PDA

View Full Version : shortened Cruiser

inch man
July 30, 2015, 20:53
Seen some stuff about a 12 Guage Mossberg Cruiser being cut down to 14" barrel and adding a birdshead grip to make it 26 1/2" long overall. According to them, perfectly legal. Any one know?

J. Armstrong
July 30, 2015, 20:59
I always thought that the barrel needed to be 18" minimum AND the overall length also had to be 26 1/2" (or whatever the exact requirement is).

I'll be interested in hearing the straight deal from someone more knowledgable than I, though :D

mutter
July 30, 2015, 21:44
run!

cavegeo
July 30, 2015, 21:51
I believe that would be an AOW, which just $5 to register it with ATF. Check with a knowledgeable FFL. But I do believe they are legal to own just a little paperwork. If I understand the rules correctly the receiver has to come from the factory with no stock installed could come with a pistol grip though which is how many shotguns come from the Mossberg factory.

fnogger
July 31, 2015, 08:56
If a Cruiser leaves the factory with *just* a pistol grip, it isn't a shotgun. It isn't a rifle or a handgun. It is just a firearm.

So as long as it stays the minimum OAL you can have the short barrel and no tax stamp.

ATF letters are links from this page - http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?page_id=88

J. Armstrong
July 31, 2015, 09:45
Interesting - thanks for the edumacation :bow:

Artful
July 31, 2015, 13:48
Always remember the BATFE makes the regulations
- they can change the regulations without input from congress who makes the laws and the regulations don't have to follow the laws exactly as BATFE "interprets" the Laws for enforcement.
- the regulations don't have to make sense or have logic
- you must obey the regulations.
- the regulations are subject to change without prior notice.

:bow:

Timber Wolf
July 31, 2015, 14:51
I understand what is going on legal wise, but what is gained by shortening the barrel and lengthening the grip? Is it supposed to be easier to hold and/or control or something?

inch man
July 31, 2015, 20:25
Birdshead grips are very comfortable to shoot. Doesn't jam the Web of your hand. Makes a good truck gun. Can't be carried concealed though. Has to be longer than 26".