PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 1301 Tactical Semi Auto shotgun 18"

nearmisses
August 07, 2015, 23:04
Here's a link to what appears to be a pretty good deal on a Beretta if anyone is interested, $799.00 is the price. 18" bbl , Ghost ring sights and tridium dots I believe.
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Beretta-1301-Tactical-Semi-Auto-12-GA-Shotgun-p/j131t18le.htm
Almost wishing I had more covers made up so I could get one of these instead of an old 1100 to fix up for same duty.

MAINER
August 08, 2015, 10:40
It may be a good price, but $800 is still a bunch of money for a single purpose Shotgun. Nothing wrong with a Remy 1100 that I know of.

For that much scratch, you could buy 2 1/2 Remy 870's or three J C Higgins Model 20's like the one I bought recently. :biggrin:

nearmisses
August 08, 2015, 12:23
But it shoots 38% faster! Kind of like the Russian one Spetznav uses that was faster to deliver rounds, Ha! As slow as I am I need every advantage I can get! Actually, and reasonable to buy used. I really like the 1100, they are a very reliable shotgun, I even bought an extended tube to put on a 21" deer slug barreled one I will eventually find for 400.00 on GB and re-park and finish the way I want it. I was thinking of tryibg to re-do the gasport so it would fire those short Aguilla rounds. Interesting project.

MAINER
August 08, 2015, 16:56
Did I mention that the JC Higgins is a "slamfire"? :biggrin:

Yup, just like the old Win. 97. :love:

I might give you a slight edge in "aimed" rapid fire, however. :tongue:

Remember the trick shooter that hit 9-10? hand thrown clays with a Benelli ? auto. I think he said throwing the clays was the hard part, but that was some good shooting.

Got a Rem 870 Express Mag with a 20" Deer Slug barrel and rifle sights. Mine is actually a smoothbore with a rifled Choke tube, but I think others had a fully rifled barrel. I added a two shot extension Mag tube. Later picked up a 28" standard barrel with interchangeable choke tubes, just in case I didn't want to take the 1100 or the fancy O/U out on a rainy day.

Have heard of the Aguilla shorty's, but not used them. I would think the 1100 could be set up for them, but my 1100 was purchased in '65 and I have no idea about later ones.
I'm sure those Aguilla's would work just fine in my Model 20 JC Higgins. :D

nearmisses
August 08, 2015, 20:47
Win 12 was that way too if I recall correctly. Still, as lazy as the FAL has made me I'd forget to pump it, ha! We were shooting with the grand kids for Easter and using an old Pump Winchester instead of our 10-22 and I kept forgetting one must pump it! At least the Henry lever was something easier to remember. Too used to auto everything kind of world. Ah, those momentary lapses in memory.

I have heard the shorty Aguilla's don't function in an auto but haven't had the opportunity to witness first hand. They do work well in an 870! As for the barrels some are smooth in the deer bbl some are rifled, hunt and fetch. I like the 21" length, my business partner has one of the 21" bbled Remington 1100 special field straight grip models with interchangable chokes. Now that's a sweet 1100! They command 800plus dollars. Sooner or later OI will end up with a Boomer. Till then, FAL and 10-22, a few 45's will fill the bill.

MAINER
August 09, 2015, 09:58
Win 12 was that way too if I recall correctly. Still, as lazy as the FAL has made me I'd forget to pump it, ha! We were shooting with the grand kids for Easter and using an old Pump Winchester instead of our 10-22 and I kept forgetting one must pump it!

:rofl:
Quilty! Had a heck of a time getting used to the 870 after all the years with an 1100.
A lot of birdies got away as I was trying to remember to reload. :sad:

After that learning curve, I now try to pump the 1100. :facepalm:

nearmisses
August 09, 2015, 20:20
That's too true! It's like trying to do an old Brit Triumph right hand shift after the left shift standardized in 75' for 40 years, just doesn't come as easy anymore! I guess I'll have to hunt with the FAL now too or I'll be screwing up my Mauser waiting for it to load itself. Gettin' too old to switch anymore.

Fn/form
August 10, 2015, 17:41
If only the 18" had chokes. I won't own another 18"+ without chokes.

MAINER
August 11, 2015, 12:26
That's too true! It's like trying to do an old Brit Triumph right hand shift after the left shift standardized in 75' for 40 years, just doesn't come as easy anymore! I guess I'll have to hunt with the FAL now too or I'll be screwing up my Mauser waiting for it to load itself. Gettin' too old to switch anymore.

My work truck was a standard and the family transport unit at the time was an auto trans for the Mrs's.
Came home from work, loaded the family car with vacation gear plus family and headed north. At the top of the on-ramp, I shifted the Auto tranny into second gear? :uhoh:
After a second or two of wtf, I pulled the lever down into "D", for drive I assume. :tongue:
Surprisingly, the car survived the experiment quite well and little or no damage was done. The family on the other hand were somewhat agitated and didn't sleep well on the trip. :whistling:

FN/Form;
Do they even sell a Shotty without changeable choke tubes any more. If so, I won't buy it.
I may make an exception for a double barreled 12 Coach Gun. Thinking that cylinder bores and 00 Buck should work well together.
CZ makes a real nice one. :love:

Fn/form
August 12, 2015, 16:58
FN/Form;
Do they even sell a Shotty without changeable choke tubes any more. If so, I won't buy it.
I may make an exception for a double barreled 12 Coach Gun. Thinking that cylinder bores and 00 Buck should work well together.
CZ makes a real nice one. :love:

Tne FN SLP is IC. The Beretta Tac isn't. The Beretta Comp has IC but 22".

After seeing how small the velocity differences are between 18" and 24", and after FAIL at distant plate racks with non-IC 18", all I want is an 18" IC Beretta Tac. I might even go for the Kick off system too.

J. Armstrong
August 12, 2015, 20:19
Those JC Higgins were made by High Standard and are, IMHO vastly underrated shotguns. Slick as snot, mine have always been dead stone reliable, too. Just be careful if you field strip the lower from the receiver. The lower is alloy and is located at the front by a pair of small lugs which are easily broken. Replacement lowers are scarce-ish and pricey, last I looked.

I have a Benelli M1S90 which came with a "light load" set of springs. The Aquilas might work with those installed - hmmmm.........

Still looking for the muzzle device I have heard was available for the S90. I have the adapter, just never saw the rest of it for sale anywhere.

gates
August 15, 2015, 02:47
I have two TAC shotguns - one fairly expensive, a Benelli M4, and a Mossy 930, I took them both to an outdoor range and shot slugs and double ought buck - on targets - 25 and 50 yards. Save your $ and buy the 930 if this is a SHTF gun, they BOTH performed equally. Was the Benelli more refined YES, is the trigger better YES, is it worth 2x the 930's price? no! they both the job.

I'm keeping both, hoping my daughters eventually date a MAN.

MAINER
August 15, 2015, 08:15
[QUOTE=J. Armstrong;4092469]Those JC Higgins were made by High Standard and are, IMHO vastly underrated shotguns. Slick as snot, mine have always been dead stone reliable, too. Just be careful if you field strip the lower from the receiver. The lower is alloy and is located at the front by a pair of small lugs which are easily broken. Replacement lowers are scarce-ish and pricey, last I looked.QUOTE]

Thanks for the info J. I hadn't picked up on the alloy trigger housing, probably because there is little to no wear on it. I would rate the condition of this JC Higgins at 98%, unbelievable for a Shotty made in '49 according to the date info I found. I've had a hard time finding any evidence of it having been fired except for slight discoloration around the firing pin hole on the bolt face.

I love the Pacmayer "Power-Pac" compensator-choke on it. That honker would make a 20MM Oberdorf proud. :D

nearmisses
August 15, 2015, 13:01
[QUOTE=J. Armstrong;4092469]
I have a Benelli M1S90 which came with a "light load" set of springs. The Aquilas might work with those installed - hmmmm.........

I have a box of Aguila's I am saving to try to re-do the gas port in an 1100, I would love to know if they'll work in that Benelli. You said it had a light load spring? Where does it go? I thought it was a Gas gun, not long recoil?? Interesting. More please!!

Fn/form
August 15, 2015, 16:27
I have two TAC shotguns - one fairly expensive, a Benelli M4, and a Mossy 930, I took them both to an outdoor range and shot slugs and double ought buck - on targets - 25 and 50 yards. Save your $ and buy the 930 if this is a SHTF gun, they BOTH performed equally. Was the Benelli more refined YES, is the trigger better YES, is it worth 2x the 930's price? no! they both the job.

I'm keeping both, hoping my daughters eventually date a MAN.

A lot of 3-gunners would disagree with the 930 reliability thing, JM Pro or not.

MAINER
August 16, 2015, 10:35
[QUOTE=J. Armstrong;4092469]

I have a box of Aguila's I am saving to try to re-do the gas port in an 1100, I would love to know if they'll work in that Benelli. You said it had a light load spring? Where does it go? I thought it was a Gas gun, not long recoil?? Interesting. More please!!

Is your Remy a standard 1100 or a 1100 Mag? The gas port(s) on the Mag are smaller of course and I doubt this barrel would ever function with light loads let alone the Aquilla shorty's.
I don't know of a way to make an 1100 work with really light loads other than open the ports, but I have to keep my old '65 1100 gas ports clean to use low brass "Dove" loads when shooting Clays. Make sure your ports are not carboned up.
Model 1100 "Target" or Skeet barrels have larger ports that work better with low pressure loads.
OR, you might find a clunker barrel and ream the ports for the Aquilla's.

nearmisses
August 16, 2015, 17:57
[QUOTE=nearmisses;4093439]

Is your Remy a standard 1100 or a 1100 Mag? The gas port(s) on the Mag are smaller of course and I doubt this barrel would ever function with light loads let alone the Aquilla shorty's.
I don't know of a way to make an 1100 work with really light loads other than open the ports, but I have to keep my old '65 1100 gas ports clean to use low brass "Dove" loads when shooting Clays. Make sure your ports are not carboned up.
Model 1100 "Target" or Skeet barrels have larger ports that work better with low pressure loads.
OR, you might find a clunker barrel and ream the ports for the Aquilla's.
I haven't bought one yet but when I do it will be a 2 3/4" 1100 with a slug bbl. or if I get lucky a Special Field straight grip and 21"bbl. I figured it might need a small ream but would make bbl a dedicated one to the Aguilla's.

MAINER
August 17, 2015, 10:40
You got me interested in the Aquila shorty's so I poked around a bit looking for info.
Some shooters that have tried them in Pump and Bolt guns are saying they can't get the Shorty's to feed reliably.
I am going to try the Aquila's in my JC Higgins M20 and the 870. If they don't work, I've got an old Harrington & Richardson break-open single barrel that hasn't been fired in 50 years or so. :D

Good luck with the 1100, can't remember seeing one in the used gun racks for quite some time.

nearmisses
November 24, 2015, 20:34
Hey Guy's I finally got an 1100! I was a bit skeptial as I don't, in my long memory with firearms ever remember seeing one such as this, exactly. Another dealer assured me these were made and sold at Kmart and Wal Mart and tried to show me one in a Blue Book but??? Those say dull stock and dull blue metal finish. Anyway, the one I got has NO ENGRAVING like the Tactical and Special Field but doesn't say anything other than Remington 1100 on the left side and then the serial number which is P1179xx M and all metal is dull blued. The Right side of the receiver is plain and no writing what so ever unlike the Tactical and Special Field they have front bottom right side. The furniture is standard gloss stock like on all of them. Anybody here remember these well enough to say you actually saw one? It's definitly NOT a reblue, it's a factory finish. I added a 3 shot extension tube. I found out I could put 14 shorty shells in the tube! Now if I can make them feed and repeat! Tell me what you know about these. I will be sending in the serial number to Remington for an answer.

J. Armstrong
November 24, 2015, 21:59
For that much scratch, you could buy 2 1/2 Remy 870's or three J C Higgins Model 20's like the one I bought recently. :biggrin:

Heck, around here you could buy 5 or 6 JC Higgins/High Standards for $800 :)

Really like the HS's and their rebranded brethren. They need a bit of extra cleaning now and again since they run tolerances tighter than most modern shotties. The only real disadvantage I can think of is that it is pretty easy to bust off the locating fingers on the alloy lower if'n you are careless when reassembling it. If you do that, you can kiss it goodbye - replacement lowers were unobtanium last I checked. Reminds me, I need to look for a couple of them with busted lowers - good spares for the rest of the herd !

nearmisses
November 25, 2015, 13:32
I contacted Remington and overnight they sent these responces.
Dear Mr. Brodhead,
Thank you for contacting Remington! According to the serial number provided, your 1100 was manufactured in 1986 as an 1100 Special Purpose Deer that originally came with a 21" improved cylinder choke and rifle sights. We appreciate your continued support and have a happy holiday season.

I then asked what stock it came with and got this: This would have been high gloss walnut wood.

That is exactly what I have! I am pleased. Got the Gun for 343.00 shipped and insured and some tax for the dealer that supposedly goes to the state along with a transfer fee of only 25.00. Under 400.00 was my goal and I made it.
I am going to splurge and get the speed loader latch that Dave's metal works too and have the extension already on it! Happy Thanksgiving Guys and Gals!