PDA

View Full Version : The famouse Glock go BOOM

Libertyteeth
September 08, 2015, 21:37
So I want to start off by saying I am a Glock fan and I understand why this happened and it would have happened even if this had been a 1911. No, Glocks are not perfect... this is not my attempt to start a Glock flame war... This is just to educate people and share my experience. This is What happened to my wife and I, so it is not a story I heard...

Yesterday The Wife and I went shooting. I had just gotten a Glock 21 Gen 1 in a trade and we were trying it out along with our 1911 pistols and shooting the AK and AR rifles. Well I ran two magazines through the Glock 21 and it ran flawlessly (26 rounds). I then handed it to the wife who shot two rounds through it. On the second round (round 28 total) the gun exploded in her hands.

I am certain that it was a double charged load and as such the failure would have occurred in any gun, however it was particularly destructive in the Glock 21.

The ammo was a .45 230 grain Speer Lawman JHP and that's a lot of pressure to double up the powder on which is what I am thinking must have happened. This is very rare with factory loads but apparently my wife won the reverse lottery yesterday.

She is ok, the laceration is not deep and as best we can tell she may have a broken trigger finger and several pieces of shrapnel in her hand but we are waiting for the swelling to go down for further evaluation. She is one tough lady.

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss223/libertyteeth1/received_1058390567518212_zps3ud0oh83.jpeg (http://s578.photobucket.com/user/libertyteeth1/media/received_1058390567518212_zps3ud0oh83.jpeg.html)

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss223/libertyteeth1/received_1058390570851545_zpsybtjgqoe.jpeg (http://s578.photobucket.com/user/libertyteeth1/media/received_1058390570851545_zpsybtjgqoe.jpeg.html)

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss223/libertyteeth1/received_1058390564184879_zpskodhjaj6.jpeg (http://s578.photobucket.com/user/libertyteeth1/media/received_1058390564184879_zpskodhjaj6.jpeg.html)

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss223/libertyteeth1/received_1058394747517794_zpsksiga8rb.jpeg (http://s578.photobucket.com/user/libertyteeth1/media/received_1058394747517794_zpsksiga8rb.jpeg.html)

http://i578.photobucket.com/albums/ss223/libertyteeth1/received_1058394754184460_zps08lbsfz5.jpeg (http://s578.photobucket.com/user/libertyteeth1/media/received_1058394754184460_zps08lbsfz5.jpeg.html)

Bruce Allen
September 08, 2015, 21:50
Sorry to hear about your wife's injuries but glad not worse!!

Have you had time to examine the internals of the pistol.. am wondering about the condition of the barrel..

Libertyteeth
September 08, 2015, 21:53
Sorry to hear about your wife's injuries but glad not worse!!

Have you had time to examine the internals of the pistol.. am wondering about the condition of the barrel..

thank you, yes it could have been much worse.

No, right now the entire pistol is locked totally shut with the brass still in the chamber. I am going to see if Glock wants to call it a warrenty issue... although my hopes are not high since its a gen 1 and I am not original owner... but hey, it cant hurt to ask since I would rather not be out the entire pistol

Right Side Up
September 08, 2015, 21:56
Sorry about the wife getting hurt. I can tell by her hands that she doesn't sit on her butt all day. She works.

Libertyteeth
September 08, 2015, 21:58
yeah, they are totally swollen in that picture but that she does.

meltblown
September 08, 2015, 22:00
thank you, yes it could have been much worse.

No, right now the entire pistol is locked totally shut with the brass still in the chamber. I am going to see if Glock wants to call it a warrenty issue... although my hopes are not high since its a gen 1 and I am not original owner... but hey, it cant hurt to ask since I would rather not be out the entire pistol

I think and pray mama will be ok. Glock would probably make it right for you, but mama will probably start thinking more about a different breed after this.

Libertyteeth
September 08, 2015, 22:01
yeah, she informed me that she will stick with 9mm in her glocks and leave the .45 to her 1911... I am just glad she will still shoot!

meltblown
September 08, 2015, 22:04
yeah, she informed me that she will stick with 9mm in her glocks and leave the .45 to her 1911... I am just glad she will still shoot!

Makes me take notice. I've thought about a Glock in 45 ACP or one for mama in 9mm. I think your wife is right. Leave the 45 to a 1911.

Libertyteeth
September 08, 2015, 22:06
yeah I really don't blame it on the gun. I am sure it was an over charged round... you double charge a .45 and that's a lot of pressure...

but still, she likes her 1911 and will stick to her Glock 43 for 9mm

308/223shooter
September 08, 2015, 23:02
Glock 21, not a fully supported chamber I believe. Still, the ammo manufacturer owes your missus big time.

SAFN49
September 09, 2015, 21:16
It would have been a lot worse if it happened in a 1911. I have seen plenty of 1911's blow the grips off, and the shrapnel damage from the grips, while shooting pins or trying to meet major power back in the 1990's.

Just sayin. The stippling probably didn't help and will actually weaken the factory frame.

spider991
September 09, 2015, 21:19
Glock 21, not a fully supported chamber I believe. Still, the ammo manufacturer owes your missus big time.

Agree. ....and not fully supported chamber my tookus....double load will blow the cylinder out of a ruger Blackhawk. .

Glad the Mrs is ok....God bless

nearmisses
September 10, 2015, 10:02
Glad it wasn't worse and hope your wife is getting better! As a rule reloaders are a cheap lot. It costs more to use a powder that fills a case, or at least gives a visual warning, powder everywhere, than not to. I prefer that to what you have here. I could load my 45LC Ruger with 13 Gr of Unique back in the day and maybe get a disastorous mistake by double charging or 23.5 gr of WW296. I like the full case with 296! If it was factory loaded ammo, well of late it has been subject to a lot more mistakes like the rest of the country, people aren't as precise as they once were or automation has made our minds numb to the fact things can and will go wrong & boom. Having worked for gun manufacturers I bet they fix it if they want the goodwill and not be sued.

4x401
September 10, 2015, 11:00
Glad your wifes OK. Check out what I did to my Gen 1 G-21...

http://thegunzone.com/glock/bullseye-v-21.html

hagar
September 10, 2015, 11:38
Sorry to hear about your wife, but she got off light. Just saw another pic from a Glock KABOOM, and it destroyed the guys hand. Literally ripped it to shreds, fingers missing, it was a horrible photo.:uhoh:

Libertyteeth
September 10, 2015, 16:08
UPDATE

The wife is doing much better. she has a piece of polymer stuck in her thumb that we are hoping will fester and come out like a splinter. If not we will likely have to go to DR for removal. Glock is going to be receiving the gun for evaluation and I will find out what they say.

yellowhand
September 10, 2015, 19:33
Glad your wifes OK. Check out what I did to my Gen 1 G-21...

http://thegunzone.com/glock/bullseye-v-21.html

What powder were you using, if I may ask?

I use Unique in mine, not sure it would double charge without spilling over.

That was ugly!

4x401
September 10, 2015, 22:59
What powder were you using, if I may ask?

I use Unique in mine, not sure it would double charge without spilling over.

That was ugly!

Ummmm, Bullseye. :D

brunop
September 11, 2015, 08:20
OP was using factory Speer.

kotengu
September 11, 2015, 09:48
I'm glad your wife is OK. I'm curious - why did you contact Glock and not Speer?

Tuscan Raider
September 11, 2015, 10:36
I'm glad your wife is OK. I'm curious - why did you contact Glock and not Speer?

Wondered the same thing.

Did you keep the ammo and box?

Libertyteeth
September 11, 2015, 15:24
Wondered the same thing.

Did you keep the ammo and box?

Actually contacted Both and Glock responded immediately. They said they would handle it and if it was their fault they would handle it and if it was speer's fault they would pass it on to them. The rep said they have a good relationship with speer and have gone through this with them before and its never been an issue. Speer has not gotten back to me yet, but I only made one attempt to email them. Since Glock is taking care of things for now I will just keep copies of everything in case I need to contact speer directly again. There have been no medical bills so at this point its just about getting the gun taken care of.

SteelGreyML
September 11, 2015, 15:27
Ouch!:eek:

I am glad the damage was not worse.

I hope your wife recovers well.

I was thinking that it is Speers fault too.

kotengu
September 11, 2015, 16:51
Actually contacted Both and Glock responded immediately. They said they would handle it and if it was their fault they would handle it and if it was speer's fault they would pass it on to them. The rep said they have a good relationship with speer and have gone through this with them before and its never been an issue. Speer has not gotten back to me yet, but I only made one attempt to email them. Since Glock is taking care of things for now I will just keep copies of everything in case I need to contact speer directly again. There have been no medical bills so at this point its just about getting the gun taken care of.

Wow - this is "above and beyond" for customer service! One more reason to buy a Glock.

Add to that: Doublecharge - kaboom - no medical bills. I cannot think of anything else a pistol could do to be described as a success in the safety realm.

Libertyteeth
September 11, 2015, 17:30
Wow - this is "above and beyond" for customer service! One more reason to buy a Glock.

Add to that: Doublecharge - kaboom - no medical bills. I cannot think of anything else a pistol could do to be described as a success in the safety realm.

yeah as of now im very impressed with glock but time will tell if they come through

Jaxxas
September 11, 2015, 21:41
Cool beans, I'm impressed!

notfrommt
September 11, 2015, 21:47
To me Glock is an American company and acts accordingly. They absolutely stand behind their product.

d762nato
September 12, 2015, 05:02
I hope your wife heals up quickly and that this doesn't make her gun shy as they say. I know after my rifle kaboom I was leary for a while. Maybe get her some thin deer skin or pig skin gloves for shooting her handguns. It would have helped probably with her injuries to her hand. Well good luck and I hope glock sends her a new pistola.

grumpy1
September 13, 2015, 01:23
Wow, your G21 looks a lot like my G20 about 15 years ago. My slide stop, mag release, and extractor were all ruined, along with a high cap mag (back when they were $150 where I live). I also didn't get any serious injuries.

I was shooting 180 Hornady XTP over like 13 grains of 2400 powder. It stretched the case head of the 10mm to about the same size as a .45 a acp case. I've racked my brain over what caused my explosion and I don't think it was a double charge. I have come up with two possibilities one that a large rifle primer made it into my large pistol primers or it could have been a light crimp on the bullet which when chambered pushed the bullet back in the case which would have created an over pressure. Back when I was in law enforcement, we had a detective who kept unloading and chambering the same round day after day which caused the bullet to get pushed back about a 1/4 inch into the case. Luckily, he noticed and showed it to one of the firearms instructors, not sure what would have happened to the Sig he was cading if he would have shot it but probably wouldn't have been good.

Hope all goes well for the Mrs. as well as the gun.

jugrunner
September 22, 2015, 12:23
yep .... very impressive .... :rolleyes: .... another reason NOT to buy a plastic pistol .... !!!!

palmettomoon
September 22, 2015, 19:06
Good to know she'll be okay, scary when that happens. I steer clear of this too from Kaboom Cartridge Company:

http://i62.tinypic.com/10fyk1z.jpg

Absolutely destroyed my brother's pistol which I was mag checking at the time. Never been so happy to count to five.

Libertyteeth
September 22, 2015, 20:48
ha ha. yeah. It was a scary moment... I saw the blast, then saw the blood and was really worried. But she has turned out to be ok. just sore

whirlibird
October 05, 2015, 14:55
Friend called me from the range where his 4 month old Gen 4 G21 stil lay.
Handloaded ammo, but not overcharge or setback, bad batch of cases with thin caseheads.
Of the 50, 6 were the same thickness, the rest were normal.

These once fired cases were originally fired from a fully supported 1911 barrel with a match chamber so expansion was not an issue.

Long story short, after the autopsy of the gun, it went back to Glock and for $65 he got a new frame and mags. The slide and associated parts including the barrel were perfectly fine.

I've posted pics before so I won't waste bandwidth on them again.

Bad things happen to good guns, it happens.

Texas Jaguar
October 05, 2015, 16:17
By the look of your wife's wounds she may well have foreign substances under the skin and buried in her flesh. The wound looks nasty and I'll wager she is sore as hell! Figuratively and actually. Watch close for signs of infection. I'm sure you both are but don't hesitate to seek professional care if things begin to look bad. Glad she came thru it as good as she did. She must be a trooper to still be willing to participate in future shooting outings.

Libertyteeth
October 28, 2015, 21:57
yeah she had several pieces of polymer fester and come out. everything else has healed well. the gun has been sent off to Glock and I am waiting for their response. It was factory ammo so if Glock says it was the ammo I will contact Speer

jugrunner
October 29, 2015, 13:32
yeah she had several pieces of polymer fester and come out. everything else has healed well. the gun has been sent off to Glock and I am waiting for their response. It was factory ammo so if Glock says it was the ammo I will contact Speer

Good luck my friend .... !@!!! .... just because I hate Glocks with a passion doesn't mean I'm not very glad your wife wasn't hurt badly .... and I hope you get the thing resolved to your satisfaction .... !

Libertyteeth
November 03, 2015, 21:31
Good luck my friend .... !@!!! .... just because I hate Glocks with a passion doesn't mean I'm not very glad your wife wasn't hurt badly .... and I hope you get the thing resolved to your satisfaction .... !

thanks

Cammer
April 27, 2016, 00:06

Any news from Glock/Speer on this?