PDA

View Full Version : Advice on cutting and choking barrels?

Blue Monster
September 27, 2015, 12:00
I have this nice old 870 20ga. LW Wingmaster barrel, but it's 28".

I would love to have it cut to 21" (ish TBD) inches, add a new sight and have it cut for Remington chokes. But being a LW, it may be too thin for chokes?

Done some interweb looking but I'd love to here if anyone has advice on the subject. Or anyone that cuts them... and likes wood... :D

Or anyone got a swap, it's a nice old clean blued barrel from the 70's?

Thanks in advance!

tdb59
September 27, 2015, 12:04
I have this nice old 870 20ga. LW Wingmaster barrel, but it's 28".

I would love to have it cut to 21" (ish TBD) inches, add a new sight and have it cut for Remington chokes. But being a LW, it may be too thin for chokes?

Done some interweb looking but I'd love to here if anyone has advice on the subject. Or anyone that cuts them... and likes wood... :D

Or anyone got a swap, it's a nice old clean blued barrel from the 70's?

Thanks in advance!

It may take Tru-Chokes. Definitely too thin for Rem-Chokes.

Concentricity of the walls is the other critical factor.

If you find a barrel with factory Rem-Chokes, cutting it back and rethreading is not an issue.

Yes, I can do this.

Yes, I like your wood........work.

Blue Monster
September 27, 2015, 12:32
Well hell, that was easy!
So can you cut this LW barrel and give it a Imp or Mod permanent choke instead?

tdb59
September 27, 2015, 12:57
If it dimensionally will accept Tru-Chokes, it is not necessary, but one tube can be installed permanently with HiForce 44 solder.

If there is insufficient material in the barrel wall the stress point is at the base of the thread / tube skirt, and eventually the barrel will fracture at that point.

Fixed choke barrels are manufactured by swaging the barrel, or by reaming from the breech end.

Back boring a barrel can create some choke, but the effect is marginal.

Blue Monster
September 27, 2015, 13:19
Ah, OK that makes sense.

Sounds like I'd be better off to trade it for a youth 21" barrel with the factory remchoke or something along those lines.

gunplumber
September 27, 2015, 13:44
I really like the 21" as a cross-over between home defense and sport.

I picked up a spare 26"? barrel to chop for an AOW. But there is no good birdshead grip for the LW 20 as there is for the 12. There really is a dearth of parts for the 20, which I find odd. The only thing a shotgun is good for it hunting little birdies and close range home defense (even that is dubious). But within the context of home defense, a 20g at 25 feet is plenty lethal, and much easier for women and children to handle than a 12.

Since I have a pair of Beretta 20g O/Us for "sport" I figure I should start chopping all my 21" youth SGs to 18". The rib means that exactly 18" won't work, but the SGT/Wilson sights can be easily altered to the 20g barrel profile - and those blend nicely with the rib.

Blue Monster
September 27, 2015, 14:15
There really is a dearth of parts for the 20, which I find odd.

Agreed!

Hey someone else loves 20 ga. and you think 21 is the best general length (with chokes) eh? My pals always pick on my little shotguns, but they need the workout and should carry those boat anchors.
For almost any application, I find a 20 ga. to be a better gun, they just handle so much better and feel thin and light natural swingers. But finding stuff for 870 sucks... LW Special upland stock.. :love: should just make one, dam long skinny holes!

Grouse don't need 12 ga. and you aint in no blind, watching your phone, you want to be as light as possible, 'cause your gonna walk 12 miles through brush :p

My 870 spends most of the year racked by the door of my shop with the long mag and a 18.5" barrel, then this time of year I use it for hunting. A Pal tossed me the LW barrel last year. Using it now but crap it feels long, shouldn't have given my brother my Franchi O/Ul. Freakin Southpaw.

tdb59
September 27, 2015, 14:34
I really like the 21" as a cross-over between home defense and sport.

I picked up a spare 26"? barrel to chop for an AOW. But there is no good birdshead grip for the LW 20 as there is for the 12.

The earlier 20 gauge 870s were built on 12 gauge frames. Easy to identify the earlier barrels, as the ring is full size.

Since I have a pair of Beretta 20g O/Us for "sport" I figure I should start chopping all my 21" youth SGs to 18". The rib means that exactly 18" won't work, but the SGT/Wilson sights can be easily altered to the 20g barrel profile - and those blend nicely with the rib.

If a person is used to a front bead only ( most of my shotgun customers ) I install a brass bead on shortened/threaded defense barrels as well. One less thing for the subconscious to sort out when adrenaline is up.

SAFN49
September 27, 2015, 20:13
Remington used to make a 870 LW Special Field in 20ga with a 21" bbl.

They also made Special Field 1100 and 11-87's. Very handy. I used to have, and hunt doves with a 11-87 SF.

Try to find a bbl for a 870 20ga SF. They take Rem chokes.

Blue Monster
September 27, 2015, 22:02
Remington used to make a 870 LW Special Field in 20ga with a 21" bbl.

Yaa man, with the upland English stocks, I want one.

shortround
September 28, 2015, 00:49
http://roseactionsports.com/Shotgun_Services.html

Unless you want to do it yourself.