PDA

View Full Version : Gloak spare parts kit

Jimbeaux82
October 01, 2015, 03:38
I would like to set up a repair parts kit of most likely parts to fail (I know, I know , Glocks don't fail). Any suggestions for springs, ejectors , etc?

I have 2 G19's and one G22

Jimbeaux82
October 01, 2015, 03:38
I would like to set up a repair parts kit of most likely parts to fail (I know, I know , Glocks don't fail). Any suggestions for springs, ejectors , etc?

I have 2 G19's and one G22

kotengu
October 01, 2015, 06:26
In 8,000 rounds I've had to replace the following parts on my G30:

Return spring assembly
Mag catch
Locking block

W.E.G.
October 01, 2015, 07:13
I went through this myself.

Realized I would never have time to repair the Glock if it failed in a gunfight.

Realized I own more than one Glock.

Calculated that I have more Glocks in the safe, than I have gunfights in me.

Quit worrying about it after that.

base704
October 01, 2015, 07:20

Realized I would never have time to repair the Glock if it failed in a gunfight.

I don't quite understand your reasoning there, but to each his own...:confused:

How 'bout this? (http://preparedgunowners.com/2015/09/01/the-ultimate-guide-to-glock-preventative-maintenance-and-scheduled-parts-replacements/)

W.E.G.
October 01, 2015, 07:31
Yeah.

Get back to us after you've burned $5000 worth of ammo through it.

Will be interested to know which parts failed.

brunop
October 01, 2015, 09:09
For $40 for all the parts, this seems like a good use of money. It's less than 10% of the price of the gun to have every point of failure in the parts drawer.

kotengu
October 01, 2015, 09:26
In 8,000 rounds I've had to replace the following parts on my G30:

Return spring assembly
Mag catch
Locking block

I just realized "had to" might have been a bit strong. The locking block I found broken in half during a detail strip and clean. The gun functioned fine, even with it broken. The mag catch looked worn, so I replaced it - it never actually failed. The return spring assembly I replaced because I was having failure to return to battery issues sporadically - but that maybe specific to the G30 subcompact big bore design. I hear the 9mm Glocks are much less sensitive to this and much more reliable, but I won't be caught dead holding a prissy little 9mm ;-)

I wish all guns were as accurate and reliable as my Glock. It's ugly, but the old girl just works!

nyalaman
October 01, 2015, 09:33

The best spare parts kit is a spare weapon.

SAFN49
October 01, 2015, 09:59
I have had 8 Glocks, but I am down to 4 now. The only part I have ever replaced is the recoil spring guide rod on an early G17 with a captured guide rod. Makes it easier to take down and reassemble.

W.E.G.
October 01, 2015, 10:10
The only realistic point of failure in a gunfight is shooting second.

tac-40
October 01, 2015, 14:52
Having had an issue G21 for 20+ years and being one of the Departments armorers for 15+, here is a list of things that routinely go bad and need replaced.

Springs- mostly mag springs since they are kept fully loaded all of the time. Usually last about 5 years before showing signs of weakness. Recoil springs last about 5 years with frequent use at the range (500 rounds per year). Trigger springs - often damaged when taking down the pistol for some serious cleaning. Striker (firing pin) spring is about the same as the recoil springs.

Slide stop lever - installed spring easily damaged during reassembly.

Sights - the plastic ones work loose and fall off in about 2 years. The tritium sights last about 10 years before the glow gets too dim.

Firing pin safety spring- easy to lose when taking the slide apart.

Channel liner and spring cups - easily damaged during slide take down and reassembly. Plus, I have seen them start to break down when strong solvents and non-gun oil used for cleaning and lubrication.

Extractor- If it is going to break, it will in the first 1000 rounds. If not then it will last a really long time.

The plastic locking block pin and trigger housing pins get worn with takedown and cleaning

Most of the time the pistol will continue to work with these item going or gone bad. You will normally find out about their failure when you take the pistols apart for deep cleaning.

Skilter
October 01, 2015, 14:57

Damn... I think I have ditto quoted you 3 times today... Guess I am getting old and need to log in more. :)

W.E.G.
October 01, 2015, 16:10
The best "spare part" I've found for Glocks is the "dual illumination" sights that use tritium AND fiber optic. Really bright under day and night conditions. The only thing the haters have found to bitch about with them is they don't glow so bright when backlit with bright light.

http://www.amazon.com/Truglo-Tritium-Fiber-Optic-Sights/dp/B00C3LEY92

Pic is not enhanced.
This is what the sights REALLY look like in daylight.

http://www.christiangunowner.com/images/tfosights.jpg

nyalaman
October 01, 2015, 16:15
^^^^^^ second that. they work great.

W.E.G.
October 01, 2015, 16:39
Note too, that these gee-whiz sights are not available for many pistols.
For instance, none available for Beretta (even the very newest models).

Glock just happens to be one of the lucky ones.

Fn/form
October 03, 2015, 13:01
Having had an issue G21 for 20+ years and being one of the Departments armorers for 15+, here is a list of things that routinely go bad and need replaced.

Listen to Tac-40.

My kits are mainly RSAs, extractors and every spring from mag release to extractor spring+bearing. Given wide availability, relatively low cost and drop-in compatibility, no reason not to. Sure can't say that about many other pistols.

I like the Vickers accessories and Apex extractors. Right now I have only 9mms and I don't really plan to change that, so it really simplifies a lot of things.

rowjimmy
October 04, 2015, 06:55
They recommend replacing the recoil spring at 5k.

My trigger spring broke around 7k or so and the trigger would not reset. It wasn't something you would fix in a gunfight but you could still reset it manually IIRC, making it like a single shot.

The Truglo TFO sights WEG mentions are what I use on my Glocks.