PDA

View Full Version : JFK's M1 Garand History and Future Auction

GApilot
August 15, 2015, 15:37
Personally I have a great deal of respect for the M1 Garand. The history is rich and its ability for shooting well can't be compared (even with bad TE and ME). I wanted to share this link with fellow members who happen to also appreciate the M1 Garand.

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/historically-significant-m1-garand-history/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=081515chronicle&utm_campaign=081515-wanttoownthemosthistoricallysignificantm1garand

:tinfoilhat:

2barearms
August 15, 2015, 18:22
An interesting piece and rifle. The fact that it was owned by a Democrat
President would make it worth less though.

Arby
August 15, 2015, 23:05
The fact that it was owned by a Democrat
President would make it worth less though.

Less than what? The asking price?

Tuscan Raider
August 15, 2015, 23:51
My prediction:

$67,500

2barearms
August 16, 2015, 06:36
Less than what? The asking price?

Yes. I don't see any collector paying huge premium for it.

Tailback
August 16, 2015, 13:36
Buy the rifle, not the story. I don't buy safe queens. Every rifle I own gets shot, or it gets sold.

Impala_Guy
August 16, 2015, 13:59
It last sold at auction in 2013. I think it brought around $40k. Few serious Garand collectors have that kind of scratch laying around and those that do want a gas trap rifle or a jap copy. I had a pre pearl harbor M1 and a 6 mil NM rifle with SRS documentation to the AMU. Neither one brought more than $6k at auction and I kick myself everyday for selling them. If somebody gave me JFKs rifle tomorrow I'd sell it and buy those two guns back.

Democrat1
August 17, 2015, 17:12
I am a Democrat, really like Garands, and I would not pay that much for such a rifle.

2barearms
August 18, 2015, 11:57
I am a Democrat, really like Garands, and I would not pay that much for such a rifle.

So you like Garands? But vote to have them taken away?

BiGB808
August 18, 2015, 12:51
he might be one of the democrats who was the KKK..you know the "enforcement arm" of the democrat wing back in the day

Those democrats liked guns to keep them uppity Negros in line.

https://realdemocrathistory.wordpress.com/2008/05/15/the-kkk-was-the-terrorist-wing-of-the-democrat-party/

2barearms
August 18, 2015, 13:40
he might be one of the democrats who was the KKK..you know the "enforcement arm" of the democrat wing back in the day

Those democrats liked guns to keep them uppity Negros in line.

https://realdemocrathistory.wordpress.com/2008/05/15/the-kkk-was-the-terrorist-wing-of-the-democrat-party/

Not one of those that like the way those sheets feel right out of the drier?

Democrat1
August 18, 2015, 15:26
So you like Garands? But vote to have them taken away?

I like Garands, and FALs also.

I've been an elected official for 25 years and never gotten less than an A rating from NRA.

Family lore is that my Maternal Grandfather had a cross burned on his lawn by the KKK in Indiana. The KKK had a list of people they wanted to kill hereabouts in the 1930s, and my Paternal Grandfather was on it. The Police Chief of Detroit came by one day and presented him a concealed weapons permit and a .32 revolver, and told him to carry it.

VALMET
August 18, 2015, 16:11
Author of the CTD piece refers to it as the "most historically significant" M1 Garand? His opinion perhaps, but I'm not so sure. I'd rather have one of the original gas traps myself. I mean sure it's significant, but it isn't like the AR-15 "coconut rifle" that JFK (and other officials) handled to familiarize themselves with the AR, and it isn't like this Garand is tied to a historic event...JFK owned it, thats awesome, but most historically significant???

Impala_Guy
August 18, 2015, 17:10
Author of the CTD piece refers to it as the "most historically significant" M1 Garand? His opinion perhaps, but I'm not so sure. I'd rather have one of the original gas traps myself. I mean sure it's significant, but it isn't like the AR-15 "coconut rifle" that JFK (and other officials) handled to familiarize themselves with the AR, and it isn't like this Garand is tied to a historic event...JFK owned it, thats awesome, but most historically significant???

Audie Murphy shot two escaping Germans off their horses running at full gallop. I have that rifle in my safe. Its been through a couple of "arsenal refurbishments" since then though.

gates
August 19, 2015, 01:30
$100k for a Garand? umm... no. I don't care who owned it.