PDA

View Full Version : S&W 1917 ?

croftonaviation
November 09, 2015, 08:13
Well a nice shooter grade 1917 followed me home from the gun show this weekend. The gun was reblued at some point in its life, still has the lanyard ring, locks up nice and came with the original holster. It is an army gun being marked government property & U.S. army. The sn range is 595xx. Would anyone here know the date of manufacture or ship.

Thanks

Tom

Gazz
November 09, 2015, 17:14
The Standard Catalog of S&W Supica/Nahas states that 163,000 were made between Sept. 17 and January 1919. It goes on to state that early revolvers, to 42,000 have a GHS inspectors mark, Middle issue (till April 1918 but no ending serial number given) have a Springfield Armory "flaming bomb". Late issue (April 1918 until end of wartime production) are found with the Eagle's head and a S number. You should be able to get an idea of DOM if it still has the marks.

croftonaviation
November 11, 2015, 07:34
The Standard Catalog of S&W Supica/Nahas states that 163,000 were made between Sept. 17 and January 1919. It goes on to state that early revolvers, to 42,000 have a GHS inspectors mark, Middle issue (till April 1918 but no ending serial number given) have a Springfield Armory "flaming bomb". Late issue (April 1918 until end of wartime production) are found with the Eagle's head and a S number. You should be able to get an idea of DOM if it still has the marks.

Thanks mine has a flaming bomb. Maybe the old warhorse saw some action somewhere.

acpat
November 19, 2015, 21:18
DO NOT SHOOT BALL AMMO in this. It will bulge the barrel if you did not already know. Lots of these pistols were ruined doing the above, Use cast lead

mack7.62
November 19, 2015, 21:38
DO NOT SHOOT BALL AMMO in this. It will bulge the barrel if you did not already know. Lots of these pistols were ruined doing the above, Use cast lead

What????? These were used with regular 1911 ball ammo in military service with no problems.

BUFF
November 20, 2015, 01:43
Standard weight and pressure 230 grain jacketed ball ammo is just fine in these and COLT's 1917's. I got my first one about 1974. A kindly neighbor gave me most of a case of Evansville Arsenal steel case G.I. ammo to shoot out of it. I was a can-rolling son of a gun that summer. I still have three of them I still shoot, a G.I. gun, a commercial one from 1932 with period, custom target stocks, and a Brazilian 1937 return. Smooth shooters.

While later S&W .45 ACP revolvers (1950, 1955 Models, Model 22, Model 25, Model 625) are stronger still, don't exceed standard pressure loads for the 1917's. S&W updated their heat treating and steels for the WWI revolvers to the level of safety demanded by the 1911's ball ammo. Post-war, lots of these guns got their cylinders bulged and topstraps bent by too-hot of handloads, but I have never seen a blown barrel in one.

Their value has greatly appreciated. A non dicked-with sample, with original finish, stocks and lanyard loop, will run $750 and up depending on condition nowdays.

Retired Bum
November 20, 2015, 02:03
Ditto on what BUFF posted about using GI .45 Ball ammo in the Model 1917 revolvers. Don't shoot any of the +P loads available these days and if using hand loads don't exceed standard pressure regardless of bullet type.

I have worked my way through three of the S&W 1917's and one 1937 dated Brazilian contract model. My last 1917 was purchased by me eleven months ago as a Christmas gift to myself. Easily the best looking S&W 1917 I have even seen. All original finish, factory smooth walnut grips, lanyard ring intact, and a perfect bore and chambers. Somebody took very good care of this one. I would rate it at 95 percent condition. Paid $900 plus tax for it. No complaints from me. Especially after checking on S&W '17's on the gun auction sites.

I haven't shot this beauty and I never will. I have a 25-2 and 625-2 for range use. I shoot my hand loaded .45 Auto Rim in these two. I hate fooling around with those pesky full moon clips....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

BUFF
November 20, 2015, 03:06
I have an un-fired, like new, boxed .45 ACP S&W that is, basically, the 1917 fixed up with 1950's lock works, same 5-1/2 barrel and bright blue finish and fixed sights. It was known as the 1950 Military Model, later as the model 22. Mine was shipped the year I was born, 1952. I think that this gun, with the barrel shorted to 4 inches and a new front sight added.

A gem I let away that fit in this family was the Smith & Wesson Model 22-4 1950 Military. This gun was a 1917 with modern lock work, a 4 inch barrel with big fixed sights and the ejector rod shroud on the bottom of the barrel. Nice dark blue finish. Only made about 2005. Mine was a casualty of my divorce. Wish I had it back.

Almost 100 years after the first of the series was manufactured, a big, 6 shot S&W double action revolver with fixed sights firing 6 big .45 ACP pumkin' balls is a very good thing to have.

croftonaviation
November 20, 2015, 08:11
Thanks guys. I am happy to report a great first shooting session with it the other day. I had 100 or so cast loads, and 50 fmj. No hot stuff at all, in fact the cast stuff was loaded down pretty light. The ball ammo was giving me a 4-5" group off hand at 25 yards. Not bad givin the atrocious da trigger pull this thing has. After poking around the internet it seems that is the norm for these revolvers.

I will try to get a few pictures up, it's not anything terribly special but it sure looks good laying next to my garand on the shooting bench.

Tom

Retired Bum
November 20, 2015, 15:12
Ever see a S&W Model 1917 in a movie? The last time I did the movie was "Fury". A WW2 flick about a M4 Sherman tank crew deep inside Germany. The tank commander played by Brad Pitt carried a S&W 1917 fitted with stag grips in a shoulder holster. The '17 was used to kill several German and Waffen SS troops.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

idsubgun
November 20, 2015, 18:08
I wish I had a dollar for every G.I. .45 ball ammo I shot thru dad's S&W, and Colt, 1917's as a kid. I could retire!
I still have the boxes from some of that ball ammo somewhere. Probably collector items now.

nvcdl
November 20, 2015, 22:49
I picked up a 1917 that was chopped down to a 3" barrel this summer in a trade.

Like it so much I picked up a mixmaster 1917 that has a 1950 barrel and cylinder installed in it. Both are a lot of fun to shoot.

acpat
November 21, 2015, 03:13

Like it so much I picked up a mixmaster 1917 that has a 1950 barrel and cylinder installed in it. Both are a lot of fun to shoot.

^^^^^ both fine examples of fixes for bulged barrels^^^^^ your pistol do as you wish. Thousands and thousands of these pistols were rebarreled or shortened to fix bulged barrels. Wonder why they seem to do this ?

Wildcat
November 21, 2015, 15:30
I hate fooling around with those pesky full moon clips....

Moon clips needn't be cumbersome. Many years back, I bought a pack of moon clips from Ranch Prod. I took about 20 of them and used a file one afternoon to pare the tabs, 6 on each clip, down just slightly so that the brass can be loaded into the clips by hand -very easily-. Once in a while, I'll find a brass case with a generous extraction groove that won't stay in the clip, but that's rare and not a big deal since it still extracts properly.

Tat2
November 23, 2015, 12:00
^^^^^ both fine examples of fixes for bulged barrels^^^^^ your pistol do as you wish. Thousands and thousands of these pistols were rebarreled or shortened to fix bulged barrels. Wonder why they seem to do this ?

Just curious.... Is this documented somewhere? It was made to shoot standard pressure GI ball ammo? Maybe people bought them and did stupid things with hot or reloaded ammo? But standard pressure factory?

T

paul fowler
November 25, 2015, 18:00
The last tank I was assigned to when I was in the 1st Cab. was the Battalion Commander's tank, HQ60. The Lt. Colonel carried one of those in a shoulder rig. He was a very good officer to serve under.

Nomad, 2nd
November 26, 2015, 01:00

Try:

"they were shortened from large duty guns for ease of carry when they were cheap surplus."

I always liked "Rosewood" the main "hero" was a WW1 vet with 1911's (not A1's) and a pair of 1917's he stashed (and later used) as a backup.

Always thought it was cool.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood_(film)

Timber Wolf
November 26, 2015, 21:50

I have one like that only 4". Whoever cut it back and mounted the front sight really knew their stuff as the job looks terrific. The action is really, really smooth and I like shooting it with lead boolit reloads. I don't mind the moon clips as I gifted myself one of these (http://bmtequipped.com/products.php) a few years back when I started shooting my S&W 25 in USPSA Revolver class. Pricey, but life is too short to spend time poking cases in and out of moon clips onesy, twosey.:wink: