View Full Version : Old War Horse followed me home ...

August 07, 2015, 18:37
I know it's been re-barreled ... markings are slightly wrong and front sight is wrong ... barrel looks and is new ... or NOS something ...

smoothest Colt I've ever held ... !!! ... they don't make the new revolvers like this ... it may have had an action job with the re-barrel ... I can't believe how tight this thing is ...

stupid low price because of the "work" but I'm very pleased ...

Retired Bum
August 07, 2015, 19:21
Since the collector value of that Model 1917 Colt has been destroyed you could always give it the "Fitz Special" treatment if you get bored with it.

And so it goes.

The Retired One

August 07, 2015, 19:50
well ... I bought it to shoot so for $200.00 I'm pleased ... I bet it shoots well ...

August 07, 2015, 20:08
I like them old things, especially if'n you can choot'em. You didn't have to say what you paid for it though, but now that the cats out of the bag,,,if'n you get bored wit it, remember we're palz......:wink:

Retired Bum
August 07, 2015, 22:38
Last December I bought a Model 1917 Smith & Wesson. Paid $900 for it. But it was all original including the grips. Almost minty with a perfect bore and chambers. I showed it to a pal of mine a couple of months ago and he wanted it bad. I turned down $1000. I've seen ratty looking S&W M1917's on gun auction sites with buy now prices running anywhere from $1200 to $1800.

Two years ago I saw a mint supposedly never fired since leaving the factory Colt M1917. It was priced at $1000 and included the correct leather holster. I have always rated the S&W M1917 as superior to the Colt M1917. Much better finish and superior double action trigger. I should have bought the Colt but I was looking for a Smith so I gave it a pass.

You snooze You lose......

And so it goes.

The Retired One

August 08, 2015, 12:03
I would have bought it, too. A good shooter, indeed.

August 08, 2015, 12:32
That's awesome! Love classic old revolvers, especially at that price- congrats!

August 08, 2015, 14:05
being a "Smith" man, I was kinda shocked when I cocked this one ...

of course trigger is about 5lb but crisp release ... feels like it's actually had a little action work ... whoever did the barrel knew what they were doing ... front sight is nothing like original but it's a long ramp style and appears the "perfect" height ... I'll know when I shoot it ...

the barrel has the correct contour and IS new ... only marked "45 Cal." ... I could get the front sight replaced and re-blue the thing and have a pretty good "fake" ...

But ...

I think I'll just leave it alone and shoot it ... it appears it was re-worked to shoot ...

thanks gentlemen ... :bow:

Timber Wolf
August 16, 2015, 14:28
There used to be a lot of those replacement barrels floating around. I bought one from Sarco to replace the butchered barrel on an old New Service .45 Colt. I don't know anything for sure but think Numrich probably had a hand in their creation. I have an unmolested Colt 1917 I bought, then sold, then bought back. One of the few gun sale mistakes I have managed to correct over the years.;)