PDA

View Full Version : Help ID'ing an Argentine FAL?

MangoChutney
September 09, 2015, 09:08
I bought this gun about a year ago then kind of just forgot it in my safe. I know it's an Argentine FAL but I really don't know much about it other than that. I'm not familiar with FAL's at all since I mostly shoot AR's and AK's so this is, pardon the pun, foreign to me.

Here's a couple pics and what's stamped on the side:
http://i.imgur.com/ytor5rcl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3IWb0jLl.jpg

On the ejection port side it has
FMAP. "DM" - ROSARIO
INDUSTRIA ARGENTINA
00375 (on the lower receiver in front of where the stock connects)

On the charging handle side is has
ARMS - FN - FAL (this is stamped on the railed dust cover portion)
F.S.L. cal 7.62 X 51mm (L.S.R 308 WIN)

Underside of the barrel has
National Arms 00375 Billierica, MA

The two mags that I got with it are identical, no markings at all except this little two character stamp on the lower part of the sides. Looks like a sideways "K" and a "n". Sort of looks like the characters on a Predators computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can take pics and answer any questions if it'd help more. Thanks in advance.

RPBII
September 09, 2015, 11:39
You have a nice pre-ban Argentine FAL that National Arms is the importer. The top cover is an aftermarket replacement to use an optic and is good stuff. The mags are probably Israeli by the description of the markings. This link here
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277160 should help you learn some about the Argy rifles. If you have specific questions, post them and someone will help you out. If you post questions in the FN section you'll get better exposure.

MangoChutney
September 09, 2015, 12:12
You have a nice pre-ban Argentine FAL that National Arms is the importer. The top cover is an aftermarket replacement to use an optic and is good stuff. The mags are probably Israeli by the description of the markings. This link here
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277160 should help you learn some about the Argy rifles. If you have specific questions, post them and someone will help you out. If you post questions in the FN section you'll get better exposure.

Awesome, thanks for the link. Reading that thread now; will probably post in the FN section later today. I'm most likely going to sell the gun since I really have no need for two 308 battle rifles.

Eyeguy
September 09, 2015, 13:53
Awesome, thanks for the link. Reading that thread now; will probably post in the FN section later today. I'm most likely going to sell the gun since I really have no need for two 308 battle rifles.

Nobody needs more than one 308 battle rifle but......

I've got nine and I'm a relative new guy to the FAL. Like many here I've found them to be addictive.

Nice rifle. You shouldn't have any problems selling this one at a fair price.

MangoChutney
September 09, 2015, 14:01
Nobody needs more than one 308 battle rifle but......

I've got nine and I'm a relative new guy to the FAL. Like many here I've found them to be addictive.

Nice rifle. You shouldn't have any problems selling this one at a fair price.

Haha I have an EBR and that's really my main gun, plus I have a 700 in 308. I try to keep my collection minimal otherwise I'd have triples or more of everything.

Would you happen to know what a fair asking price would be? I saw a kit built Argentine FAL with mismatched numbers and no mags listed for $1,450 but I'm not sure if that's a number to go off of.

J. Armstrong
September 09, 2015, 14:18
The Nat Ord FMAPs are very desirable rifles. They are some of the earliest Argentine imports, and generally are better finished than some of the later ones. As a class the FMAPs are excellent rifles, and in many ways superior to the Belgian commercial imports. Unfortunately, they continue to be undervalued in an already soft market.

Sell the ARs and AKs and keep the FMAP, it's a REAL rifle :)

MangoChutney
September 09, 2015, 14:22
The Nat Ord FMAPs are very desirable rifles. They are some of the earliest Argentine imports, and generally are better finished than some of the later ones. As a class the FMAPs are excellent rifles, and in many ways superior to the Belgian commercial imports. Unfortunately, they continue to be undervalued in an already soft market.

Sell the ARs and AKs and keep the FMAP, it's a REAL rifle :)

It really is a tough call, especially since I'm half Argentinean. But my AK's and AR's are just less expensive and the FAL is the least used one. If I get a good price for it I'd sell it but, if not, then I'd consider keeping it.

Eyeguy
September 09, 2015, 16:41
Haha I have an EBR and that's really my main gun, plus I have a 700 in 308. I try to keep my collection minimal otherwise I'd have triples or more of everything.

Would you happen to know what a fair asking price would be? I saw a kit built Argentine FAL with mismatched numbers and no mags listed for $1,450 but I'm not sure if that's a number to go off of.

As for fair price I'll defer to the far more knowledgable here.

Might be interested if it comes up for sale.

GDavis
September 23, 2015, 16:18
I'd keep it as an investment. They're not importing (or making) any more of them. The kit guns will always be a kit gun no matter how nicely made or how well done. The fact that is factory (except the top cover (which isn't a serial numbered part)) will always make it desirable.

So even if you don't shoot it, keep it in the safe (and keep everything that you have that came with it). You WILL be glad you did in 10 to 15 years!