PDA

View Full Version : question for the Garand guys

NC Rifleman
September 28, 2015, 08:20
I picked up a .308 Garand this weekend didn't really need it but it looked good. It was built using one of the Italian conversion kits that has the 1/2 inch shorter parts. Guy said he was having some issues with it ejecting brass like the bolt was short stroking. I took it apart to take a look and noticed it has a full length op rod spring. I'm wondering if there is a specific shorter spring I should use or just clip some coils off this one? Or is there something else I should be looking at? Thanks

gunplumber
September 28, 2015, 08:55
To the best of my knowledge, no.

There were a couple different conversions, but I believe that one they chopped it at the back end of the barrel, and shortened everthing forward of the receiver by same amount. Should be a standard .30-06 spring, although sometimes a slightly larger gas port.

NC Rifleman
September 28, 2015, 09:05
OK thanks. This one has the shortened parts. I'll check the gas port, any idea on what size it needs to be for .308 compared to 30-06?

tdb59
September 28, 2015, 11:06
Does the bolt locks back after the last round is fired?

Is feeding consistent ?

Some " gunsmiths " ( :hammering: ) shorten the ejector spring to alter the throw of the brass. This can cause intermittent ejection, and also loss of the extractor due to insufficient spring tension.

NC Rifleman
September 28, 2015, 11:46
Need to find my gauges to check the headspace before I fire it. Just going off what the seller told me about it.

Seaweed
September 28, 2015, 15:08
I would suspect an out-of-spec button on the end of your op rod or worn out gas cylinder. Do you have another gas cylinder you can try?

NC Rifleman
September 28, 2015, 18:09
Nope no other Garand parts to swap out with

tdb59
September 28, 2015, 19:20
I would suspect an out-of-spec button on the end of your op rod or worn out gas cylinder. Do you have another gas cylinder you can try?

I have yet to see a gas cylinder / op rod set so far gone that the rifle would short stroke.

That is including the abominable shit brought in by Fed Ord and Blue Sky, with takedown tabs so far gone that the op rod would jump out of the track.

ETA: An undertimed barrel will bind the op rod enough to cause short stroking.

Frenchkat
September 29, 2015, 09:11
I did a quick check on Tim Shufflin's "Battle Tested" forum. Didn't find an answer.

Lot of smart BM59/Type 2 Garand guys over there.

I'm away from my resources at the moment so I can't take any measurements.

I've built both a BM59E and a couple of Type 2s, one using the basic E kit and the other using a Sarco .308 kit (Italian parts). The .308 parts were identical on both kits.

As stated earlier, the barrel, op-rod and stock were 1/2" shorter. That included the op-rod spring.

I didn't measure the length of the E kit spring and used a cut down M1 spring one one of the builds. I just cut the long one to match the short one, about 1/2".

The "Garand Guy" also does BM59s and might know the exact spring length.

NC Rifleman
September 29, 2015, 16:05
Thanks for the info. If you find out something on the correct spring length or gas port diameter please let me know. I had just thought with the other parts being shorter the spring should be too, but I don't claim to be an expert there.

AliYahu
September 29, 2015, 23:48
My BM59E (T2 Garand with detachable magazine) spring is shorter than a standard Garand spring, I think the T2 springs are likewise shorter. It's only about 1/2" so it usually isn't enough to create an issue.
Check the gas port size, many of the Sarco 7.62 T2 conversion kits had unissued barrels with undersized gas ports.

Eli

bubbagump
October 03, 2015, 05:41
Does the bolt locks back after the last round is fired?

Is feeding consistent ?

Some " gunsmiths " ( :hammering: ) shorten the ejector spring to alter the throw of the brass. This can cause intermittent ejection, and also loss of the extractor due to insufficient spring tension.

^^^^ Oh yeah, the old 'cut the ejector spring' thing. Idiots cut this spring to stop .308 conversions from throwing the brass straight up or in your face. It works by causing the bolt to come apart in the field. The downside is the gun won't throw brass anywhere once this happens.

As to the op rod spring the weight (tension, if you will) is designed to carry the dynamic load of the gas system and it needs to be strong enough to strip and chamber a round on the backstroke. Because this is a dynamic, not a static load it's not going to change. I would definitely leave it alone.

Frenchkat
October 04, 2015, 09:50
Update from the Frenchkat.

I had my Type 2 out the other day and pulled the op-rod spring.

Measured right at 19".

Hope that helps.

NC Rifleman
October 05, 2015, 09:18
Thanks I'll check mine.