PDA

View Full Version : How to get a PMR-30 over the FTF hump...

gates
September 03, 2015, 00:59
Without sending it back to Kel-tec...

I bot a brand new one last week from SGC - at retail (they have two more in stock if interested).

Winchester Dynapoint 40gr. is my test bed round because KT specifically says not to use it, I did, and it did jam (FTF), about every 5-10 rds. I took a few FTF live rds home for inspection, it was obvious the feed ramp/BBL mouth geometry was just slightly off (cases showed minor deformation).

I took my Dremel with a SMALL diameter stone, at a LOW setting, and broke the edge of the chamber at 6 o'clock on the BBL, you don't need to do anything more than break the sharp edge. Then I polished the feed ramp, the area that was ground and the 12 o'clock area inside the chamber.

Took it to the range tonight:-) it feeds EVERYTHING - plinker to high end SD. Takes about 10 minutes to make this gun run 100% - I have NO idea why KT sends these pistols out this way and suffers the negative reviews much less the returns - if a tech spent 10 minutes per pistol doing what I outlined they would have very few issues, but they restrict supply so people put up with it...

gates
September 03, 2015, 01:03
Forgot to mention - if you totally screw the pooch with the dremel a new BBL is $67.

ALL FAL
September 04, 2015, 16:18
Do you load the mag carefully and it feeds or can you now randomly fill the mag and she is good to go? I like the KT products and have considered the PMR30.

gates
September 04, 2015, 16:37
Yes you have to load it in a specific manner to avoid rim lock - just like a 7.62R rifle round.. There are strange key holing issues with certain grain weight/CCI offerings out of my pistol but the FTF issue has been resolved and the hot 30gr works very very well. It's still a rimfire and it gets dirty after a few hundred rounds which may cause issues but I have not experienced that (stopped to clean at the 300rd mark).

REALLY fun little pistol.

nearmisses
September 04, 2015, 23:20
So basically you chamfered the chamber which was a similar issue on the Stoeger Luger back in the day. I don't know why they don't buy a chamfering reamer from Clymer and just take a minute to do it right but companies do strange things and feed you a line of horsepucky like you should take it.

gates
September 05, 2015, 00:08
Yep - and it now runs like a raped ape:-) SO easy to fix if you know basic WESCOG... less than 5 minutes.

ftierson
September 05, 2015, 00:15
The one that I have has worked just fine out of the box using the Winchester Super-X 40gr JHP...

For what little it's worth...

Forrest

gates
September 05, 2015, 01:17
"The one that I have has worked just fine out of the box using the Winchester Super-X 40gr JHP..."

I tried the suggested CCI ammo and some worked, some did not prior to the modification.

ALL FAL
September 05, 2015, 18:49
Still the PMR 30 would be fun, would I trust my life to it? Only if I had to. PLR, any time.

ftierson
September 05, 2015, 19:59
"The one that I have has worked just fine out of the box using the Winchester Super-X 40gr JHP..."

I tried the suggested CCI ammo and some worked, some did not prior to the modification.

I see that you've edited your original somewhat snide comment about 50 rds just being a break-in when I mentioned nothing about rounds fired. I'm not quite sure what that snappy comment was about, but whatever... 50 rds fired with no problems would constitute a good break-in of sorts.

In fact, now that I have a couple of minutes to respond, I admit that I haven't put that many rounds through the PMR-30. The total count is only 200 rds, 50rds of the Winchester Super-X 40gr FMC and 150 rds of the Winchester Super-X 40gr JHP. Not a bobble with any of those...

I also have an old Grendel P-30 that is sitting at many more rounds right now, mostly the same ammo, with only a couple of bobbles over the years.

We all have our preferences about ammo and reasons behind those preferences (whether the reasons are good or not). Personally, although I shoot quite a bit of CCI .22LR ammo, I don't do CCI .22WMR ammo. I don't like the simple plated bullet that CCI uses in the .22WMR, much preferring a real jacketed bullet like the one that Win. uses in the 40gr JHP Super-X load (or the Armscor and PMC stuff made by Armscor in the Philippines used).

Yes, I know what Kel-Tec says about foreign ammo in the PMR-30 and what they recommend. I haven't shot any of the Armscor or PMC stuff yet, but will eventually.

I'm glad that 'breaking' the sharp edge on the bottom of the chamber fixed your problem.

Forrest

gates
September 05, 2015, 21:37
Yeah I reread what I wrote and it was dickish so I removed it. Took it to the range again this afternoon, fed the cheap ammo fine with one FTE but the guy I let shoot it limp wristed it on that shot and it worked flawlessly once I told him to hang onto the pistol. The cheap stuff is dirty though and probably not conducive to a trouble free extended shooting session without a cleaning.

ftierson
September 05, 2015, 21:50
Yeah I reread what I wrote and it was dickish so I removed it. Took it to the range again this afternoon, fed the cheap ammo fine with one FTE but the guy I let shoot it limp wristed it on that shot and it worked flawlessly once I told him to hang onto the pistol. The cheap stuff is dirty though and probably not conducive to a trouble free extended shooting session without a cleaning.

The gun is so light that limp-wristing can be a real problem...

But you have to love the flame-thrower aspects of the PMR-30... :)

Forrest

gates
September 05, 2015, 22:01
It IS a fun little pistol:D

ftierson
September 05, 2015, 22:11
A couple of quick additional comments about the PMR-30...

In true KelTec fashion (being quick to come up with innovative products but producing almost nothing), I tried to get a PMR-30 for years before I could actually find one available.

I bought a couple dozen mags several years ago (that has some significance for me since the 30rd mag is now illegal to buy in CO after 01JUL2013), long before I was able to pick up the gun (in Feb of 2013). While I was hoping for a black one, I finally ended up with a tan one (regardless of whatever stupid incorrect name their advertising boys call it (the color)).

Although I had to wait years for the gun, a call to KelTec got me a bunch of spare parts for it almost overnight. I haven't needed any parts, but the plastic buffer looks 'fragile.' I'm just commenting on the time disconnect between finding a gun and getting parts (and I ordered a majority of the parts that make up the whole gun). Kudos to KelTec for having parts immediately available, but damning that they don't put the parts together to have guns to sell.

I have a friend who has two of the PMR-30s, a black and a green. That leads me to a potential 'problem' with the gun. We were out shooting them one day and he complained to me that the trigger was very inconsistent, sometimes really light and sometimes a little heavier (although, having said that, the PMR-30 has a decent trigger out of the box). As I watched him shoot it, I noticed that he was milking the trigger. In other words, he was trying to take all the slack out of the trigger before it's final release. While I've never been a fan of milking triggers, it can work OK on some guns. It does not work on the PMR-30, since the milking is causing the sear to creep up to it's hammer release point resulting in inconsistent trigger pulls.

Just a word to the wise, don't milk the trigger of the PMR-30... :)

Forrest