PDA

View Full Version : AK industry...Question for the experts...

Libertyteeth
September 01, 2015, 21:33
Question I have...

With the recent rise in popularity of the AK-47/74 platform do you guys see this as being a continuing trend which would lend itself to business growth or is this likely to be a flash in the pan?

I am wondering if people are only gaining interest in the AK because they are swamped with AR rifles or if people are truly starting to learn to respect the qualities of the AK platform?

My theory is that the rise in population is coming from a better offering in quality AK rifles instead of people only getting their hands on the canted and bent Century rifles of a few years ago...

thoughts?:worthless:

CivyBlue
September 01, 2015, 23:19
A flash in the pan perhaps but after actually use em them I'm gonna say they're all sold on the ruggedness albeit less accurate AK. (But not much less accurate)

Respect after a few cut palms from learning how to charge the bolt...

Absolutely, the American market has been flooded now with quality rifles at affordable prices. So it really is a buyers market atm. Time will tell how insane it'll get.
.....(Buy it cheap, stack it deep!)

slavicshooter
September 02, 2015, 05:32
While I'm far from an expert, I think that the availability of quality AK rifles is driving sales. If you keep an AK simple by not adding too much funky furniture, the weapon is easy to handle and always dependable. Add a good magazine to the mix and you'll experience few malfunctions with decent ammo. This adds to the positive experience of the vast majority of shooters who, like me, would rather be pulling the trigger instead of PMing the rifle.~ss

Bubacus
September 02, 2015, 05:59
For a lot of people interested in the AK, they really appreciate the ruggedness of the rifle (or at least the reputation for ruggedness in some cases). The AK market has diversified offering a wide range of options for people with different budgets. It has become somewhat of a staple in the appetite for collectors and shooters. I think there will always be a market for them. When I bought my AKs, Norinco imports were about it. I also got on the build your own band wagon to build an AK-74 about 15 years ago. Scrolling through Atlantic Firearms and other sights are kind of dizzying when you see all the options.

def90
September 02, 2015, 07:40
A lot of guys over at AK Files are starting to build some nice modernized AKs..

As for market growth.. a lot of Ak guys seem to be notoriously cheap.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5750/20739525150_c4596ef728_b.jpg

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18312&stc=1&d=1432512638

gunplumber
September 02, 2015, 08:32
It's all dependent on the supply of surplus parts.

Aks are nothing like ARs in their modularity.

AK owners are mostly cheapskate trailer park losers: blasting TV sets at the local gravel pit, swilling Keystone, and speaking some ghetto dialect replete with "yo dog" and "that be tight an chit." Their solitary interest in AKs is how cheap they were. And the $200 Maadi, or the $225 Type 56S of 1990, set the stage. Even with inflation, the $400 WASR-10 got the ghetto trash all excited. Cheap guns for cheap people.

And then certain people said - hey, the AK isn't jut for illiterate, uneducated, Pabst-swilling peasants. It has a following among certain professionals who admire it's elegant simplicity. They are educated enough to understand and appreciate the philosophy of weapons design, and these people aren't satisfied with the cobbled together crap from CAI, IO, etc. They want representative samples of correctly built guns, by people who actually know what the specs are and why. That it isn't "just an ak" but a brilliant culmination of "less is more" at the mechanical level. But they found that very few people actually took the time to build a gun correctly, and even some "big name" builders were only on the edges of understanding (so I produced a book & DVD set to educate them - available in marketplace).

So you have 90% of the market whose only questions on your product will be "does it look cool and is it cheap?"

The other 8% will ask - does it have a tangible advantage over the standard part?

And 2% will say "nyet! Traditional only!

4duece
September 02, 2015, 09:05
Mark, how many of those guns have you built for the Trailer Park Trash? I see AK services on your website.

xtremerange
September 02, 2015, 09:16
Personal opinion is there is a generational change. (Warning hyperbole and generalizations follow.)

There is a significant number of older shooters who think the AK is a "commie rifle". They will never view it other than a piece of crap carried by those that would overturn the American way.

The people now middle aged and younger who are purchasing many new weapons do not have that same view. This generation is looking from the perspective of value (or cheapness) more than a historical one. With the volume going up in the AK market, enterprising individuals craft accessories and add ons to the AK platform for a market niche that did not exist 20 years ago.

Do not underestimate the effect of the internet as well. The pre-internet aftermarket was extremely limited in the ability to advertise accessories. More eyeballs seeing more pictures generates more interest.

Additionally, do not underestimate people's desires to own one of a kind or customized weapons.

gunplumber
September 02, 2015, 09:17
Mark, how many of those guns have you built for the Trailer Park Trash? I see AK services on your website.

None. They can't afford me.

But yes, I am well known around the more sophisticated customer. Ones who will not be heard saying "yo bitches, got me a Tapco banana clip fo my gat!"

I've built a couple thousand AKs over the last 20 odd years. It was this experience that gained me such insight into the AK market.

W.E.G.
September 02, 2015, 10:10
Will always be an interest in the AK by gun nuts.

No economic incentive though to get into AK's with AR's are so cheap now.

MajHenryWest
September 02, 2015, 15:44
Given that Century Arms is now producing a couple of variants that advertise 100% of components manufactured in the U.S. I would think that they have
done some market research that indicates the AK market is robust enough to support these investments.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Libertyteeth
September 02, 2015, 15:50
None. They can't afford me.

But yes, I am well known around the more sophisticated customer. Ones who will not be heard saying "yo bitches, got me a Tapco banana clip fo my gat!"

I've built a couple thousand AKs over the last 20 odd years. It was this experience that gained me such insight into the AK market.

sounds like your someone I need to get to know... ha ha. I am trying my best to learn as much about these rifles and learn to properly build them myself. Only problem is that short of going to the class offered by rifle dynamics I have found no way to learn short of youtube videos about guys building them in their garage... and frankly I learn better hands on than youtube viewing.

you have any recommendations for where a guy should get started on the learning portion?

JohnSkiS
September 02, 2015, 16:51
Maybe it's relevant, but for my part, I am a recent Kalash Konvert...I used to hate them.....I got back from my time in the USMC 2 in IQ and one Afghan as a grunt and I HATED AK's....foooking Muj gun......but I guess I think they're ok now......not completely, mind you....my AR is still my "SHTF" gun, my 1911 is still my concealed carry, and my FAL is my show off to friends gun...but after a few years of hating the AK, well, they won me over.....basically, bought a saiga in 7,62 to convert because our illustrious Chocolate Jesus executive ordered them out of import and I figured, why not, but anyways....converted it on a Carolina kit and after a few thousand rounds I guess you could say....I don't hate them any more

hueyville
September 02, 2015, 17:43
While I'm far from an expert, I think that the availability of quality AK rifles is driving sales. If you keep an AK simple by not adding too much funky furniture, the weapon is easy to handle and always dependable. Add a good magazine to the mix and you'll experience few malfunctions with decent ammo. This adds to the positive experience of the vast majority of shooters who, like me, would rather be pulling the trigger instead of PMing the rifle.~ss

I like having a few combloc rifles laying around for collector interest. Having them forces some effort into education and supporting the ones have kept. Still have a few to sell off when market rebounds but will always keep a few of my personally massaged Russian SKS's, AK's, and a few rarer oddballs. Have two SKS-M's will likely hold on to also. If economics, availability of parts, ammo and accuracy is paramount, the AR is a better choice for most, especially if want to roll your own. Have four Russin SKS's that swapped in Tapco triggers and massaged, added Trijicon night sites, Chinese 20 round box magazines and few other tricks that would take to a 125 yard and under fight with bag of stripper clips and not feel disadvantaged over most. Past 125 yards would pick up an AR as first choice and if 250 yard and under range might rather have an AR in 6.8.

Am as much a collector as end of world prepper. Have discovered my SKS's love cast bullets which has been nice. Shoot my shop SKS most every week at least one session to keep it familiar. Bottom line is choose what you like, make sure it always remains functional, reliable and practice with it. Ingrained muscle memory and instinctive shooting with a sling shot is better than any rifle that has reliability issues and little practice using. So I say buy what you like, practice, iron out any bugs that crop up and will do just fine. Know people that use a wide variety of what many call obsolete or substandard designs but will bring some fight to you that will likely bring on some hurt. Don't let anyone convince you your rifle of choice is crap if you know can bring it to bear with skill and confidence.

gunplumber
September 02, 2015, 18:19
sounds like your someone I need to get to know... ha ha. I am trying my best to learn as much about these rifles and learn to properly build them myself. Only problem is that short of going to the class offered by rifle dynamics I have found no way to learn short of youtube videos about guys building them in their garage... and frankly I learn better hands on than youtube viewing.

you have any recommendations for where a guy should get started on the learning portion?

Buy my DVD & Workbook set.

It's cheap, compared to one mistake. http://falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377917

Libertyteeth
September 02, 2015, 18:27
sounds good... This month I am strapped by a large ammo purchase but if I sell my FAL ill get it. Otherwise itll be a month or two. thnx:bow::bow:

Bubacus
September 02, 2015, 19:22
Looks like the Kalashnikov Concern thinks it is still a market as well...I just want them to bring in their version of the 9mm AK for shorter money than the domestic builds.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v666/NY-EMT/IWA%202010/048.jpg

Libertyteeth
September 02, 2015, 19:28
:bow::bow::bow::uhoh: drool!!! :uhoh::bow::bow::bow:

:homerdrool:

D.Brown
September 12, 2015, 02:42
I have to point out that Finland's Valmets are AKs.

Most valmet receivers start as a forged block, are milled, and some (civilian) were polished, to the point of a mirror finish and then blued. NO you will not find milling marks.

MTK considered the Bulgarians to build the best example of his rifles; he was a RUSSIAN who never forgot the motherland's experience in Finland.

EDIT:

This is to acknowledge that they are the exception which proves the norm. No the PBR crowd does not shoot .30-06 or .243 Valmets.

Plumber 308
September 12, 2015, 03:12
In Detroit MI area over last 5 years the prices have risen steeply. On Armslist you see people selling for $750-$1000 for those early canted sight guns. Even parts kits have risen. In 2000 it was possible to get a decent de-milled kit for $100, now something at that same level with all parts is in $500-$700 range. Prices are market driven and I think the hysteria of POTUS wanting to pass significant gun control before he leaves office is driving market. Right now you can get a AR15 from PSA for $400 (kit) and a stripped lower for under $50. My son purchased a new in box Century 39 with milled receiver for $450, but hammer was high and needed to be polished down. There are deals to be found but the days of getting a AMD 65 with original barrel in de-milled receiver for $99 are over and the ammo is not cheap any more ( about the same as .223). So I do not know if market is surging because of worry about laws or a general interest in the gun itself. Before my son bought the C39 he took his time and built a RPK with only new part being receiver and I think he has right around $400 into it, but he has a FAL Metric kit I gave him in 2001 that I bought from Tapco when they were a importer ( remember those $49 stens?). But a scroll through the big net retailers show interest is gaining, not waning in the AK platform. As long as there is demand there will be supply.

JWH
September 12, 2015, 08:09
I'm an AK fan. I have a couple Russian guns that are modernized, & make the 2% GP is talking about angry/sad.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/soberhuey/Mobile%20Uploads/20150701_142219.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/soberhuey/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150701_142219.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/soberhuey/Mobile%20Uploads/20150615_161800.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/soberhuey/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150615_161800.jpg.html)

The few others I have are just standard, traditional rifles.
The one quality they all share is boring reliability, which I find to be a wonderful thing.
The fact that ammo is less expensive, usually, than other intermediate rifle rounds leads to me shooting my AKs more, and that is nice too. AK rifles, for me, are much more fun to shoot than their AR pattern counterparts.
I'm a fan for sure. Great guns.

Jarhead504
September 13, 2015, 19:46
A lot of guys over at AK Files are starting to build some nice modernized AKs..

As for market growth.. a lot of Ak guys seem to be notoriously cheap.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5750/20739525150_c4596ef728_b.jpg

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18312&stc=1&d=1432512638

That is a beautiful example of the AK species. Good job brother!

Jarhead504
September 13, 2015, 19:48
I'm an AK fan. I have a couple Russian guns that are modernized, & make the 2% GP is talking about angry/sad.

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/soberhuey/Mobile%20Uploads/20150701_142219.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/soberhuey/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150701_142219.jpg.html)

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l609/soberhuey/Mobile%20Uploads/20150615_161800.jpg (http://s1126.photobucket.com/user/soberhuey/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150615_161800.jpg.html)

And yours too brother JWH! Very clean and purposeful pieces for social, political ,cultural and economic stability.

Jarhead

Timber Wolf
September 13, 2015, 20:59
All I know is, when the AK became a "platform" TEOTWAWKI is upon us!:eek:

.30-06
September 15, 2015, 18:44
The AK is a wonderful platform, but the supply is drying up, I'm sure it will keep going, but eventually AK's will become a lot more expensive.

Libertyteeth
September 16, 2015, 15:30
well I find it fascinating how people are waking up to the quality of what an AK can be

HankC
September 16, 2015, 18:22
With several US made AKs in the market, AK price should come down significantly while toolings already made. Can't think of a good reason to pay more for a sheet metal receiver AK while AR price is down to 4 bills. I built 2 AKs just bit over $200 each when part kits were plenty and cheap.

dtom29
September 16, 2015, 22:53

If you're a hands on guy why not go to Jim's (Rifle Dynamics) class? Jim is a great guy, personable, and does great work. I have 4 of his AK's and one of his Fal's. I'm sure Marks video is good, but you said you wanted hands on type of instruction. By the way, A close friend of mine has one of Marks Ak's. I've shot it and he does great work.

dtom29
September 16, 2015, 23:03
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/dtom29/fulleraks74u2011.jpg
some of Jim's work.

dtom29
September 16, 2015, 23:08
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg208/dtom29/PICT0221.jpg

A few more...

Libertyteeth
September 17, 2015, 15:40
If you're a hands on guy why not go to Jim's (Rifle Dynamics) class? Jim is a great guy, personable, and does great work. I have 4 of his AK's and one of his Fal's. I'm sure Marks video is good, but you said you wanted hands on type of instruction. By the way, A close friend of mine has one of Marks Ak's. I've shot it and he does great work.

I have actually been saving my pennies for that exact class. I am hoping to attend next spring or early summer as schedules allow

Taquero07
September 18, 2015, 03:40
last i heard was the class at RD was $1900. no thanks.

Libertyteeth
September 18, 2015, 17:10
last i heard was the class at RD was $1900. no thanks.

yeah the $1900 price tag is steep but you take home a rifle (minimum value $600... probably higher than that) which helps with the cost and have you ever taken any gun smith classes? They Aint cheap no where

If there was a cheaper class on the AK I would think he might have to worry but no one else does it...

Jarhead504
September 18, 2015, 23:49
Question I have...

With the recent rise in popularity of the AK-47/74 platform?

AK platform?

I dasn't knowed da' AK was a platform too, like the po' misaligned chile of Brother Eugene.

You bess be NEVAH callin' a FAL o' a M-Fo'teen a platform. You be in mo' trouble the you evah be in befo'. I promises you dat.

Jarhead

Libertyteeth
September 19, 2015, 15:28
ok, educate me... whats wrong with referring to a firearm type as a platform?

I am truly in the dark on this bit of nuance
:confused:

Story
September 22, 2015, 12:14
ok, educate me... whats wrong with referring to a firearm type as a platform?

I am truly in the dark on this bit of nuance
:confused:

"Platform" (along with "operator" & "running"*) is part of the lexicon of onanistic neckbeards.

Nothing good can come from being an onanistic neckbeard.

Also, obligatory statement.

http://www.threeimaginarygirls.com/files/uploaded-images/wolverines.jpg

gunplumber
September 22, 2015, 12:30
"platform" is an excellent term for referring to the base product/receiver type on which there are multiple variants constructed.

I also do not understand the considerable angst expressed by those opposing such an excellent descriptive term.

ColeKira
September 22, 2015, 14:18
I've been shooting for 30 years and collecting for 20. I've bought and sold and traded my fair share of handguns and rifles. My firearms range from $10k to $100 busted up Flobert. For whatever reason, I've never desired to own an AK until I recently fell in love with my Galil, an IMI 386. On that note, what should be my first AK?

Libertyteeth
September 22, 2015, 15:34
"Platform" (along with "operator" & "running"*) is part of the lexicon of onanistic neckbeards.

Nothing good can come from being an onanistic neckbeard.

Also, obligatory statement.

http://www.threeimaginarygirls.com/files/uploaded-images/wolverines.jpg

your personal dislike of the term still does not make the term incorrect. When referring to a firearm family with different models and variations from which you will apply accessories and other gear the term platform seems to me to be the perfect term. You would not mount an acog with a 5.56 BDC reticle onto your AMD-65... why? because that optic was designed for a different __________. Hmm what other word makes more sense.

Besides, banning words they don't like always seemed a neckbeard move anyway.

Story
September 22, 2015, 21:37
You would not mount an acog with a 5.56 BDC reticle onto your AMD-65... why? because that optic was designed for a different __________. anyway.

Rifle.

See how unpretentious that was?

Besides, banning words they don't like always seemed a neckbeard move anyway.

Who said anything about 'banning'? :facepalm:

Y'all just knock yourselves out there.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/64/dc/59/64dc596ecaa0bb21b51cec76899ef8d8.jpg

Libertyteeth
September 22, 2015, 21:59
nice shoes:rolleyes:

Taquero07
September 25, 2015, 15:53
I've been shooting for 30 years and collecting for 20. I've bought and sold and traded my fair share of handguns and rifles. My firearms range from $10k to $100 busted up Flobert. For whatever reason, I've never desired to own an AK until I recently fell in love with my Galil, an IMI 386. On that note, what should be my first AK?

the question should be, "what should be my second AK?"
you already have your first

TOWS220
September 27, 2015, 17:01
I would bet the word platform migrated from the defense industry and engineering lexicon.

Barbcue
October 03, 2015, 23:28
i want to buy a few of the Russian guns or the Molot's but i cant get over the no bullet guide issue no provision for cleaning rod etc..

And i dont want a non mil spec riveted or whatever crappy half assed non mil spec cheap easy way people are doing them,, especially at the price of these abortions cost to begin with..

So its "almost correct" spec Wasr's for under $600 for me until we get imports that are even remotely correct to original spec's..

Thank god for the Wasr 10's !! i own 4 already..everything else on the current market is overpriced and Half assed..

pre1989
October 03, 2015, 23:45
Issue I see is IO and other USA compaines flooding us with cheep crap AK .. People get sucker into a IO and hate AK from then ..

Century screwed up with there own guns .. Yes they are decent for the most part but they should have keep importing will they can

Ak are not a flash in the pan ( 5.45 maybe more so ) ...We been importing them since 1960 and I dont see it stopping ( well 1960 were full autos I mostly mean early to late 80s on)