 220 under the seat anymore. That's one reason I am looking for a better weapon for carry/car duty. I think there are guns with more corrosion resistant finishes than 1990's sig's.
I'm curious about the corrosion resistance of my new 320.

Wildcat
November 22, 2015, 21:23
This is normal in the earlier SIGs. They do that, unfortunately.

I had a P226 when I worked in the tropics and made sure to keep it wiped down regularly.

Mine was blued but the K-Kote SIG offered wasn't much better; a buddy had one like that. The finish simply didn't seem to last very long with daily carry.

I never wondered why SIG went to stainless slides when they released the P229s.

Since I shoot the P226 quite well, when I returned to the States I knew to look for one with plenty of finish wear but that had seen little actual use.

Abominog
November 22, 2015, 23:31
Blast & park.

W.E.G.
November 23, 2015, 00:19
Or like the BP guys, pull the grips, and throw it in a bucket of WD-40 for the trip home.