PDA

View Full Version : Glock 19 weak ejection?

Sagerider
July 23, 2015, 22:20
So I have this Glock 19 with a weak ejection issue. (Ejection not ejaculation)
Stock recoil spring and rod.
Does not matter what load is shot in it.
Cases go straight up and hit me in the head, dang it!
Cases sometimes only make it 8 inches up and fall back on my hands.
Looks to be something wrong but everything looks OK as far s I can tell.
Any ideas?

hagar
July 24, 2015, 10:54
Generation 4? Seems to be a common issue with the early ones, there may have been a recall or fix.

W.E.G.
July 24, 2015, 11:00
Numerous instances.

Unfixable.

If you have one that does it, get rid of it.

Complaining on the internet won't fix it.

There's your answer.

It's a shame, since Glock is almost always rugged, simple, and reliable.

Sagerider
July 24, 2015, 11:57
I thought complaining on the internet fixed everything!
What kind of dumb answer is that W.E.G.? Too much coffee this morning?
I have never heard of any issue with Glocks like I am seeing anywhere. Any information about this would be helpful.

I am running 124 grain round nose with 7.5 grains of Blue Dot, not the best powder but it is what I can get. I moved up to 7.9 grains which is max in my Speer book and it seems to help. I tried this in my 17 as well with the same results but improved slightly with 7.9 grains. OAL in in spec so that is not an issue. Factory ammo is not much better. I ordered a 15 pound recoil spring from Wolff to see if that helps.
The 19 is a first gen. Which I got used many years ago.

hagar
July 24, 2015, 12:26
I thought complaining on the internet fixed everything!
What kind of dumb answer is that W.E.G.? Too much coffee this morning?
I have never heard of any issue with Glocks like I am seeing anywhere. Any information about this would be helpful.

I am running 124 grain round nose with 7.5 grains of Blue Dot, not the best powder but it is what I can get. I moved up to 7.9 grains which is max in my Speer book and it seems to help. I tried this in my 17 as well with the same results but improved slightly with 7.9 grains. OAL in in spec so that is not an issue. Factory ammo is not much better. I ordered a 15 pound recoil spring from Wolff to see if that helps.
The 19 is a first gen. Which I got used many years ago.

I think Jeter's back is hurting from sleepin on a WW2 army cot at Camp Perry and making him (more) grumpy..;)

Blue Dot is not a good 9mm pistol powder, too slow. Might not have enough recoil impulse to function as designed. Try it with some factory loads, cheap Winchester 9mm FMJ should work fine, at least they do in mine.

W.E.G.
July 24, 2015, 12:27
I've never seen anybody that had a BTF Glock that ever got it fixed, except a few guys who said they fixed it, and then later posted that it was "doing it again."

Good luck.

I have more than one Glock myself.

Been lucky that mine have not been BTF problems.

Its my belief that it is some sort of combination of how the gun is designed, and how the shooter's hand reacts to the recoil impulse. Although, some have posted that their Glocks BTF no matter who shoots it, and no matter how they hold it.

I can't redesign my hand.

All my Glocks do shoot low left though.
When I've commented on it, somebody always posts that stupid chart.

Yeah, if I grasp the gun in a really weird, and unnatural way, the bullets do hit in a different place on the target - and especially if I shoot a very specific ammo and I can also remember to hold my mouth just right throughout the recoil cycle.

Good luck with it my friend.

W.E.G.
July 24, 2015, 12:29
I think Jeter's back is hurting from sleepin on a WW2 army cot at Camp Perry...

Yeah, but at least I made the President's 223.

That's gotta count for sumthin'!

VALMET
July 24, 2015, 12:32
Glocks seemed to have that issue roughly between the end of 2011 and 2013 and by then most of the BTF problems seem to have been ironed out. I have a 19 mfg'd in Feb 2012 and had that issue occasionally and I switched the extractor out (switched the one in the gun out with a factory #0274 ejector) and it seemed to remedy the problem. What is the prefix of your SN?

hagar
July 24, 2015, 12:44
Yeah, but at least I made the President's 223.

That's gotta count for sumthin'!

Hey congrats! Wish I still had the eyes or the skills to shoot Camp Perry and do well. Only went to Perry once, in 2002, and shot a 260 something out of 300. Had a total miss at 600 after they called a ceasefire because of boats in the impact area. Either the round overheated and ripped apart in mid air, or I hit one of those gigantic dragonflies, because it did not even make it to the target.

Sagerider
July 24, 2015, 14:52
Congratulations for a good job at Camp Perry W.E.G.! :)

Just got off the phone with an outfit that sells Factory Glock parts and was told that changing the ejector out for a gen 4 ejector should solve the problem, emphasis on should. You have to buy the trigger housing for $8.00 apiece and pull the ejector off and install it in your unit.

The first letters in the gen 1 are BCR the gen 3 is REA with a 336 ejector.
On the gen 1 I have to stupid belt clip on it and taking it apart for the umteith time is not going to happen right now. I misplaced the stock pin but when I find it the belt clip is coming off. The clip locks into the take down slot so unless you unscrew the belt clip and remove it you can't take the slide off, awesome.

Yeah, I know the Blue Dot is not the best but that is all I could get at this point.
Powder availability really sucks so I use what I can get.

Thanks for the info about the problem. YouTube has some good information about the problem.
Over and out.

W.E.G.
July 24, 2015, 15:10
Let us know how it works out for ya.

Its not that there's anything wrong with the gun.

Its just that your head's in the wrong place.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/WECSOG/springface.jpg

VALMET
July 24, 2015, 17:01
The 336 is the one I swapped out in mine with an 2074. Your Gen 3 would be a 2011 so could be near the beginning of the batch that experienced the BTF problems. With BCR your other Glock would be a Gen 2.

Mauser_556
July 26, 2015, 13:55
This is probably what you seek:

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDirect/Products/Category?categoryId=23

Sagerider
July 27, 2015, 03:23
The new ejectors are on the way so we will find out if they are the cure or not shortly. :)

VALMET
July 28, 2015, 10:45
Best if luck- let us know how it works out. Hopefully this is the fix.

Sagerider
July 29, 2015, 13:55
Wolff 15 pound recoil spring showed up today in the mail box!
Standard for the 19 is 18 pounds, so says Wolff.
The fifteen pound spring works great, cases exit with authority as they should up and to the right not slightly up and straight back to my head. :)
I ordered a 16 and a 17 pound spring for further testing.
I ordered a set for the 17 today, stock so says Wolff is 17 pounds for the 17.
I ordered a 15 and a 16 pound spring.

As for the 19 I bought it used many years ago and have no idea what weight spring was in it. The 17 I bought new so it is stock at 17 pounds.

Waiting for new gen 4 ejectors to show up.

Sagerider
August 02, 2015, 14:30
Got the gen 4 ejectors installed with zero problems. All that is required is to push the pin out and raise the ejector housing enough to expose the rear of the ejector and push it forward with a narrow blade screw driver. Pull it forward and out with a pair of suitable small pliers and push the new one in place. Piece of cake.
Testing with the 19 showed improvement, up and to the right rear. Not spectacular but defiantly an improvement. The last one out though still goes straight up, why, don't know, don't care, k. This is with the 15 pound Wolff recoil spring and guide rod installed.
The 17 with the factory recoil spring and the new gen 4 ejector functioned perfectly up and to the right rear, no issues. Not spectacular ejection but adequate. I would prefer a bit more robust ejection personally but as long as the job is accomplished 100% that is good enough.
I will try changing out the extractor on the 19 with an updated unit and see how that goes. The 17 is fine and will remain as it is now with an updated extractor and ejector.

On a side note while I was doing all this swapping of parts I installed my old and forgotten KKM Precision stainless barrel in the 19 replacing the polywog stock barrel with the KKM that has actual rifling in it. Surprise surprise it shoots much better! :)

Bloodnut
August 03, 2015, 20:14
I have noticed that my recent production Gen4 G26 will very consistently toss the last casing in the mag more or less straight back at me. I strongly suspect this has something to do with the follower design. Very many Glocks will "eject" the brass out the bottom of the magwell when fired with no mag installed. In other words, it seems that the ammo in the mag influences how the spent casing ejects and then when the spent casing interacts with the follower, something different happens. 'Course, I could be wrong. Weak ammo makes it worse.

Sagerider
August 04, 2015, 01:30
I was thinking the very same thing about the last round and the magazine follower profile.
The new more robust looking ejector nests with it very well, further testing is required however.
I am looking forward to getting the KKM barrels, they are on the way as are the Wolff recoil springs for the 34 and the 17.
I will continue to update over this next week as everything should be here within the next day or so.

Sagerider
August 09, 2015, 01:03
So the KKM barrels showed up as well as the 17/34 recoil springs. The 17 stock spring is a 17 pound spring which I changed out for the 16 pounder. Function is acceptable with ejection up and over the right shoulder. A 15 pound spring may be better but I am concerned about battering.
The extractor does not seem to make any difference but the ejector and recoil spring do help to get the empties up, out and to the right. I still wish there were a little more of a robust ejection but I will take this improvement.
The KKM barrels fit perfectly and shoot better than the stock barrels for me. I feel very confident recommending these barrels for the Glock 9mm pistols.