PDA

View Full Version : VZ2008 Bent Piston Stuck

Bubacus
September 10, 2015, 21:28
Well got my VZ2008 finally. No issues with the sights being canted, safety worked fine, and finish was nice. All was well until the first few rounds were cycled. The piston was sticking out of it's hole in the receiver kind of funny and jams quickly followed. I popped the gas tube cover and got a little sea sick after seeing how bent the piston was bent. Picked up a new gas rod and spring. I'm running into some trouble freeing up the rod now and getting it to move forward to pull it out. Here is a picture. I laid the new one on top of the old piston for reference. used a punch to push it forward but it didn't really budge forward much. I also lubed it up with WD 40 for good measure. Any tips on getting it out would be appreciated. I'm close to just cutting the piston in two at this point as it's pretty trashed:

http://i60.tinypic.com/2qxxfz5.jpg

paulb2112
September 10, 2015, 22:07
I would cut it myself.

Texgunner
September 10, 2015, 23:35
Hand full of cut-off discs in a motor-tool. No need to save it I'd say.

Bubacus
September 11, 2015, 21:05
1.5 cutting wheels later and all is revealed...that spring wasn't helping the situation. The OEM spring that I picked up was much longer and beefier than what Century put in.

http://i62.tinypic.com/260g1w1.jpg

Sagerider
September 12, 2015, 08:07
WOW! That is messed up. The next issue is to find out the why of it.

Bubacus
September 12, 2015, 08:24
Indeed...I think that the spring had something to do with it. Some of the damage at the rear end of the piston was the result of trying to bend it a bit to get it out of the rifle.

raubvogel
September 14, 2015, 14:05
Another classic product handcrafted with love and bananas by the CAI monkeys?

rbgonoles
September 14, 2015, 15:33
FWIW - CAI doesn't build them.

MilsurpMonkey
September 15, 2015, 15:43
The problem is that century uses improperly heat treated pistons. Get a surplus one or one from CNC Warrior/bonesteel arms. Anyone else is a crap shoot on the treating.

Bubacus
September 15, 2015, 18:35
The piston I picked up was surplus from APEX. Lets see how this runs this Friday and I'll see if I am still having problmes. If I did replace the piston with one suggested above, is their an "improved" spring out there I should be looking for?

MilsurpMonkey
September 16, 2015, 09:48
The surplus stuff, like from apex, is going to be your best bet. I think zahal out of Israel sells parts when they get them. Czechpoint used to sell some decent surplus and us parts but they were the seconds set aside from their factory builds (usually just cosmetic flaws)

HankC
September 17, 2015, 20:40
So VZ can remove gas tube with piston still in place? Can't see how it works!

MilsurpMonkey
September 18, 2015, 08:11
No gas tube. Just a short stroke piston design.

Trypcil
September 22, 2015, 18:36
My piston bent also, bought an original off eBay, as I recall! 5k later and she still runs like a champ, even without the tabbing done!

P.I. Staker
September 26, 2015, 22:57
Haven't fired mine yet, sounds like a good idea to get one fro Apex beforehand.

Bubacus
October 16, 2015, 14:42
Just to let folks know...shot it today and it ran like a sewing machine with the new piston and spring. Not a jam with multiple mfg's of steel cased ammo. Several mags and smiles later, I've decided it moved up in the ranks of my favorite rifles.

Trypcil
October 16, 2015, 15:05
Have you checked out the VZ58 forum here -
http://www.czfirearms.us/index.php?board=67.0

In the stickies there's an inexpensive 'tabbing service' - which sorts the trigger 'gremlin' out. Pertains I believe to certain Serial #'s - and shows up around 800plus rounds. Mine hasn't failed yet - late s/no. 10k plus.
. Some receivers show an odd rail wear, a divot where the 'bolt locking piece' hits the rails and peens them - possible poor heat treating of receiver!!!!! But many exhibit the divot'ing and continue working just fine for most needs! Anyway lots of info there - enjoy!:fal:

Bubacus
October 16, 2015, 17:11
Thanks for the link....I learned about the "Gremlin" here:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/oArqQoDuWMY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>