PDA

View Full Version : My Latest Sets Of Wheels

19&41
November 12, 2015, 21:35
In the last 4 months, I've managed to find both a S&W 64-1 and a Ruger SP101, each in .38spl. I managed to also find decent deals on CT lasergrips for each. I'll Post pics of them shortly.

MAINER
November 13, 2015, 10:00
No pics yet?? :facepalm:

What's up with "wheel guns", they staging a come back? That would explain the shiny M 29 I found in the cabinet along with the depleted checking account. :biggrin:

19&41
November 13, 2015, 10:28
Here is the SP101. I already posted the 64 on Jul 15.

19&41
November 13, 2015, 13:48
I hadn't paid much attention to the SP101 revolver, but after seeing their size and construction, and seeing how much the Smiths were going for, I thought it would be worth a try. Another good thing about the Ruger is the tang style attach point for the grip. It offers a wider variety of styles.

Timber Wolf
November 13, 2015, 17:47
Very, very happy with my .357 SP101 with 3 1/16" barrel. When camping it backs up my S&W 642. SP101 (loaded with Magnums) in pack, 642 in pocket, Speed Strip w/.38 shotshells in hip pocket, speed loader with .38 +P in other front pocket. More .38 +P in pack on speed strips. In other words, all the reload ammo fits either gun.

So sure and impressed I am with the SP101 that I have fired some of my old rip-n-snort 180 grain JHP .357 Magnum handloads I loaded up for 6" Highway Patrolman back in the day. Much muzzle blast.:uhoh:

Fn/form
November 14, 2015, 22:57
What's the cylinder gap on you guys' SP101s? Also, any experience with the 22LR version?

19&41
November 15, 2015, 08:45
My thinnest gauge is .006 inch and it won't pass through the gap. That's for a .38spl.

K. Funk
November 15, 2015, 10:16
I have an SP101 in .22 and love it. Everyone who has seen it has liked it as well.

krf

Impala_Guy
November 16, 2015, 14:49
When Rugers quality is holding up, I think the Redhawk, GP100, and SP101 are the finest DA wheel guns ever made IMHO. I have one of each and am planing on another GP100.

Their DA is much smoother than either a Smith or a Colt and doesn't have a staged feel. The trigger radius is just right, and you can feel the cylinder latch drop in the notch well before trigger pull is compete, allowing for slow precision shooting using the DA trigger. The single action pull is decent and needs nothing. The push button cylinder release is fast and feels like a quality feature. I like the cylinder crane lock a lot better than Smiths ejector rod lock....or Colts single rear cylinder lock. On top of it all, the lock work is modular and easy to remove if needed and uses coil springs.

I have two Colt pythons and I love their workmanship. But the Rugers are just superior engineering. I have a 6" GP100 that I bought new in the early 1990s (my first handgun at the age of 21) that has had a freight car full of shells through it, and if I polished the carbon stains off the front of the cylinder and breechface / frame you would think it was nearly brand new

MasterChief
November 18, 2015, 10:26
Don't leave home without it... :)

http://www.fototime.com/0C6899E9A756BD5/xlarge.jpg

Timber Wolf
November 18, 2015, 19:40
Also, any experience with the 22LR version?

I have one, has the heaviest trigger pull of any gun I own. I guess that is Ruger's way of making it safe.:(:(

Retired Bum
November 18, 2015, 22:44
Every Ruger double action revolver I have handled had heavy and a bit gritty trigger pulls. Just one of the reasons I never bought one for myself. That and the general design. Having to pull the lock works out of the frame just to remove the cylinder really sucks in my book.

OTOH I have owned a bit over 100 assorted S&W's in J, K, L, and N frames and never had a bad trigger pull in DA or SA.

And so it goes.....

The Retired One

TedMckay
November 28, 2015, 00:52
I love my Ruger revolvers . I shoot SAS with my vaquero 44-40's. This sp101 is one of the most accurate DA revolvers I have ever owned .

Wildcat
November 28, 2015, 03:35
Every Ruger double action revolver I have handled had heavy and a bit gritty trigger pulls. Just one of the reasons I never bought one for myself. That and the general design. Having to pull the lock works out of the frame just to remove the cylinder really sucks in my book.

The lockwork in both Ruger and Smith will benefit from polishing the contact surfaces. The Rugers can become pretty smooth but better results overall will come from the Smiths.

One of the main obstacles to getting a really fine double-action trigger in the Ruger is the fact that the firing pin spring is very stout and it can't be removed/replaced without a lot of careful effort and a replacement for the cross pin that holds the firing-pin in the frame. If there is grittyness it can be cured; the weight of DA trigger pull in the Ruger, not so much.

The Ruger does hold up well to heavy use though. The cylinder notches do not tend to peen the way they do in the Smith.

I think I've had my GP-100 long enough that I don't really remember the rough transition in the double-action pull that it had as it came from the factory. The sear surfaces needed to be polished. The rest of the small parts (except the cylinder stop) looked like they had been tumbled for a long time and had a very smooth finish.

I'm not sure how that would compare with a new one today.

19&41
November 28, 2015, 08:31
One other thing will benefit the revolver's action as well as most stainless actions is lubrication with Mobil 1 for the small mechanisms and Super lube for the heavier parts, such as the hammer, cylinder axis and crane pivot.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=Super+Lube