PDA

View Full Version : Elcan spectre DR worth $2200.00 ?????????

paulb2112
July 24, 2015, 17:46
Looks like they are very nice but...............damn.........

Tgeorgi2002
July 24, 2015, 18:23
I had one briefly, the 1-4x model. Amazingly clear optics. Very heavy though. I sold it to a member here. I believe i paid $1650 shipped for it. $2200 sounds like the suggested retail price.

d762nato
July 28, 2015, 06:08
You must be looking at the 1x4 because the 1.5x6 is quite a bit more than the price you mentioned. They can be picked up used for less though if you look around some. I've got a 1.5x6 on my scar17 and it's a nice optic short and more compact than a regular scope that's what I like about it and being crystal clear. It is heavy though but most anything that is built to be tough is going to be heavier. It does have a built in mount too so that has to be taken into account when looking at price also.

paulb2112
July 29, 2015, 09:40
Well, I've had a email / call into them and shown area rep's for a while now with not a peep.
Not impressive sales force.
What would warranty or support be like?:confused:

d762nato
July 30, 2015, 06:47
There are several distributors of elcans around, who did you try to contact that didn't reply? I sent you a pm with some info on one dealer who I've heard nothing but good things/service about. Pm me if you'd like I'm off to the market.

gunplumber
July 30, 2015, 07:55
I had the older Elcan, and really didn't like it. http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-fal/scar-review/scar-04.jpg

Yes it was good quality and clear, but it was heavy and bulky. I got a killer deal on 10 of them or I wouldn't have it at all. Ended up selling them and switching to ACOGs. I have a 3.5x ACOG on all of my SCAR 17s and a 3x on my SCAR-16a. But again, I lucked into them in a quantity purchase. Still don't like how high they sit. http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/notes-fal/scar-review/scar-camo-05.jpg

I'll probably switch to a nightforce so I can move up to 6x. I think 3.5x is too low for a .308's capability.

I don't think the switch lever is worth $1000 more than turning a dial. Cool, but not +$1000 cooler.

So no, I wouldn't bother. There are better options in a general purpose scope, of equal quality.

d762nato
July 30, 2015, 13:08
I like the acogs also but like you mentioned GP their a fixed power. I like the way it rides also on your 17. The Elcan Specter Dr's aren't as bulky as the old one you used to have in your pic I don't believe, certainly not the 1x4 power. The 1.5x6 weighs 22.3 ozs. with built in mount, alot of scopes with the mount will weigh this alot of times or more if its a quick detach. The one thing that does bug me is there is no focus for when your eyes get aged otherwise the scope is clear and built well with great illumination day or night. That lever that flips it from 1.5x6 or 1x4 is nice also like you mentioned.

I kind of wouldn't mind having the 1x4 for that lower to the bore ride of the overall optic, but then again its a 1x4 on a 7.62x51 and does'nt give you that pin point shooting accuracy I guess for way out there. It should have a great fov though at 1x in the 1x4 model. I'd like to have the NF-2.5x10x24 mil/mil possibly but they will be hard to find and cost as much as the elcan. I haven't gotten to run my 1.5x6 yet to see how I really like it overall but I did get it for the price of a 1x4 so I had to give it a go. I guess time will tell, there certainly are alot of options these days just not enough $$ to try then all.

superjc
July 30, 2015, 22:07
I'm enjoying mine... it's like having a big screen TV... borrowed from savings to try out for a while since optics seem to hold their value over time if you take care of them. helps when you are 6'5" like me, a tad hefty

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/svc350/DSC_0212_zps5cvokyca.jpg

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/svc350/DSC_0215_zpsxf1plwze.jpg

I really like 6X optics

EX1
August 03, 2015, 21:45
Hello I have had the 1x4 that I bought here on the files on my SCAR 17 I loved it but sold it and bought the 1.5 x6 . Optics are super clear.Its a little heavy but I can get past that.EX1

d762nato
August 12, 2015, 06:11
Hello I have had the 1x4 that I bought here on the files on my SCAR 17 I loved it but sold it and bought the 1.5 x6 . Optics are super clear.Its a little heavy but I can get past that.EX1

I like the 1.5x6 also but I like the way the 1x4 rides lower on the rifle. I just wish the 1.5x6 used the same housing or tube as the 1x4. I guess every thing in life can't be perfect and my 1.5x6 will have to do but I still wouldn't mind having a 1x4. I just wish they didn't cost so much or I'd have a 1x4 also to compare the two to each other.