PDA

View Full Version : ? Remington model 7

4duece
August 21, 2015, 11:46
I just got a really good deal on one in 300 saum, for $350. Like new with laminated stock. Anyone here have any experience with the caliber?

MAINER
August 22, 2015, 12:02
Only in that a Benchrest shooting friend has me on the look-out for 7MM or .300 SAUM cases. Seems the 7's are hard to find and he necks the 300's down.

I would stock up on ammo or at least cases if I had one.

4duece
August 22, 2015, 16:24
Yes I'm finding that out having a really good time trying to find someone who carries it. I was told it went the way of the 8mm Remington Mag .. How is it on big game ? I can get some ammo at the next gun show. I seen it before but now that I need it I can't find it.

MAINER
August 23, 2015, 08:15
Yes I'm finding that out having a really good time trying to find someone who carries it. I was told it went the way of the 8mm Remington Mag .. How is it on big game ?

For hunting it should be like a 30-06 on steroids with about 150 to 200 fps increase with most bullet weights. It seems to like the same powders (4064, 4350, 4831) for reloading the same bullet weights also.

The Kiwi's seem to like it in the Model 7 for a lightweight, long range rifle in the high places.
http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.300+Remington+Short+Action+Ultra+Magnum.html

Rifle to carry a lot, shoot a little. :D

hueyville
August 27, 2015, 17:00
Midway has Remington 7mm Saum and 300 Saum for 84 cents a piece. Also Norma 300 Saum for 1.72 each. Dunno what his intentions are but would be tempted to buy a little of each and see if necking down the 300 to 7mm resulted in thicker necks.

Often found that necking down 30-06 to 25-06 and other similar situations gives a thicker neck which allows turning or reaming to get more consistent neck thickness and can fit to chamber better. Of course have issue of potential mix up due to improper head stamp. Anytime I can get more meat in neck then use chamber cast to accurately measure and then turn or ream case to get a snug neck fit take the opportunity to reduce clearance can gives better accuracy in many situations.