PDA

View Full Version : Browning Automatic Rifle

fnscar
August 16, 2015, 08:03
Hello,

I read that the manufacturer produced 61.000 for the US Army.
Has anyone got more information about the serial numbers and markings on the receiver?

Thank you.

I linked a picture via dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxfc45ty9wikore/BAR.png?dl=0[/url]

SPEEDGUNNER
August 16, 2015, 08:33
To capsulize without going into a lot of detail, There was no single manufacturer of the Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR). The original model designation was M1918 and they were select fire semi and full auto. Manufactured by Colt, Winchester and Marlin Rockwell towards the end of hostilities in Europe in WWI. The rifle went through a couple of slight changes between the wars, evolving from the M1918, the M1918A1, becoming the heavier (with addition of bipod) full auto only M1918A2 we saw in WWII. Many of the WWI guns were upgraded to A2 while IBM, and New England Small Arms took up manufacture to meet demand. Additionally, Royal McBee Typwriter made BAR's during the Korean War.

There are many great resources for knowledge regarding development and use of the BAR, as well as just a simple search on the web. I would recommend "Rock in a Hard Place" by James Ballou, a must have for the library of any military historian.

Beautiful rifle with a long service history. Maligned at times for weight and limited mag capacity, the BAR was a force multiplier through 2 wars and more than a few conflicts and many a GI grew to love them.

fnscar
August 16, 2015, 11:10
Thank you very much for your answer.
The manufacturer of my BAR is the Royal Typewriter Company.
Serial number is 869398 followed by AA 625.
Any more infos on the number?

Douglas Wozny
August 28, 2015, 08:10
The AA 625 could be a rebuild mark. But Augusta Arsenal close in 1955 It might be for Anniston Army Depot May 1962.