PDA

View Full Version : RPD info. please !

John Crusher
September 07, 2015, 11:03
I've got Bren,BAR and Izzy HB Fal and am thinking about an RPD so I was wondering if you had a choice of the Vector or the Wiselite/ DSA which would you choose and why ? Thanks, John.

nopec
September 07, 2015, 13:15
For my dollar, I'd want one with the original barrel. They came in as mint kits before the barrel ban.

John Crusher
September 07, 2015, 14:40
Were Vectors preban? Is and early Wiselite also ? These are the ? I want answered as I'm looking at a chunk of change and prefer to get the best I can since I shoot alot and don't want 2nd class stuff.

Bubacus
September 07, 2015, 15:46
So Vector I believe was first on the block for a larger run of production model RPDs in semi. I've heard good things about them. DSA is the latest of the producers. Wise Lite makes interesting stuff , but I don't know about reliability issues with their version of the RPD. I'm just basing my opinion on a few experiences I've had with them and issues I've heard with their MG42. That being said, Tony was a nice guy and helped me fix a few things with my PPSH. So If I were buying one, I'd grab a Vector if possible.

Not mine, but one like this might fit the bill:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=505437687#PIC

Sagerider
September 08, 2015, 01:16
I don't think Wise Lite is into RPDs anymore and Vector is out of business due to defrauding the U.S. Government. DS Arms is still making the RPD in semi for us mortals and full auto for LE as far as I know. I have not heard much good news about any semi auto versions. Keep in mind these were designed to fire from an open bolt and going to a closed bolt presents problems with them functioning properly. Balancing the recoil spring with the striker spring is a pain in the ass. I am not sure but I am thinking the semi trigger system is the same in all three units.
I have heard that even with DS Arms there have been issues and if you go with one of the other two you are on your own. I have a Wise Lite and it took me a long time to figure it out so it would even function, bought it new built from old parts. The stock recoil spring is too much to be used with the semi auto striker spring which would not put a dent in your testical let alone in a 7.62 X 39 primer. If you put enough spring to dent the primer properly the combination of recoil and striker spring would not allow the mechanism to cycle. The striker spring rides on the recoil spring rod and when it and the metal striker block locks up on the trigger sear the remaining energy from the recoil spring must strip a round from the belt and cycle the feed mechanism. The balancing part is to have enough energy in the striker spring and enough in the recoil spring to do their respective jobs.

I eventually got the thing to cycle correctly, more or less, by cutting the stock recoil spring and stretching it slightly, making it a little weaker, and using a section of FAL recoil inner spring for the striker. The problem is there is not enough gas to operate the mechanism in the semi mode reliably even with the gas setting full open. The gas port hole in the barrel is fairly large as it is so opening it further to increase the gas is questionable in my limited opinion.
Knowing what I know now if I was to do it all over again I would go with DS Arms and their semi auto. The reason is you can send it back to be corrected when it won't work, then send it back again and again until it does, maybe. :/

If anyone else has any better ideas please post up.

gunplumber
September 08, 2015, 07:43
Mine were both full auto rewelds, so I can't help you on the SA.

As far as the gun goes, it was the smoothest shooting machinegun I've shot in along time. But still pretty useless. The RPK was a better gun, IMO.

Sagerider
September 08, 2015, 12:16
+1 for the RPK over the RPD. The RPK is lighter and reliable because it is an AK with a heavy barrel. The RPK can use 75 round drum magazines as well as the 30 and 40 round standard magazines. The drum and standard magazines are easy to reload while the RPD non disintegrating link belts are not. I have never seen a belt loader if one is made for the RPD.
The cool factor of a belt fed is there but it is a pain in the ass for the most part. The belts are 100 rounds just 25 more than a drum for the RPK. The RPD is not all that light to tote around either. No quick change for the barrel either just like the RPK.
My semi auto RPD lives in the back of the safe behind every thing else and hardly ever sees the light of day, been that way for quite some time. The trigger is heavy due to the striker spring tension having to be high enough to get a good whack on the cartridge primer and there is not much that can be done about it.
When I bought it years ago I thought it was pretty neat but these days the thrill is gone to actually take it out and shoot it. It is pretty cool to look at though. :)
If you got to have one check out DS Arms. Expect from $2,300 to north of $3,000 for one plus any belts and belt cans that you think you need to play Rambo.
Good luck

gunplumber
September 08, 2015, 12:26
Not really relevant to the discussion, but I have a little blurb on the RPD

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-misc/tutorial-rpd/page-rpd.shtml

Abominog
September 08, 2015, 12:54
If you're going to buy one off GB or somewhere, get a Vector. Period.

If you have a chance to test it first, go with something else, OK. For me, I'd only buy a Vector.

John Crusher
September 08, 2015, 21:13
GB if I could do a reweld FA it would have been my Bren. I understand why the Brits preferred worn out barrels as it's so darn accurate. I will look at a RPK thanks to you and Sagerider and Abominog. I did a little looking since at one time I had a NHM91 but think the Yugo is the better as it does have the cooling ribs on the barrel and I usually shoot quite a few rounds every range trip (weekly). Now it's a question of buy or build. Thanks guys, John.

gunplumber
September 09, 2015, 07:33
I would not recommend the Yugo. Yugos are unique to Yugo. Unless you want it just for cool.

Consider an AES10B with the original barrel. It's a more standardized design.

Abominog
September 09, 2015, 09:18
If you have the money, buy a Vector RPD. They are a boat load of fun, cheap to shoot, and very accurate.

John Crusher
September 09, 2015, 18:02
If you have the money, buy a Vector RPD. They are a boat load of fun, cheap to shoot, and very accurate.

I'm not sweating the $, God knows how much I spend on "hobbies" every year. I just may take you up on that idea. I'll have another beer and ponder the situation.

rtracy111
September 09, 2015, 21:52
I built one on DSA. If you are building this yourself you need to know DSA does not finish milling the last inch or a little more on the front area of the rails. It is my understanding that the idea is it is best for the rails to tighten right as the bolt goes into lock up. You finish mill it to your carrier after the work is completed on it. They are a bit of work to build but what a fun gun. I built it to sell three years ago to have the funds to build a couple more to sell and end up with enough funds for a m60 kit or PKM. I still want those to but I will keep the RPD. I did make the mistake of buying hollow points when I bought the first rounds not so good. Mine will not shoot hollow points. FMJ good to go.