PDA

View Full Version : Enfield question

RG Coburn
September 19, 2015, 14:09
A local shop has a no1 MkIII Enfield,and I'm trying to determine its manufacture.
It has what I thought was GBI on the wrist,with 1949. The front sight protector "ears" are squared,not rounded. Looking up I see there was a GRI enfield made in India. Does this sound like one of those? Overall,it looks in pretty decent shape.

douglas
September 19, 2015, 15:07
Square ears on the front sight protector is a clear sign of made in India. India made a bunch of them during WWII and they were just as good as the British manufacturers. British run plants using British equipment under British supervision making rifles for God and Queen. It wasn't until later under Indian rule that some of the quality dropped off. If it looks good it probably is. Is the rifle in .303 or .308? A bunch of Indian .308 rifles were imported a few years back.

Artful
September 19, 2015, 15:42
easy way to tell caliber is look at the magazine

.303 mag on left - 308 on right
http://www.public.asu.edu/~roblewis/SMLE/magazineid.jpg
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac186/38cal/011908-guns003.jpg (http://s898.photobucket.com/user/38cal/media/011908-guns003.jpg.html)

or Bottom one is 308 rest 303
http://www.guns.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/smles.jpg

yellowhand
September 19, 2015, 16:20
Sounds Indian, as said, check the magazine box, easy way to spot them.

You looking for a Mk1#3?

Shop out this way got a few in from an estate sale, still had a couple last time I was in.

I picked up one, near mint, shop said, wife had mentioned late husband got them from Sears and Roebucks covered in cosmoline.
The good old days!

Pricey but real nice.:)

RG Coburn
September 20, 2015, 20:24
Its definitely a .303
Were it a .308,I'd have already bought it. Been wanting one of those for a while.
He's got $189. on it,and its probably worth it,but I'm kinda trying to ditch old obsolete calibers.
But it is pretty nice.dammit...

VALMET
September 20, 2015, 20:43
$189 ain't bad for one of those these days. I hate it when I want to "take my collection" in a particular direction then out of the blue something pops up and alters that course.

yellowhand
September 20, 2015, 21:05
Its definitely a .303
Were it a .308,I'd have already bought it. Been wanting one of those for a while.
He's got $189. on it,and its probably worth it,but I'm kinda trying to ditch old obsolete calibers.

A complete nice Mk1 for that price is a steal these days.
I picked up several of the cases of 303 in the " banded suitcases" years ago, so ammo not an issue.
Don't kick yourself later for passing on a fine old rifle.

Gazz
September 21, 2015, 06:51
Cut up "sporters" are selling for that much. I have an Ishapore Mk1NoIII made in 1927 but without rooting through the pile, I believe it is identical to a British made one as far as the sight ears are concerned. I think the squared ones are for the No2 rifles in 7.62x51.

RG Coburn
September 21, 2015, 19:48
I've got buckets of .303 ammo,but like I said,I'd like to pair things down to just a few calibers. 7.62x54r,'06, and 7.62x51. Oh,and 7.62x39. Never got into the current 5.45 craze. Just couldn't justify.

raubvogel
September 23, 2015, 06:20
If this rifle was near me i would buy it. Remember you can always sell it later

Story
September 25, 2015, 13:34
Cut up "sporters" are selling for that much. I have an Ishapore Mk1NoIII made in 1927 but without rooting through the pile, I believe it is identical to a British made one as far as the sight ears are concerned.

This is true - Ishapore started making the Mk I under British supervision before WWI and they're identical to UK and Australian manufactured rifles. Commonwealth units could have a mix of manufacturers, as I understand it.

Somewhere I have an Indian Army shooting exercise/game for use with the SMLE, published around 1925-30. The Indian Army realized that their troops' rifle skills had gone to hell in a handbasket during WWI when they had to deploy to the Northwest Frontier and go chase proto-Taliban tribesmen.

Fun fact with pre-WWII Ishapores; when you disassemble them, look for traces of green-khaki-vomit colored paint under the woodlines. That's how the Commonwealth did anti-rust treatment for CBI/Pacific use.

SWOHFAL
September 26, 2015, 15:00
I've got buckets of .303 ammo,but like I said,I'd like to pair things down to just a few calibers. 7.62x54r,'06, and 7.62x51. Oh,and 7.62x39. Never got into the current 5.45 craze. Just couldn't justify.

You can't lose for under $200.

douglas
September 27, 2015, 10:16
What SWOHFAL said, under $200, it would be put in the safe with it's other Enfield breathrens. They like to tell war stories when no one is around! I can just hear the Aussie asking ..Hey Mate..so how did you get them square ears again?

raubvogel
September 28, 2015, 07:35
Somewhere I have an Indian Army shooting exercise/game for use with the SMLE, published around 1925-30. The Indian Army realized that their troops' rifle skills had gone to hell in a handbasket during WWI when they had to deploy to the Northwest Frontier and go chase proto-Taliban tribesmen.

If you can find it, I would love a copy. :bow:

RG Coburn
September 28, 2015, 20:31
Went up there today...it's still there.And a couple guns down..a Marlin 336 in .35 remmie...one of my favs...at $289. Damn...it.....
He had a ishapore .308 there a while back...at $189...and I am still biting my tongue for not pouncing on it.

ByrnieMac
October 02, 2015, 12:20
Its definitely a .303

In Afghanistan back in 2011, we had a sniper that kept getting our boys. Injured a few, killed a few. Long story goes into it, but when a UAV finally got him with a hellfire, he was found with nothing other than an Enfield in .303, ...and a head that looked like a stomped pumpkin.

.303 certainly isn't the easiest caliber to find all the time, but it can sure do the job good as ever. Certainly not a useless caliber by any means.

SWOHFAL
October 04, 2015, 01:40
In Afghanistan back in 2011, we had a sniper that kept getting our boys. Injured a few, killed a few. Long story goes into it, but when a UAV finally got him with a hellfire, he was found with nothing other than an Enfield in .303, ...and a head that looked like a stomped pumpkin.

.303 certainly isn't the easiest caliber to find all the time, but it can sure do the job good as ever. Certainly not a useless caliber by any means.

Canadians still issue them to their Arctic troops for dealing with polar bears, since no semi is as reliable when it gets reaaaally cold. Danes issue theirs Glock 20s and M1917 Enfields.