PDA

View Full Version : Garand safety question

NC Rifleman
October 27, 2015, 08:49
Ran across a nice looking H&R M1 at a pawn shop yesterday that was priced right. Only thing that held me back was that when I was checking it over, I noticed the safety is loose/has front to back play when its in the off position. It clicks firmly to the on position and is tight, and pushes off easily enough but then feels loose with about at least an 1/8" back and forth looseness. The M1 I picked up a few weeks back doesn't have this issue. I searched online last night to see what if anything might need a fix, but only found posts regarding the safety being difficult to initiate. I'm new to Garands so this may be a silly non-issue but if somebody can tell me anything about it that would be a great help. Thanks

garandguy10
October 27, 2015, 09:14
The safety issue should be an easy fix, probably assembled incorrectly or the safety spring may be bent/broken.

bubbagump
October 27, 2015, 09:36
The safety issue should be an easy fix, probably assembled incorrectly or the safety spring may be bent/broken.

Yep. ^^^ This.

b.

NC Rifleman
October 28, 2015, 22:34
Brought it home and yep, a piece of the spring in the trigger housing fell out when I disassembled it. Looks like an easy fix. One other thing I noticed is that the spring was black as well as the trigger, bolt, and hammer which also have an SA stamp on them. All other parts have a GI parkerized finish. I was wondering if maybe these were Springfield Inc. parts instead of USGI or maybe just got refinished with a black finish?

George4
October 28, 2015, 23:00
I am in no way a connoiseur of this wonderful rifle. But I can tell you that long ago, and far away when Uncle Sam provided me use of one free, that the many times I disassembled and placed the trigger group in clean boiling water from portable field kerosene submersible heaters.....everything was parked. Never any trace of black paint. Treat her nice and she will never let you down.;)

ArtBanks
October 29, 2015, 07:11
I am in no way a connoiseur of this wonderful rifle. But I can tell you that long ago, and far away when Uncle Sam provided me use of one free, that the many times I disassembled and placed the trigger group in clean boiling water from portable field kerosene submersible heaters.....everything was parked. Never any trace of black paint. Treat her nice and she will never let you down.;)

Did you use clean water for your mess gear, or figure if it was clean enough for an M1, it's clean enough for a gi tract?

bubbagump
October 29, 2015, 07:11
Brought it home and yep, a piece of the spring in the trigger housing fell out when I disassembled it. Looks like an easy fix. One other thing I noticed is that the spring was black as well as the trigger, bolt, and hammer which also have an SA stamp on them. All other parts have a GI parkerized finish. I was wondering if maybe these were Springfield Inc. parts instead of USGI or maybe just got refinished with a black finish?

Probably refinished. One of mine (a Greek repatriate) was completely covered with nasty black paint. Took forever to get that crap off.

b.

NC Rifleman
October 29, 2015, 07:35
Yeah I cleaned the parts with acetone after some powder solvent and the "black" didn't come off as if the parts had been painted. Appears to be the actual metal color like they were black oxided or something. Forgot to mention in my above post that I also found Springfield Inc. Geneseo IL stamped on the chamber end of the barrel that's why I thought maybe they had rebuilt the rifle with some of their parts.

W.E.G.
October 29, 2015, 07:41
If the parts are stamped "SA" they are Springfield.

Many of the Garand rifles in circulation are miscegenated.

Some have even had gender-identity reassignment.
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392555

gunplumber
October 29, 2015, 07:55
If the parts are stamped "SA" they are Springfield.

Many of the Garand rifles in circulation are miscegenated.[/URL]

Yeah because on Normandy Beach, the armorers said "Sorry Sergeant Rock, but I can't allow you to replace your broken Springfield trigger group with a Winchester! it wouldn't match."

TenTea
October 29, 2015, 08:31
H&R receiver with SA Geneseo, IL barrel?

IL is a far piece from MA!

So, one of the rebarreled / refurrbed M1's as marketed and sold through SA, Geneseo?
Might explain the non-parked parts.

bubbagump
October 29, 2015, 09:17
Yeah I cleaned the parts with acetone after some powder solvent and the "black" didn't come off as if the parts had been painted. Appears to be the actual metal color like they were black oxided or something. Forgot to mention in my above post that I also found Springfield Inc. Geneseo IL stamped on the chamber end of the barrel that's why I thought maybe they had rebuilt the rifle with some of their parts.

Hmm well if it say parts from Geneseo then it is obviously a chimera. I will say the black paint on my receiver took a whole lot of beadblasting to clean off. Was worth it though, it's now wearing a really nice park job.

In any case, springs are wear parts on an M1 and I don't think twice about replacing 'em with new manufacture. Nothing good can come from having a weak or broken spring in a weapon.

b.

MAINER
October 29, 2015, 09:28
Garands have been rebuilt so many times they're "like a box of chocolates".
Last year, I pulled a Marlin barrel off my '42 Springfield Blue Sky return. Had not heard of Marlin supplying Garand barrels prior to that.

AliYahu
October 29, 2015, 09:30
Forgot to mention in my above post that I also found Springfield Inc. Geneseo IL stamped on the chamber end of the barrel that's why I thought maybe they had rebuilt the rifle with some of their parts.

SAInc has, in the past, been popular for reconditioning Garsands - including rebarreling, refinishing, etc.

Eli

NC Rifleman
October 29, 2015, 20:30
Yeah I actually called Springfield today to see if they had any info on it. Gave the gal the serial number and after being on hold for about a minute she says they had in their records that a customer sent the rifle in back in '97 for a rebarrel. Stopped in another gun shop near the base today to see if they had any Garand parts and walked out with a complete SA trigger housing ass'y for $30 so all is good now.

randy762ak
November 01, 2015, 21:18
Marlin barrel==Yep I have one of those ,,,. Too bad yours was Blue sky Stamped ...I had am M1 carbine stamped so deep you could see the deformations in the bore ! Curse them --I hope Camel Fleas have eaten those people alive !!

Democrat1
November 03, 2015, 22:07
One other thing I noticed is that the spring was black as well as the trigger, bolt, and hammer which also have an SA stamp on them. All other parts have a GI parkerized finish. I was wondering if maybe these were Springfield Inc. parts instead of USGI or maybe just got refinished with a black finish?

When I see a very dark finish on Garand or Springfield parts, I would first suspect that the parts spent some time in Greece. The Parkerizing they did was the blackest I have seen. The other thing I saw a lot of on the stuff they sent back was a thick coating of what looked like wheel bearing grease on some rifles. My 1903A1 stock weeps grease every warm sunny day.

SteelonSteel
November 06, 2015, 17:13
While I generally detest agreeing with a Democrat, I think this sounds right.

The greek return M1's had a fair number of rifles reparked a really black manganese park color. I got one of their M1903 rifles that had the black park. It's park not paint on mine but it does scratch easily.

I'm not sure if I currently have an M1 with the black park. I did but I think I got badgered into selling it.

bubbagump
November 06, 2015, 19:04
While I generally detest agreeing with a Democrat, I think this sounds right.

The greek return M1's had a fair number of rifles reparked a really black manganese park color. I got one of their M1903 rifles that had the black park. It's park not paint on mine but it does scratch easily.

I'm not sure if I currently have an M1 with the black park. I did but I think I got badgered into selling it.

Paint or park, it was nasty and came off in chunks. But not without jacking up the air pressure on the beadblast cabinet to the max my compressor could manage.

b.