PDA

View Full Version : Lipseys .357/9mm blackhawk

croftonaviation
August 03, 2015, 12:58
Well in wanting a companion for my .44 special blackhawk I picked up one of the new .357/9mm stainless steel flattop Blackhawks. These guns are an offering from lipseys. The grips that come on it are a nice rosewood, in the "gun fighter" profile. The fit on them is decent for factory grips, although color wise, one is considerably darker than the other. Fit and finish on the metal was excellent. The trigger pull was ok out of the box, and after unhooking one of the dog legs on the trigger return spring was very good. I should note the dealer had two of these, the trigger on the other gun was really crappy, so inspect before you buy if at all possible.

Shooting was a blast. Accuracy with the 38 special was very good with 2" groups off hand at 15 yards. This opened up a little with the 9mm but not much. Both cylinders were able to hit a full sized steel silhouette at 50 yards 6 out of 6 shots. The sights were great after a orange paint job on the front sight. The 9mm was hitting about 3" lower than the 38 special loads I was shooting. Both cylinders loaded and unloaded fine with no binding.

Out the door with tax was just a hair over $600. If your looking for a nice single action revolver that would be cheap to plink with but still pack a punch this would make a fine choice. Barrel lengths of 4 5/8 and 5 1/2" are available.

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy245/croftonaviation/image.jpg1_zpsdiwqbejx.jpg (http://s796.photobucket.com/user/croftonaviation/media/image.jpg1_zpsdiwqbejx.jpg.html)

Here with the .44 special on top

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy245/croftonaviation/image.jpg2_zpsypobasj9.jpg (http://s796.photobucket.com/user/croftonaviation/media/image.jpg2_zpsypobasj9.jpg.html)
The .357 with the 9mm cylinder

Hopefully I can get some better pictures on my day off

Tom

Retired Bum
August 03, 2015, 16:00
Good looking single actions.....

I have an old three screw aka "old model" Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible with the 6.5 inch barrel. It has a very good trigger and when I mounted it in my Ransom Rest and shot it at 25 yards I got very good groups with my handloaded 150 grain LSWC .357 rounds. Five shot groups of 1.25 inch . Jacketed 158 grain HP rounds did a tiny bit better at 1.10 inch.

I also shot it with the 9mm cylinder and Winchester 115 grain FMJ factory loads. Accuracy was much poorer due to the undersized .355 inch bullet. Average group size was around 3.5 inches. My 9mm handloads did no better.

Just for the hell of it I dug out a box of the 9mm Federal rimmed rounds I had stashed away. These rounds will properly headspace in the 9mm cylinder. The factory load used a 115 grain JHP rated at 1275 fps. A slight increase in accuracy with 3.20 inch groups.

I consider shooting 9mm rounds in the Blackhawk basically a waste of ammo. Besides if I want to shoot a 9mm revolver then I break out my S&W Model 547 M&P and have at it.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

fnogger
August 03, 2015, 22:45
Good looking single actions.....

I have an old three screw aka "old model" Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible with the 6.5 inch barrel. It has a very good trigger and when I mounted it in my Ransom Rest and shot it at 25 yards I got very good groups with my handloaded 150 grain LSWC .357 rounds. Five shot groups of 1.25 inch . Jacketed 158 grain HP rounds did a tiny bit better at 1.10 inch.

I also shot it with the 9mm cylinder and Winchester 115 grain FMJ factory loads. Accuracy was much poorer due to the undersized .355 inch bullet. Average group size was around 3.5 inches. My 9mm handloads did no better.

Just for the hell of it I dug out a box of the 9mm Federal rimmed rounds I had stashed away. These rounds will properly headspace in the 9mm cylinder. The factory load used a 115 grain JHP rated at 1275 fps. A slight increase in accuracy with 3.20 inch groups.

I consider shooting 9mm rounds in the Blackhawk basically a waste of ammo. Besides if I want to shoot a 9mm revolver then I break out my S&W Model 547 M&P and have at it.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One

But for a non-reloader, 9mm is *much* cheaper than 38 special

Retired Bum
August 03, 2015, 23:38
I haven't bought any factory .38 Special ammo for at least ten years except for one box of older Remington 200 grain RNL Super Police rounds that I found at a gun show a few years ago. I have enough handloaded .38's put away to last me a very long time. Ditto 9mm 115 grain FMJ.

I should hit the local gun shops and see if they have any of the Speer .38 +P 135 grain Gold Dot's. My supply of the Federal +P 129 grain Hydra-Shoks is getting low.

And so it goes.

The Retired One