PDA

View Full Version : ? on older USP 9

Mark IV
September 11, 2015, 12:16
I have a USP 9 made in 1994, also have a newer one.

On the old one I notice that when the hammer is in the lowered position, I can push it forward a little, has kind of a spongy feel to it. Also, when the safety is engaged, there's no play at all in the trigger.

The pistol performs flawlessly and is fantastically accurate, it's just weird because my newer USP 9 doesn't do these things.

Any of you guys have a similar pistol with similar traits?

seasmoke
September 11, 2015, 14:36
On my KD code V1 config, there is similar movement when the hammer is at rest. Not sure what you mean in your second question. With the safety engaged, and trigger pulled, the hammer should draw back..but not set.
Loves my 'ol Katie'.

Mark IV
September 11, 2015, 15:18
On my new USPs, even with the safety on, there's still just a little rearward creep on the trigger before the safety stops trigger movement; on the older one, there is no rearward movement at all.

Casqui1541
September 11, 2015, 22:12
On my KF-coded ('96 IIRC) variant 1. Hammer in forward position is as you describe on yours. Like seasmoke described, with my safety engaged my trigger will travel some when pressed and hammer will come back some before being stopped by safety. Interesting that your trigger will not move at all with your safety engaged.

Casqui1541
September 11, 2015, 22:18
Didn't HK do some trigger redesign after the earliest USP's were released? Seems like I read that they "improved" the trigger somehow early in the production of the USP's. This was then incorporated into the design. Perhaps your earlier one's hammer not moving reflects the earlier trigger design.

Mark IV
September 14, 2015, 05:31
Didn't HK do some trigger redesign after the earliest USP's were released? Seems like I read that they "improved" the trigger somehow early in the production of the USP's. This was then incorporated into the design. Perhaps your earlier one's hammer not moving reflects the earlier trigger design.

Could be. My concern was that, because my other HKs didn't do this, that there might be something wrong with the pistol. I carry this thing at my hospital security job and the last thing I want to hear when I pull the trigger is "click."

Casqui1541
September 14, 2015, 21:49
Have you done a close visual inspection of both frames/fire control groups with the slides off? Side by side with slides off comparison to see if there is any noticeable difference in how they work when replicating the scenario may be indicated if you've not already done that.

Mark IV
September 15, 2015, 12:11
Have you done a close visual inspection of both frames/fire control groups with the slides off? Side by side with slides off comparison to see if there is any noticeable difference in how they work when replicating the scenario may be indicated if you've not already done that.

No, I haven't but that sounds like good advice. Thanks.

partisan50
September 15, 2015, 19:25

Thank God. I bought a USP 40 back in like 1992 and the trigger sucked, very clicky clacky especially when the trigger was released after firing. I sold it around ten years ago.