PDA

View Full Version : AK 47 sometimes fires 2 and even 3 round burst. how do I fix that.

BadKarma1701
November 05, 2015, 22:06
HELP.....I bought the AKM247C in April of 2015. I took it to the range for a break in and fired 150 rounds. I had a few soft primer strikes, However I was using Tula ammo so no big deal.

When holding the trigger back for a reset between cycles of the bolt, sometimes upon reset it would double tap.

I called I.O INC and they said not to do that, It is not a bolt action and it must have a clean crisp pull for each round fired. I call B.S but whatever.
Today I took it out for its second time to the range, After about 60 rounds fired it started to double tap every second to third round fired . It even did a triple tap one time.

I was using Tula ammo and the only upgrade I have done it is put in the wolf plus power spring to lessen the recoil and help with the bolt going forward if you limp wrist the action.

It came from the factory with the Tapco g2 trigger in it and a full auto safety selector, Even though it is only semi auto.

This rifle has less than 300 rounds thru it since I bought it brand new. How do I fix this problem ????

Mine has the full auto safety selector like in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14ETsyHoRwI

Stoned_Oli
November 05, 2015, 22:32
The G2 is normally a good trigger, if it hasn't been messed with too much and the receiver is in spec. I see you said IO though... :eek:
Perhaps you could try it without the receiver cover in place and see if the trigger hooks the hammer properly.

BadKarma1701
November 05, 2015, 22:37
It came from the factory with the Tapco g2 trigger in it and a full auto safety selector, Even though it is only semi auto.

This rifle has less than 300 rounds thru it and brand new. I should have saved for that D.D.I. Milled AK :(

Stoned_Oli
November 05, 2015, 23:15

This rifle has less than 300 rounds thru it and brand new. I should have saved for that D.D.I. Milled AK :(

Does the selector push the disconnector out of the way? My understanding was that a full auto selector would not change the function of the semi auto parts without the naughty bits...

fmj_shooter
November 06, 2015, 01:15
I'm trying to imagine the AK FCG in my head. I fires on the reset?

My guess is that there is a tiny gap during the transition of disconnect rocking away from the hammer and the trigger hooks catching the hammer that its not engaging anything.

Does it only happen if you slowly release to reset? Any one of those parts being out of spec could do it. I don't think its a receiver/pin hole issue. Unless your trigger is a single hook...is it?

Can you duplicate the issue dry firing with no dust cover (to possibly see it happen)?

BadKarma1701
November 06, 2015, 10:09
I tried it with the dust cover off and now it fires every time when trying to slowly let up trigger for reset.

I also found a shall we say sweet spot were the hammer will rock forward and back with out engaging any locking back. Full auto trigger gap. UGH.

I do not know if the trigger is single hook I know it is a tapco G2.

I shoot them and clean them, that's about it. I am Not to good on what is what.

gunplumber
November 06, 2015, 11:07
TAPCO triggers are fundamentally defective. This is exacerbated in receivers with the trigger pin hole too low (NDS-3, and any other US receiver made on the "old" tooling - global, Arsenal TX, Eubanks, Elk River, etc.)

What is too low? The left side trigger hole contacts the bottom bend of the receiver.

People who mash the trigger back, may not experience the inherent hammer follow. Those who pull the trigger just to the point of release and hold it there (as competent shooters do), may experience it.

Fortunately, the solution is simple.

Reduce hammer rear shelf .020". Reduce bottom front of G2 disconnector so there is no more than .005" gap between hammer and disconnector with trigger at rest. The result is that the gap between the trigger claw and the disconnector is 80% of the width of the hammer lobe.

That is all.

gunplumber
November 11, 2015, 10:24
no - do not put away for "emergencies".

hammer follow/doubling is not cool, it is extremely dangerous and can cause your gun to blow up in your face through an OOB ignition.

The fault is always the TACPCO FCG. The fix takes 3 minutes on a mill, or 5 minutes with a Dremel.

Brian in MN
November 12, 2015, 11:02
It is probably the Tapco parts but....

It is really easy to get sloppy with an AK because of the mild recoil. If you fail to hold the rifle in snug to your shoulder you can get some accidental bump firing. Been there, done that.

gunplumber
November 12, 2015, 11:27
Bump firing is a defect caused by insufficient trigger and disconnector engagement with the hammer.

Brian in MN
November 12, 2015, 13:39
If you allow the rifle to move back and forth excessively with recoil and your trigger finger does not move with the rifle, as when you have your elbow firmly planted on a shooting table, you can end up effectively pulling the trigger a second or third time by just holding that trigger finger in the same place.

gunplumber
November 12, 2015, 15:22
Yes, I know how bumpfiring works. But it also requires a small distance between the disconnector and its shelf on the hammer (minimal engagement) and the same on the trigger side. It essentially bounces between the two.

If the disconnector and trigger arm engagement is set to the correct spec, it becomes really difficult, if not impossible to bump.

Now, I took this chick to the range, and she bumpfired a FAL. I didn't supervise her sufficiently, and she was standing muzzle down, with her finger on the trigger. She reloaxed her grip. 10 pound rifle, 8 pound trigger, gun went bang. Bullet hit next to my foot. Recoil bounced the rifle around her finger in the trigger guard, and it fired again. This one narrowly missing my foot.

I also heard a story of a guy who hung his 1911 on a peg. 8 rounds later it was still spinning on the peg.

Brian in MN
November 13, 2015, 09:21
My first experience with bump firing was in the 1980s with a new Hungarian AKM. All factory parts.

As I said in my first post, given there are Tapco internals present they are most likely the problem. But...

HankC
November 13, 2015, 18:18
I would first take the cover off, remove the bolt/carrier and manually cycle the hammer while holding the trigger and see how much engagement and spring tension on the disconnector that holds the hammer back.

Plumber 308
November 17, 2015, 06:25
Listen to Mark, it is not a good thing. Trigger (FCG) is bad or holes in stamped receiver are off. A AK that fires full auto must trip hammer only when bolt has locked in position. It will have a pre-ignition before round has chambered. There are thousands of blueprints on net, get your calipers out and measure.

j3r3my
December 06, 2015, 09:31
I just had an issue with my wasr-10 yesterday. Luckily i was only loading 5 rounds per mag for sighting it in. It randomly "slam" fired 2 rounds so i took it apart and gave it a quick check which came back fine. So i kept shooting. 2 mags later i racked the rifle and boom,boom,boom,boom,boom! All five "slam" fired! I noticed my firing pin was slightly protruding. I immediately packed up and went home. I took the bolt apart and did find a ton of crap in there. Now the firing pin floats in the bolt but im still suspicious of it.. now before i get hit with the maintenance commments. I literally just got the rifle yesterday and the PO said it was good to go. I should have disassembled it but lesson learned

gunplumber
December 07, 2015, 07:41
Slam firing is when it fires because of a fixed or otherwise incorrect firing pin, without hammer action.

Hammer follow is when it is firing because the hammer does not stay back. Neither requires movement of trigger.

bump firing is when minimal movement of the trigger from the gun bouncing in recoil is enough to fire again.

All three are different.

Drtrumpet
December 07, 2015, 22:28
On rifles with floating firing pins it is prudent to check that the pin moves freely before use, especially if you did not disassemble and clean the bolt previously.

.30-06
December 08, 2015, 03:18
I'd send it back to the mfg IMMEDIATELY or have a competent gunsmith fix it. Having a gun that fires FA (intentionally or not) is bad news.